Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 8th Jan 18, 7:32 AM
    • 6,669Posts
    • 38,621Thanks
    determined new ms
    What small moneysaving things will you be doing this week? W/C 08/01/18
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:32 AM
    What small moneysaving things will you be doing this week? W/C 08/01/18 8th Jan 18 at 7:32 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 £3016.55/Roadkill £8.73
    Wombling 2018 £145.73/RK £0.04
Page 4
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 10th Jan 18, 1:35 PM
    • 1,349 Posts
    • 10,095 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    All this talk of razors has reminded me to epilate before I go to the physio tomorrow! It does save a fortune on razor blades. I paid £30 for mine.

Ladies - I can really recommend it. It doesn't really hurt after the first couple of times.

Gents... Well I guess you could try it on your beard but I imagine it would WRECK
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £9433.44
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 10th Jan 18, 1:54 PM
    • 637 Posts
    • 6,051 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Vick & Dawn, great news about your DH's.
    Fvd, the paninis sound lovely!
    Hi to everyone else

Operation "get myself back on track" is a go!
    Todays list
    First Gym session done of the year and refilled water bottle there twice (works out at less then 75p a session as I usually go 5 days a week )
    Dad brought round some English muffins that he'd picked up ys'd, so we had them for breakfast (and he's calling in again tomorrow so I'll save the other two muffins for then)
    Cleaned out the conservatory, not really mse but kept me busy so I wasn't spending!
    Updated bullet journal page with DIY jobs that need doing as I've realised that the shed roof is leaking - we have the felt etc in the garage to use but need a good dry day to do it, my dad says he'll help me do it (read I'll help him do it) when he returns from holiday in a couple of weeks
    Updated bullet journal page with meal plan on and added another page of meal's we like but don't think about cooking often! Should help mix up what we eat a bit.
    Also need to look for an old rosemary conley recipe for turkey stroganoff online as we used to like it but I didn't keep the little recipe book thing it was in and can't remember how to make it can't find the same one we did.
    Make families lunches for tomorrow (easy this one as the kids sandwiches are made in the freezer ready just need to make dh's and put together all their lunch boxes later)
    Continue working way through useup box, we are having gammon, veg and jacket potato tonight, so will make a packet peppercorn sauce up to go with it out of the box, I don't have any steak in the house to go with it so will use it up this way
    Check banking/update spreadsheets, waiting for a £100 switch incentive to come through which would make my emergency fund look a lot better as I had to dip into it for dh's car tyres on Monday as I didn't have enough to cover it in my car fund. I'd budgeted £250 but they cost £320!
    Radiator shuffle washing, the heaters aren't on as I'm home alone and its much milder today, but they will go on in the morning as dh gets up if not tonight.
    Book Mr t shop for the weekend so that I get the slot I want, didn't get this done yesterday

That's all I can think of for now! Have a good afternoon all.

Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 10-01-2018 at 2:37 PM.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 10th Jan 18, 4:21 PM
    • 2,206 Posts
    • 10,608 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    I have no plans to light the stove as the living room is still pleasantly warm from when it was lit on Monday

As you say fatrab the micro things all make a difference to the pennies in our pocket. The price of razors is eye watering, unfortunately I like my men clean shaven.

I so wish I could regularly eat at DawnW's her meals often make me salivate.

DawnW I'm so pleased your OH has gained a positive outlook to his health that will go quiet some way towards his healing, even if you have had to pay out for the appointments.

Today's plans:
    Make a batch of porridge
    Make a loaf of bread, we have decided to use the bread maker (it makes this type of loaf better than I can in the oven) as the kitchen is only 13.2c I will move the BM to the living room so the dough rises better.
    Set WM to run overnight
    Set DW to run overnight
    RMSurvey
    FPL etc
    NSD
    Drop of donations to food bank
    Use lego brick to prop keyboard up with as foot has broken off
    Eat pear children were avoiding as it had a bruise, I cut out the small bruise the rest was delicious
    Finished dd banana as a posed to starting a second
    Read weekly email
    Renew library books
    Request audio books from library

Apr '17 GC £280/117.17(overspend March) +
    Jan - Mar '17 GC £910/1027.17
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 10th Jan 18, 5:52 PM
    • 4,737 Posts
    • 36,538 Thanks
    DawnW

I so wish I could regularly eat at DawnW's her meals often make me salivate.

