Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 8th Jan 18, 7:32 AM
    • 6,673Posts
    • 38,662Thanks
    determined new ms
    What small moneysaving things will you be doing this week? W/C 08/01/18
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:32 AM
    What small moneysaving things will you be doing this week? W/C 08/01/18 8th Jan 18 at 7:32 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 £3016.55/Roadkill £8.73
    Wombling 2018 £145.73/RK £0.04
Page 2
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 8th Jan 18, 7:28 PM
    • 1,978 Posts
    • 13,313 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    If you subscribe to a thread, where can you view the threads you have subscribed to?
    Is there a magic button I have forgotten about?
    Originally posted by vickthestick
    At the top of any of the pages is a drop down with all the forum names on and subscribed threads link is there, near the top of the list.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 8th Jan 18, 7:34 PM
    • 1,978 Posts
    • 13,313 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning all

Thanks for starting us off determined back to school here for us too. Today’s meeting in another town cancelled so I will wfh instead will hopefully allow me to do some jobs. These will include:

Blood test at doctors
    Pop to local bargain shop and get a few bits for dd party at the weekend
    Meals from stores, Thai yellow curry for tea
    Make a batch of cauliflower and brocolli bake for lunches this week
    Make some chicken soup, use chicken stock from freezer and a small portion of chicken from freezer or skim some off curry
    Do some last of washing and put away. No ironing
    Call tax office.
    Originally posted by PurpleFairy26
    Feel quite chuffed with today’s efforts. Got party take home things in lieu of a party bag full of tat for £1 each
    Soup was yummy and managed to skim off tonight’s chicken for it.
    Means chicken earmarked for it will go in fried rice tomorrow instead
    Cooked extra rice tonight for tomorrow tea
    Called tax office and submitted my return
    Made a ‘compote’ from some ys blueberries on the turn
    Made a quick sponge pudding in microwave using hm jam that’s a bit too thick. Another jar liberated.
    Went to party venue and avoided both yummy coffee and cake, came home with halo in tact
    • mumofthetwins
    • By mumofthetwins 8th Jan 18, 7:53 PM
    • 891 Posts
    • 3,872 Thanks
    mumofthetwins
    Hi guys .. I'm back on the DFW trail after slipping last year (still took a good chunk of the debt though ��) ... I love this board as it does really help to have like minded people around ����
    So today is the day ... I started by taking a few thing back that I had bought but would never use and I have started counting my change jar .. well jar one of many lol ... just counted up £5 which I will pay in tomorrow, I figure if I can pay in £5 each time I'm in town then that's all extra payments on the cc.
    I have started a spending diary and joined the PAD & NSD challenges as these really kept me going last time. Tonight I will put the change in my bag ready for tomorrow, will make lunch for work and pack some milk meaning I won't need to buy tea at work ��
    Tomorrow is a new day and hopefully a NSD at that lol

Lisa x
    This time I'm sticking with it !!
    Jan £3.40/£300 2/10 NSD
    PAD
    Jan £374
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 8th Jan 18, 8:22 PM
    • 2,207 Posts
    • 10,620 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    1LL & CCL sorry for your losses.

Today has been cold out, as OH was wfh we lit the stove to keep us warm, lovely and toastie in the living room. The kitchen, on the other hand, was a chilling 13c

Today's small things were:
    Putting hair up to delay washing it for a day
    Lit stove
    Put kettles on top for free HW
    Set dw to run overnight
    Set wm to run overnight
    B/L/D from stores
    RMS
    Returned something by post for a refund
    Decluttered a kitchen shelf
    Applied for free book
    Check bank accounts
    NSD
    Made a batch of porridge
    Made HM bread

1smallstepWe too have been exhausted, I'm not sure if it's a virus or that we over did it in December? Yesterday when OH & DD got up to go to martial arts I turned over and slept for another 2 hours, instead of getting up an hour before they go

