Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Results: please read original post. advice gratefully appreciated.

yes they should revert your accounts back to normal but manually pay the late one

0% • 0 votes

you'll get a late/missed marker

100.00% • 1 votes

you'll get a default/arrangement marker

0% • 0 votes

you'll get a dmp marker as you gave your stepchange reference number

0% • 0 votes

You may not vote on this poll

1 votes in total.

• jimlev
    • By jimlev 8th Jan 18, 2:01 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    friday asked lenders to freeze interest > now family can help can i go back to normal
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:01 AM
    friday asked lenders to freeze interest > now family can help can i go back to normal 8th Jan 18 at 2:01 AM
    hello. please can you offer some guidance?

on friday i contacted my cards and loans to ask for interest freeze while i talk to stepchange to deal with redundancy (low payment).

lenders were good and most froze interest or put accounts on hold and took my stepchange reference number, as stepchange recommended temporary payments, as long as i contact them to confirm next stage.

over the weekend family have helped so now can pay 6 months normal payments while i get a new job, so i can get the right one and not just the first one.

i'm a few days late with one payment but haven't missed any other payment dates.

will cards and loans undo the freeze and not report bad markers (defaults or arrangements or plans) to credit agencies?

if this is possible, what do i need to say when contacting them on monday morning, 3 days after asking for a freeze?
    Last edited by jimlev; 08-01-2018 at 2:09 AM.
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 8th Jan 18, 1:43 PM
    • 13,428 Posts
    • 12,838 Thanks
    • 8th Jan 18, 1:43 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 1:43 PM

When will family want repaying though ?

You have already triggered the interest freeze with your creditors, its best practice to now follow through with that, you may not get another job for a long time, keep any money you have, or family money that's offered, as an emergency fund.

To many times we see people throwing all they have at there debts, but leaving nothing to live on, you only need read some of the threads on here to understand that.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to Any views are mine and not the official line of

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see :
    • jimlev
    • By jimlev 9th Jan 18, 1:08 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    • 9th Jan 18, 1:08 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 1:08 AM

before redundancy my debt free date was 14 may. so i can pay them back at 0% for jan-may in the rest of the year with the money that i'm currently putting towards clearing debts.

they're happy to help me but it's on condition that it's used to avoid any bad markers on my files. i want to be able to buy a home in future and they said things like arrangements delay the process by 6 years.

i phoned some of the lenders today to ask if they could undo the holds on my accounts. most said yes, but one (wonga) said they could only do it and not report anything adverse to the credit reference agencies if i paid my balance in full today. so i felt i had to and did it. it saved about 500 in the long run (off the 6 month budget) but cost about 500 extra on this month's budget, so i'm not sure if that was the right thing to do.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,892Posts Today

4,697Users online

Martin's Twitter