DawnW I'm so pleased your OH has gained a positive outlook to his health that will go quiet some way towards his healing, even if you have had to pay out for the appointments.
    Originally posted by Baileys Babe
    Goodness BB, most of what we eat is homegrown / foraged or reduced / on offer... and I should be able to cook ok at my age We were into self sufficiency back in the 70s/80s, and still do what we can. We no longer have goats, chickens, ducks, lambs etc and don't make cheese /do serious butchery etc any more, just cook from scratch, pick blackberries etc and grow what we can in our little garden.

Your house sounds lovely btw, reminds me of somewhere we used to live We just have a little terraced house on the edge of a small, not very prosperous market town now, and I do miss it all
    NSDs for January 5 /18
    Decluttering 20 /31

• vickthestick
    • By vickthestick 10th Jan 18, 6:54 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 1,464 Thanks
    vickthestick
    I had to bite the bullet on the debts and shift it all onto a Loan.
    We should be better off as we (read I) won't be paying the escalating fees on DH debts.
    Best go fix the signature.

How does the bullet journal work?
    Womble #9 2018 £0 / Roadkill £0
    Loan £175.40 /month until October 2018 Loan £312.21 /month until April 2025
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 10th Jan 18, 8:46 PM
    • 1,349 Posts
    • 10,095 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Quick tot up of the evening:

• B/L/D from stores (at least for me!) - done but had to buy a plain pizza from tesco and top it myself
    • Charge phone in work - done
    • Crochet - off to do this now
    • No alcohol - done
    • Brisk walk at lunch time to get the blood flowing - done
    • Book Asda shop for click and collect - done
    • Write out meal plan - done
    • Take cash out for physio app tomorrow - done
    • Might update the budget spreadsheet. Would normally wait for OH but I feel a tad twitchy about it. - done. Fund fund looking shocking.
    Originally posted by carrielovesfanta
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £9433.44
    • vickthestick
    • By vickthestick 11th Jan 18, 7:31 AM
    • 190 Posts
    • 1,464 Thanks
    vickthestick
    Morning all,
    Today, I am:
    - Going to work, where study leave has started and I get lots of spare time to catch up
    - Making a packed lunch for work
    - Going to Rainbows - it costs me nothing but my time and is the most fun ever
    - Checking the bank
    - Getting to grips with the free trial of YNAB

Have a great day everyone x
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 11th Jan 18, 7:42 AM
    • 1,973 Posts
    • 13,282 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning all Dawn and vick glad you have good news on your DH.

My efforts today:
    Frozen fruit and last of blueberry compote thing on yogurt for breakfast
    Hot drink for commute
    Soak some chickpeas, Iíll make hummus tomorrow
    HM broccoli and Stilton soup for lunch
    DH has broccoli and cauli bake for lunch
    Packed lunch for small
    Check banking, surveys and update sheet
    Load of washing on to keep on top of it
    Leaving work early to pick smalls up so no after school fees

And for those of you that grab the odd thing for the food bank, consider a pack of sanitary towels too, they are much needed by those in poverty. We gave extra to the food bank this year rather than Christmas cards to those folk we see all the time.