Apr '17 GC £280/117.17(overspend March) +
    Jan - Mar '17 GC £910/1027.17
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 8th Jan 18, 9:31 PM
    • 640 Posts
    • 6,087 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Thanks all. Sorry for your loss to CCL, We lost my grandmother just over 3 weeks ago but because of Christmas the funeral was today. I think I held it together to get through Christmas for the kids but its really hit me this last few days. Tomorrow family life gets back to normal, work/school wise so I need to regain focus, I just need a good nights sleep to help me get going in the morning. I've not slept well and that always makes me struggle with low mood so I'm going to charge my phone now and stick on a relaxation podcast to hopefully help me settle off to sleep.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • vickthestick
    • By vickthestick 8th Jan 18, 10:51 PM
    • 196 Posts
    • 1,493 Thanks
    vickthestick
    At the top of any of the pages is a drop down with all the forum names on and subscribed threads link is there, near the top of the list.
    Originally posted by PurpleFairy26
    Found it!
    Thank you PurpleFairy
    Womble #9 2018 £0 / Roadkill £0
    Loan £175.40 /month until October 2018 Loan £312.21 /month until April 2025
    • 1SmallStep
    • By 1SmallStep 8th Jan 18, 11:46 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 454 Thanks
    1SmallStep
    Got a really tickley sneezy thing going on at the moment, maybe that's why I've been out of sorts! Still, meant I was awake to receive a bnb booking for a couple of nights later this week.. January is often very very quiet so I dropped prices a little to try to bring something in, on the days I'm here. Not sure right the reduced prices it's really worth the faff (and the heating) on nights I'm not! Every little helps during this UFM though! Luckily enough of everything bar milk in I think.
    • vickthestick
    • By vickthestick 9th Jan 18, 7:46 AM
    • 196 Posts
    • 1,493 Thanks
    vickthestick
    Morning all,
    The heating is back on - downstairs anyway - but I have had to put a fan heater into the girls' bedroom to take the chill off, which is so not MSE. Hopefully the engineer arrives today.
    Today:
    - Add the docs to the internet re-mortgage application for OH as he is not tech friendly
    - Packed lunch for work
    - School snacks from stores - No 1 Son decided to swap his crisps with a pal for a different kind of crisps yesterday. Who knew A1di crisps would be in such demand!
    - Read some DFW diaries for more inspiration

Have a good day everyone x
    Womble #9 2018 £0 / Roadkill £0
    Loan £175.40 /month until October 2018 Loan £312.21 /month until April 2025
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 9th Jan 18, 8:39 AM
    • 1,351 Posts
    • 10,126 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Morning folks

Big hugs to everyone that needs them

Feeling a bit meh today which is unlike me. Really tired still from the flu and just a bit fed up of it. Still I probably just need a dose of MTFU

Didn't do much last night although did look through the slimming world mag and there's quite a nice week long meal plan that I'm going to do for next week. I'll make some of it a bit more substantial and add some snacks but it looks tasty.

Today's mission:
    • B/L/D from stores - done
    • Force OH to go to the doctors. He's asthmatic and has been coughing and snuffling for a month now but he seems a bit tired and subdued... even for him so I'm wondering if he has a chest infection. - appointment at 4.30
    • Start online shop - done
    • Going to see Star Wars at the pictures tonight. Won't be buying snacks.
    • Check out new CAL pattern for January - done
    • 1-2-1 with coach - done
    • Charge phone in work - done
    • No alcohol - done
    • Nabbed another free mag from work
    Have a good one all

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 09-01-2018 at 6:01 PM.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £9433.44
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 9th Jan 18, 9:47 AM
    • 145 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    fatrab
    Morning,

Bit of a biggy to begin with today. Cancelled Gym memberships. I work away from home so had an off peak membership at a gym close to home and a full membership of one where I work.

£32.99 in total per month saved. I was going to the gym 3-4 times per week so it wasn't wasted money, just not an essential spend. Dog has since been on more walks and is somewhat confused by amount of exercise as he's a big couch potato.

So I suppose walking dog instead of walking on treadmill is a good saving?

Working on a 3 day shopping plan at the moment to avoid waste. All current fresh food will be consumed by tomorrow lunchtime. Went through cupboards last night and made shopping list to use existing bits n bobs, rice, pasta, passata etc., and found an unopened jar of peanut butter which expires Jan 18 so that'll be a few cheap breakfasts spread on brown bread toast.

Big bag of porridge on shopping list too, so can alternate breakfasts for around 5p per day! I used to go to a cafe and think nothing of spending £5+ every morning for breakfast.

No wonder I got myself into a pickle.

