Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 8th Jan 18, 6:22 AM
    • 2,934Posts
    • 39,975Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Monday 8th January 2018
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:22 AM
    O/S Daily Monday 8th January 2018 8th Jan 18 at 6:22 AM
    O/S Daily Monday 8th January 2018

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Still dark and cold, but not raining, still loads of laying water.

Yesterday lunch was roast beef with the trimmings, managed to cook it med/rare and enjoyed it, no meat left, but there is some yorkshires, and veg, will utilise them in a meal during the week. Whilst lunch was cooking I got the pack ups made, trying to get us back to some sort of normality.

We were very lazy yesterday, just visited the outlaws and then had a chilled day at home - we'll be visiting the hospital after work tonight. So dinners will be a bit disjointed. Not sure what we're having but I'll find something.

Mum still making some steady progress, although she gets very tired very quickly, but she is having to do more, walking with assistance, therapy has started etc, so moving forward albeit slowly, as I said to dad yesterday, "as long as we're moving forward and not going backwards or stopping" it's all positive. We're a world away from where we were this time last week.

Back to work today for me, hoping for a busy day - makes the day fly by.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 08-01-2018 at 6:33 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 2
    • elona
    • By elona 8th Jan 18, 11:25 AM
    • 11,390 Posts
    • 61,663 Thanks
    elona
    Cranky

I hope when you see the nurse on Friday she can suggest something that will help. This is not intended as advice but in the summer I got athlete's foot by wearing open sandals and walking near wild plants. I tried every branded spray, cream etc that I could find and nothing got rid of it completely. Eventually I bought a colloidal silver spray from a***on and it helped a lot and was better than anything else I tried.

Washing machine has been on but will wait till tonight to tumble dry or put things on an airer. I still have a couple of portions of the cottage pie I made yesterday and might freeze one of them so I am not always eating the same thing.

Getting the bus later to go to York for U3A to watch a vintage film
    and looking forward to it. DDs took me out for a walk and got me up to 5000 steps for the day and when I weighed myself this morning I had lost five pounds Not "dieting" as such but eating more fruit and veg and limiting things like bread and junk food.

Special hug to AOL, csarina and judi and hugs to all.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 8th Jan 18, 11:50 AM
    • 259 Posts
    • 3,341 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Good morning all

Lainey thinking of you

AOD and Judi ouch

nmlc hope your mum continues to improve.

hugs to all those who want or need them

Not doing much today, cold out, so a big batch of soup cooking for lunch.

No shopping needed, eating out of cupboards and freezer, spent the grand total of 92p last week.

Hope you all have a good day
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • dp1
    • By dp1 8th Jan 18, 2:42 PM
    • 227 Posts
    • 1,634 Thanks
    dp1
    Re convalescent homes...when I saw the doctor last week I asked if she could send me to Spain for the winter next year. Her reply.... Only if I can send myself with you!
    The tablets she gave me last week for my cough do seem to be helping .... It's more just a normal cough now!
    • Judi
    • By Judi 8th Jan 18, 3:12 PM
    • 15,612 Posts
    • 65,338 Thanks
    Judi
    Unfortunately im pretty housebound today as ive got Diva all day and no pushchair.

Im a bit handicapped with one finger out of action but I cant do much with Diva here and I'll be too knackered to do any housework later. Its still sore though but ill see how it is tomorrow.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • karcher
    • By karcher 8th Jan 18, 3:25 PM
    • 1,725 Posts
    • 15,136 Thanks
    karcher
    Righty ho enough procrastinating, I'm off into the "Cupboard of Doom". Cover me I'm going in !
    Originally posted by nannywindow

Oh nannywindow that did make me

Thank you for brightening my day
    • Gers
    • By Gers 8th Jan 18, 4:41 PM
    • 6,026 Posts
    • 36,411 Thanks
    Gers
    New mattress arrived really promptly, I had to guide the JL men to my place on the phone but they were really cheerful. The day has been clear, dry and very cold, the view across from house to the snow-capped hills of Jura quite beautiful.

One of the delivery blokes said I had chosen a really good mattress so I’m looking forward to bed tonight. It’s the same make as used in a premier hotel chain which I’ve always found extremely comfortable.

I didn’t leave the house just fielded the outpouring of work related emails from in front of my woodburner. Food was foraged from the fridge and I finished the baked chicken, found I’d added too much salt but still tasty.