Enjoy your day peeps.
    • 1SmallStep
    • By 1SmallStep 11th Jan 18, 8:24 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 413 Thanks
    1SmallStep
    Morning all! Busy day here at SS household. Away for work tonight but made sure to book all relevant travel so I should just end up with meals x 3 to claim for. New regime means making sure I claim those this weekend rather than subsidise the organisation for longer!
    Manicure myself rather than rely on gel mani. Giving nails a rest and money-saving!
    Making beds and rooms ready for paying guests who arrive back just as I do. Some messages and info to sort out for them.
    One load of washing to get on and do as soon as current guest is out of the shower.
    B / L - stuff to eat up from the fridge
    Hair - planning to wash this at hotel tonight and just put up today!
    Need to find posh make up am confused as to where I might have left it!
    Several reports that stress me out to try to complete whilst WFH today. Will be so good when they are done! Just made a note to break it down - It's 4 seperate ones and two tricky conversations.
    Pack carefully for work trip so don't end up buying yet more toothpaste etc whilst away!
    Keep eye out for binmen to see if they take recycling overflow with them, fingers crossed, it's been mounting up for a month as I missed the pre Xmas one! Will feel hugely satisfied when it goes!
    Prepare for work CPD discussion with my boss in margins of event.
    Text DD with small earning opportunity for her if she'll help me with some guest related chores!
    Better get a wriggle on as I only have until 2pm to get much of that done!
    • Bigskies
    • By Bigskies 11th Jan 18, 8:53 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    Bigskies
    This week I’ve taken my head out of the sand, cut up the remaining credit card with credit left, and restarted my diary.
    Jan 2018 £68k
    Percentage of total debt paid 0%
    2018 target £10k So far: £0
    Monthly target £833 January £0
    POAYDBX18 #124 0/10,000
    • uphillstruggler
    • By uphillstruggler 11th Jan 18, 9:59 AM
    • 136 Posts
    • 751 Thanks
    uphillstruggler
    Hi everyone,

VTS what wonderful news.
    1LL and CCL thinking of you.

I'm feeling a bit under the weather today so plan to get some exercise and some healthy food in the tank and hopefully stave whatever it is off.

We're moving flats in a week's time so starting to get some boxes packed up. Trying to use up as much as we can from the kitchen cupboards so could be some inventive dishes coming up this week!

Today I have/will:
    *pack for the move
    *sell old phone
    *sell home office furniture
    *free hot drink in town
    *few work admin tasks
    *book car in for service
    *check accounts

Hope you all have a great day,
    US
    Emergencies account: £400/500
    Groceries Jan 2018: EUR30.00/200 NSD Jan 2018: 1/10
    [/COLOR]
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 11th Jan 18, 10:27 AM
    • 125 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    fatrab
    So, I tried the downshifting challenge yesterday.

Total was £5.20 under budget so I'm pleased with that! Noticed a difference of around 30-50p per item but there were some things I just couldn't downgrade on like cold meat. I don't want this to sound in any way elitist but there comes a point where value and quality meet each other on the scale and I don't want to eat over processed junk.

Aiming for 5p breakfasts for the rest of the month. 1kg porridge was £1 so 5p per portion assuming 50g roughly. Making it once I get to work so free milk and electricity

And a "free" jar of peanut butter that's been in the cupboard since god-knows when, so a 50p loaf = about 5p per 2 slice serving
    Wannabe debt free by 31/12/2022 - Wannalose 3st in the process - 6lbs off so far
    8 x £2 coins (#32) - 6/12 NSD in January
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 11th Jan 18, 12:23 PM
    • 415 Posts
    • 3,325 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Afternoon everyone

Welcome to all the newbies, great to see new faces joining in the thread. I love it, it keeps me on the straight and narrow!

Haven't really posted much - had the usual things like cat cleaning, lots of paperwork, trying to sort the house out more. Finding there are not enough hours in the day at the minute.

Also getting DD ready for her departure back to uni. Have built up a good snack bag for her to take back consisting of alot of reduced Christmas bits, which has saved me a fortune.
    I was lucky to be about when Tesc@ had reduced their tins of quality street to £1.25. Bought 6 tins, 3 are for DD boyfriend along with other reduced bits to make up a snack bag for him, especially has he has just bought DD 3 dresses for sports awards she needs to attend as she has been shortlisted DD's BF only went and spent £150.....I nearly passed out so a very full snack bag that has come in under a tenner is the least I can do, especially when he always sees DD when she comes from home carting her snack bags with her. She is in catered accommodation but has an extremely high metabolic rate. Needs to eat 3000 calories a day so not to lose weight and with sport on top they've upped her calories......me, I'm completely the opposite

many thanks Vickthestick for the parking ticket info. All done and sent so just a wait and see now.Really pleased to hear the news about your OH and DawnW I hope ur OH is alot happier now knowing that things can be done.

You were asking about bullet journelling. I bullet journal all my Christmas presents and birthday, what I've spent, what I've saved. Ideas for presents. Just summary sentences like 1LL does with her hearts. Also put anything else that is personal to me, need to put in a list of things I want to achieve this year. Because it is personal to me I feel more in control doing it.
    I have decided to start saving for 'operation living room'. This is going to cost quite abit but will also journal and log about this and what I need.
    Well best get cracking on doing some more 'putting away' and sorting out of bits.

have a great day everyone x
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=253.02
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 11th Jan 18, 2:05 PM
    • 4,737 Posts
    • 36,538 Thanks
    DawnW
    Afternoon all
    Been wrestling with an online passport renewal application. Goodness knows if it was / will be successful or not, it didn't like my photo, for a completely stupid non-reason Anyway, time will tell! Well, I have had an email to say they have received the application, anyway

Other things:
    Berries from freezer for breakfast instead of bought fresh fruit
    Walked into town to post an ebay parcel and some RM surveys items, noticed frozen veg are on offer in Iceland, £1 each for bags of peas, green beans and sweetcorn. Bought one of each, using shopping vouchers from RM surveys Also bought bread and potatoes which I had to pay actual money for - they were also £1 each.
    Got passport photos done at booth in post office
    HM soup for lunch, OH finished off the butternut squash, I had lettuce, pea and potato
    Coleslaw to make for dinner tonight OH decided he would rather have something else, so I will need to do this another time. Finishing off the dulce de leche /apple crumble. O.M.G. Not slimming food , so I won't be buying it again, but it was gorgeous
    Dog will need a walk OH did both today, trying to build up his movement
    Post old passport off using free stamp from RM surveys Done
    Finish vacuuming sitting room and dining room Done
    Check banks Done, no surprises
    Check for surveys Not yet
    Update my spreadsheet with today's spends Still to do
    DD rang from a local farm shop, they had local English lamb packs reduced to half price, so a nice bag of roasting joints, chops and stewing meat for £15. Couldn't miss a bargain like that, so need to play freezer tetris again

Hope everyone is having a good day
    Last edited by DawnW; 11-01-2018 at 6:49 PM.
    NSDs for January 5 /18
    Decluttering 20 /31

• 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 11th Jan 18, 2:38 PM
    • 637 Posts
    • 6,051 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Good afternoon all,

Vickthestick - Re Bullet journal, I started using it just over year ago and find it brilliant. You know if you have a diary, you have either a box for the day or a page a day etc well some days I'd have very little to put and others I'd have lots so my BuJu is just an A4 squared ring bound pad, I have a page with diy job, a page with info like library card numbers for when I'm ordering books online, I have my freezer and use up box inventories, I have the kids pocket money charts, a list of meals we like, a list of recipes to try, the kids have a monthly jobs list they have to do to earn their pocket money, that's a chart a page each for the month for them. Also little reminders of things I want to do, like yesterday I had the date and did myself a little bullet point to do list, I check off what I've done and then anything that's left I'll write onto the next day and so on, I find that keeping writing the jobs down means I actually get them done as I don't want to have to write it again! Yesterdays list was huge, took up about 3/4 of page, but then rather then starting a new page for today as you would in a diary, I just used a ruler across the 3/4 part and today will only use that last quarter of a page as I had appointments out this morning so my list today is much smaller. I number each page at the bottom and have an index at the front, so each time then I start a new freezer inventory for example I write a note of the page number so I know exactly where to look, so I have sections if you see what i mean, my freezers list was on page 5, then 16, then 20, so you don't need to leave spaces in there to keep things together, it just flows better for me. Theres loads of different uses for them, you could check out pintrest or youtube for a better idea as I feel I'm waffling now and probably confusing you!!

http://bulletjournal.com/get-started/ I probably should have just posted this first!! hehe I don't do the monthly logs, or the calendar bit, I cherry picked ideas that would work for me.
    Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 11-01-2018 at 3:29 PM. Reason: To waffle a bit more!!
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 11th Jan 18, 2:53 PM
    • 637 Posts
    • 6,051 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Hello all,
    Its a lovely sunny afternoon here which is really helping my mood!