It's a cold one up here today folks (Inverness), stay safe
    Wannabe debt free by 31/12/2022 - Wannalose 3st in the process - 8lbs lost so far
    10 x £2 coins (#32) - 8/12 NSD in January
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 9th Jan 18, 10:08 AM
    • 1,351 Posts
    • 10,126 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    So I suppose walking dog instead of walking on treadmill is a good saving?
    Originally posted by fatrab

Good for fresh air and sunlight for vitamin D!

I can recommend Fitness Blender (search on youTube) for workouts that you can do at home with no equipment

• FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 9th Jan 18, 10:35 AM
    • 5,069 Posts
    • 20,311 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Morning all

Today is going to be a stay close to home day, but first I need to:

Go to the GP to fill in a repeat prescription form, I registered there before my new job and coincidentally nominated work as my pharmacy to pick up from which is going to be super convenient!

Go to library to print out Amazon label (mum's mouse not working) to give me time to wait for cheaper toner to come and also to save me a drive to the shops to buy some.

Small supermarket shop while I'm out.

After this the rest of my day I don't plan to leave the house and am going to sit and do my accounts as the receipts are starting to pile up. I need to submit my tax return to HMRC by the end of January and, though all this stuff won't be on this years, it's just brain clutter and once that's clear I can focus on my freelance accounts.

I need to retrieve a receipt to return some stuff to work tomorrow.

Lots of washing to be done but on top of the dishwashing.

Do another 20% water change on the fish tank.
    Make £20 a day in January £252.06/£620 (December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 9th Jan 18, 12:35 PM
    • 3,416 Posts
    • 29,257 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hi all
    2 days in a row eh? Well, new me and all that. Not that I have much to report - I'm even more skint this month than I thought I was, but never mind. Forced frugality is making me have a serious rethink about my current attitude.
    Thank you all for the kind welcome back (not sure I deserve it, but I'm staying). 1LL - so sorry to read about your grandmother. There's never a good time, but Christmas always seems worse to lose a loved one. When I go to this funeral it will be almost 4 weeks since he died, which seems a ridiculously long time to have to wait.
    Naughty tortie is the most expensive cat ever HK. She's the only one of the 7 that I can't get reasonably priced insurance for and the only one of them that always needs really expensive stuff done. As you say though, they are part of the family, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm just pleased that she's still here.
    So, even though we're half way through today - here are my plans.
    Brought my coffee in from home so I didn't spend at MaccyD on my way in
    Teeny tiny PAD to my savings
    Get kids to do some jobs about the house
    Ask teaching friends for help with lesson planning so I don't spend a fortune looking for good biology stuff on TES
    Continue my new sleep plan and start winding down by half past nine.
    Plan all meals
    Use up stuff in the cupboards
    That will do - it's just small steps for the moment. Hope everyone is ok.
    DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 9th Jan 18, 1:19 PM
    • 640 Posts
    • 6,087 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Afternoon all

I'm trying to keep myself busy and away from the fridge - comfort eating has got to stop!! as I gave all my larger clothes away to my sister and don't want to be asking her for them back! I'm nearly a stone up from where I'd got down to in October before life started getting in the way!
    So todays plans... (going to start adding back in my as they do cheer me up!

Cleaned out fridge and have got the starting of a meal plan - there are two aero mousses and two yogurts left so I've written the meal plan out with a column for dessert for the kids, so will show them tonight and then A) I won't eat them because they know its for them and B) They won't nag "whats for tea?!" Another thing in the fridge that needed using up was some cooked cauliflower from the weekend, I've chopped that and added it the the curry sauce I've made for tonights meal, just need the musc1efood delivery I've got coming to arrive so that I can add the chicken to the meal now!
    Boiled some eggs as the kids love a hard boiled egg and its a good thing for them to snack on after school, also chopped some carrots into sticks to go with the end of a pot of hummus.
    Made families lunches for tomorrow
    Run the washing machine twice on the quick 30 degree wash
    General tidy round, first time I've had the house to myself since 18th December so lots of little bits done and put away
    Straightened up main food cupboard, I try to keep it tidy so that I know what we have in to avoid that feeling of lots of ingredients but no meals thing. Added a couple of items to the shopping list to make a meal out of what we have

Still to do
    Check banking/update spreadsheets
    Radiator shuffle washing as its another wet grey day
    Sort out meat delivery once delivered, into the freezer and update freezer inventory. The chicken breasts come in big packs of around 12 large breasts that I will then split into freezer bags of 2 in each.
    Book an online shop for the weekend now so that I get the delivery slot I want.

That's about it for me, have a good day all.
    Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 09-01-2018 at 2:43 PM.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 9th Jan 18, 1:33 PM
    • 5,069 Posts
    • 20,311 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Mr T currently have the Felix GOod as it looks boxes (40 pouches) for £10.

Buy! Buy! Buy!
    Make £20 a day in January £252.06/£620 (December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 9th Jan 18, 1:37 PM
    • 5,069 Posts
    • 20,311 Thanks
    FatVonD
    I had a pack of full price lamb mince in my trolley as I'm planning Shepherds Pie for tonight's dinner when I decided to take one last look at the reduced section *just* as they were wheeling four packs to be reduced! I only bought two but it saved me £1.32 per pack and now I can batch cook and use the whole bag of carrots!
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 9th Jan 18, 1:51 PM
    • 3,416 Posts
    • 29,257 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Mr T currently have the Felix GOod as it looks boxes (40 pouches) for £10.

Buy! Buy! Buy!
    Originally posted by FatVonD

This is all my fussy little so and so's will eat so guess where I'll be going this week. Thank you FVD
    DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • Bagpuss741
    • By Bagpuss741 9th Jan 18, 2:29 PM
    • 1,861 Posts
    • 8,747 Thanks
    Bagpuss741
    Today I have/will:

1. Checked online banking
    2. NSD
    3. At home physio exercises
    4. Meals from stores
    5. Surveys & Bzzagent
    Post Office £0Capital One £0Tesco £1400As of 09/01/18
    One debt to go
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 9th Jan 18, 3:12 PM
    • 4,746 Posts
    • 36,645 Thanks
    DawnW
    Afternoon all
    Packed OH off to a private osteopath/ physio practice this morning, so am £55 lighter, but he has had his issue explained to him in detail, has a treatment plan and is feeling a lot more positive He is due to go back on Friday, then twice next week, at £40 a time but if it helps him, it is worth it, and I can cut down elsewhere to cover it. I know we are lucky to be able to do this

Anyway, today I have / will:
    Dog walk (OH is threatening to do the second one, but we will see if that happens!)
    Made butternut squash soup for lunch (BNS were on offer at Lidls last week for 69p ). And there is plenty left for tomorrow
    Will make sweet and sour pork for dinner, using up YS pork steaks from the freezer - there will be enough for 2 days dinners
    Wood stove alight later - kettle to boil on top for 'free tea'
    Small shop at Mr S
    Bought £5 odd of items to donate to the local food bank - I chose teabags, biscuits, cereal bars, oat so simple and a can of main course soup this time Got quite a lot for just over £5, chose basics range items, own brands and branded items that were on offer. People say Sains is expensive, but I thought that was pretty good Apart from the teabags, these aren't things I would buy for myself, but the FB suggest dried / tinned goods with an emphasis on things that can be eaten without cooking or with minimal heating / cooking, as food poverty usually goes hand in hand with fuel poverty ....... in a First World country in the 21st century (sorry for soapbox but it really makes me cross the way people are treated )
    Updated spreadsheet
    Ought to do some cleaning
    Also ought to list some items on ebay, but it is too dark to take decent photos today
    Might make some more blue cheese and walnut scones as I have a bit of stilton left, and bought some walnuts to go with it
    NSDs for January 5 /18
    Decluttering 24 /31

• carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 9th Jan 18, 3:27 PM
    • 1,351 Posts
    • 10,126 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    , as food poverty usually goes hand in hand with fuel poverty ....... in a First World country in the 21st century (sorry for soapbox but it really makes me cross the way people are treated )
    Originally posted by DawnW

My mum got me quite aerated over the weekend on the subject of foodbanks (sample P.O.V. "the majority of people who visit food banks are on the scrounge")

I had to point out to her that:
    a: just because it's her opinion, that doesn't make it fact
    b: it's not a very Christian viewpoint from someone who goes to church so much
    c: I personally would have visited a food bank when I was struggling if they had existed
    d: if she really believes that, the best thing to do would be to go and volunteer and see for herself

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,229Posts Today

9,103Users online

Martin's Twitter