Sorry to hear about cuts, bruises, colds, coughs, flu etc. I hope that the get well dust I’m blowing out reaches you all.
    • dp1
    • By dp1 8th Jan 18, 6:21 PM
    • 227 Posts
    • 1,634 Thanks
    dp1
    Hi everyone
    On the train home from my trip to London. I'm having a first clas treat as it didn't cost much more than standard...so I've had chicken in red wine and lovely little potatoes followed by cheese and biscuits and a cup of tea. Also two orange juices and a baby bottle of vodka... Well they offered me it!
    The Harry Potter exhibition at the British Library was a excellent and I was really pleased I'd managed to get a ticket. I also had an hour at the British Museum visiting the Egyptian mummies. It's been a really nice day.
    Back to work in the morning so back to the usual routine...I'm expecting a busy week as my boss is off sick and I'm second in command! Never mind, only 5 weeks till the next school holidays....not that I'm counting!
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 8th Jan 18, 7:16 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 2,046 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Sorry to hear about cuts, bruises, colds, coughs, flu etc. I hope that the get well dust I’m blowing out reaches you all.
    Originally posted by Gers
    Gers “get well dust” indeed - love it! Thanks for making me smile!

Mrs SD
    Last edited by Mrs Salad Dodger; 08-01-2018 at 7:18 PM. Reason: Autocorrect nonsense
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 8th Jan 18, 7:25 PM
    • 12,285 Posts
    • 37,174 Thanks
    Nelski
    Hi everyone
    On the train home from my trip to London. I'm having a first clas treat as it didn't cost much more than standard...so I've had chicken in red wine and lovely little potatoes followed by cheese and biscuits and a cup of tea. Also two orange juices and a baby bottle of vodka... Well they offered me it!
    The Harry Potter exhibition at the British Library was a excellent and I was really pleased I'd managed to get a ticket. I also had an hour at the British Museum visiting the Egyptian mummies. It's been a really nice day.
    Back to work in the morning so back to the usual routine...I'm expecting a busy week as my boss is off sick and I'm second in command! Never mind, only 5 weeks till the next school holidays....not that I'm counting!
    Originally posted by dp1
    What a lovely day enjoy the rest of your journey and take the vodka when they offer
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 8th Jan 18, 9:45 PM
    • 1,350 Posts
    • 15,425 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Ooh, get well dust!

Just back from work and I'm so so cold, my feet have started to thaw a bit and have gone crampy. I had to get 3 buses to get back and although this is a big city, the evening service is not nearly as good as a daytime, obviously.

Too tired to eat. Bruises are ok, a lot less bad than they could have been but poor judi that sounds a lot worserer.

Work was horrid.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • karcher
    • By karcher 8th Jan 18, 9:54 PM
    • 1,725 Posts
    • 15,136 Thanks
    karcher
    i.
    Ooh, get well dust!

Just back from work and I'm so so cold, my feet have started to thaw a bit and have gone crampy. I had to get 3 buses to get back and although this is a big city, the evening service is not nearly as good as a daytime, obviously.

Too tired to eat. Bruises are ok, a lot less bad than they could have been but poor judi that sounds a lot worserer.

Work was horrid.
    Originally posted by ancientofdays
    AOD I'm sorry..I really don't understand why you are putting yourself through so much? Your OH doesn't want you to retire but why?

You are important too.

Look after yourself please xx
    • Judi
    • By Judi 8th Jan 18, 10:04 PM
    • 15,612 Posts
    • 65,338 Thanks
    Judi
    poor judi that sounds a lot worserer.
    Originally posted by ancientofdays
    I'll live. Knocked it a few times whilst attending to Diva but changed the plaster this evening as i got it wet in the bath. It was a clean cut and is healing nicely.

Slept through Coronation Street although i'm not particularly a fan but was saddened to hear of Lukes demise. That bum wipe Phelan has a lot to answer for. I'll be glad when they lock him up and throw away the key and that poor Anna Windass is set free. I can stop watching it then.

Youngest has had a bad day at work, Grump has had a tiring day at work as he has to drive 4 hours before he does a full shift and ive still got Diva screeching in my ear. She goes to nursery tomorrow for the full day, i dread to think how she will get on and how they will cope with her. I'm expecting to be awake most of the night now, not only did i sleep earlier, i only had 3 drinks whilst Diva was here so am trying to make up for it now. It doesnt take long for me to dehydrate due to my medication but i shall imagine i'll be awake peeing all night too.

Sleep well all.

ps. The house looks like a bomb has gone off.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 8th Jan 18, 10:16 PM
    • 3,214 Posts
    • 29,397 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Very late today, in fact been running behind all day, having checked that there was nothing in the diary OH left me to sleep in until 09:30, which was good as I slept for almost 9 hours straight

Shopped for a couple of DIY bits, more birdfood, they are eating me out of house and home ATM while it is so cold, over £40 dpent in the last 10 days, but a really good deal on 13kgs of sunflower hearts, then on to SM for people food. I seem to spend a fortune on food, but have a full freezer so would like to run this down over the next month or so.

I hope that all those with bumps, bruises, wounds and horrid bugs are on the mend soon.
    Lainey - thinking of you and nmlc good news about your mum, fingers crossed for further slow and steady improvement.
    Sending good sleep vibes to those needing a good night, I don't know how you are able to carry on, I really can't function without sleep, just as well I decided not to have children I think
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

838Posts Today

6,624Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin