Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• adonis10
    • By adonis10 8th Jan 18, 9:01 AM
    • 1,517Posts
    • 199Thanks
    New car dilemma
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:01 AM
    New car dilemma 8th Jan 18 at 9:01 AM
    Newbie to the forum looking for advice!

Firstly, I am not overly bothered about having a flash car or what others think of what I drive so my decision comes down to a few factors:

- does it look nice, relatively 'sporty'. Well, when I say 'sporty' I just mean it is not really boring and dull.
    - how does it drive?
    - price and longevity.
    - running costs and depreciation.

In my 17 years of driving I've had only 3 cars (5 years, 8 years and 4 years) with the first two being used until no longer economically viable so simply part exchanged in for a few hundred at the time of buying the new one. My current car is a 3 door 2.0 TDci Focus, 2007 plate with 99k on the clock. In the past year it has had a new clutch, water pump, brake discs, starter motor and battery so it is very well maintained. Also had a new cambelt on 80k. Some key items have been replaced which can only help me sell it for a fairly good price. On the flipside, having not long ago incurred these costs if I decide to replace it now I will have no chance of recouping this spend.

I have been offered a 3 year old car which fits my criteria, albeit smaller than my current car, for a good £1,500 less than the general market value (in the family hence the generous price) which has only 9k on the clock and 2 very low use owners. Engine is much smaller which at first was a concern but on further inspection I have found that it is only 12bhp less than my current car, 0-60 difference is negligible. Running cost wise - zero tax, slightly cheaper insurance, probably more economical on fuel (although my research suggests that the mpg figures quoted are very ambitious, shall we say) but worst case scenario I would expect it to be no worse than the mpg that I currently get. Other benefits:
    - car is 7 years newer so obviously less chance of bigger ticket repairs in the immediate future
    - I could even sell it in 12-18 months and probably not lose much money given the discounted price I am buying it for.

I do like my current car very much but understand that the older it gets, the more that needs to be repaired so it is an inevitability that costs will add up over the next few years and perhaps it is time to sell it whilst it has some trade in value.

I am money conscious so hate the thought of having to shell out £5.5k (after selling my car) and depreciation concerns me, but this will apply to most cars (classics aside, which I cannot afford anyway). However, common sense suggests that over the next 2-3 years I will have to shell out 5-7k for a new car anyway so why not take advantage of a car that is some 15% cheaper than MV and I know that it has been very well looked after.

Can anyone think of any other considerations that I may have missed? Advice and opinions welcomed.
    Last edited by adonis10; 08-01-2018 at 9:06 AM.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,265Posts Today

6,755Users online

Martin's Twitter