So todays list from me
    Ds2 had free breakfast at school
    Gym session done and refilled water bottle there twice
    Home for a quick breakfast of leftover ys English muffins and hard boiled egg
    Out to the hairdressers, its the 2nd time I've been to this new place and its at least £10 cheaper and a lovely little place. The place I used to go to was a drop in, no appointments needed place, this one, I was able to book in for exactly the time I wanted, I was able to park outside the door, was offered 3 cups of tea/coffee and came out feeling totally pampered
    Came home to an email from the new bank saying although they'd switched my account, I'd not matched the £100 recommend a friend bonus for me and my dad So I rang them (on their Freephone number the lad I spoke too just repeated that I'd not met the criteria, I argued my case, he said he'd come back to me, which he did but he still wouldn't budge so I gave up. Had a quick coffee and decided the ring back the complaints department, spoke to them, they said I'd not met the criteria but could understand my understanding of it and they came back to me to say they'd close off the complaint and pay us both the £100 as a good will gesture So glad I didn't let them fob me off!!! Should get the payment in 3-5 days
    Last nights leftover gammon is in the slowcooker with splitpeas, stock & pearl barley for a peas & bacon thing my dh & kids love for tea tonight

Still need to
    Check banking/update spreadsheets
    Prep some carrots & cucumber for the kids to have as an after school snack with the last of the humous from the fridge
    Make families lunches for tomorrow - really easy as the kids have sandwiches made up ready in the freezer and dh has just messaged to tell me he's working from home!! That's great as I was going to have to pop to the school after the school run to get more bread rolls for him as I'd run out, whereas now he can have toasted sandwich using bread that's a bit dried out tomorrow for lunch instead

Better go, have a lovely day all and stay safe, there were lots of accidents round here this morning after such a heavy frost.

Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 11-01-2018 at 3:20 PM.
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 11th Jan 18, 5:02 PM
    • 5,066 Posts
    • 20,277 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Fab trap, consider the reductions on the deli counter for your cold meats, if you go late afternoon things will often be reduced by 50%. The dates on the original packaging of the joints are usually quite a lot longer than the sm are allowed to sell them for and, if you're worried, they're all free able anyway.

1LuckyLady, we had a freebie pepper sauce on sausage and mash the other night, steak doesn't feature on the menu here either!

I have been in bed all day with a migraine arrack, I had to call in sick to work. I know what brought it on, I had run out of AD's and had to go cold turkey while I was waiting 48 hours for my prescription.
    Make £20 a day in January £252.06/£620 (December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 11th Jan 18, 7:47 PM
    • 3,777 Posts
    • 18,813 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Evening all,
    Well, I haven't so much as set foot outdoors today as have been so busy at my desk. So I haven't spent any money whatsoever, but I'm not sure I've done anything actually money saving either. Oh hang on, I've done 2 things - next week's meal plans (though they're in my head & not on paper yet) & I've asked mr f if he'll get our Ziffit payments transferred from Paypal to our bank account.
    I am now going to finish knitting my sleeve.
    Love F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £280-20
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304
    • Lottebear
    • By Lottebear 11th Jan 18, 8:13 PM
    • 768 Posts
    • 3,442 Thanks
    Lottebear
    Hello All

Today I have

- Got a price match on insurance renewal, same provider and saves the hassle of moving, saved £40 in the auto renewal price, so worth the call.
    - Sorted out my broadband too, reduced from £9.99 per month to £3.99 saving £72 per year again worth the call.

Other than that food from home taken to work.
    Dryer on off peak times
    • vickthestick
    • By vickthestick 11th Jan 18, 11:14 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 1,464 Thanks
    vickthestick
    Evening all,
    Thanks for the really helpful bullet journal ideas and links. I'll check out pinterest for more ideas when I have a minute.
    Lunch today was the bottom of the cream cheese from the fridge with some free crackers which were leftover at work from a Christmas buffet lunch. Yum.
    DD2 sold a children's monkey bag on e3ay for me and she's going to post it tomorrow. I'm paying her 10% of the profit to do all the work
    Now just need to convince DH that buying Innocent smoothies individually boxed is not a money saving buy, even if they are half price
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

239Posts Today

1,611Users online

Martin's Twitter