Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • debtfreeforlife
    • By debtfreeforlife 7th Jan 18, 10:20 PM
    • 108Posts
    • 551Thanks
    debtfreeforlife
    Waste disposals
    • 7th Jan 18, 10:20 PM
    Waste disposals 7th Jan 18 at 10:20 PM
    Hi all, not sure if this is the right place to post this but thought I'd try. I am currently considering getting a waste disposal in my flat as 95% of my waste is food waste, which stinks up the kitchen bin if I don't empty it every few days, and wastes bin bags etc. The only food which goes in are peelings (minimal), stems for peppers, tea bags, etc. There aren't any other options for food waste disposal for me - my flat is too small for a worm farm or any kind of composting, and as I'm in a block of flats, a large food waste bin is impossible and impractical. I've spoken to my property manager about it and we agree that a communal food waste bin would be misused (it would be widely accessible to hundreds of people) and a significant health/pest threat. I've looked to see if there's anywhere nearby that I can send the food waste to, but there isn't.

I was wondering if anyone has any other solutions for reducing food waste that I haven't suggested, and also if anyone else has waste disposals and how they work for them? I am used to them as my parents have had one for years, but would like to know if anyone has recently installed one and the impact on energy and water bills.

Thanks! Mods, please feel free to move this if you think I've put it in the wrong place...

ETA - forgot to add - my dad who knows about these things is confident that a waste disposal is suitable in my flat, so no issues there.
    GC Jan 18: £171.41/£220 | 2018 MFW #130: £0/£5000
    New recipe challenge: 1/52
Page 1
    • pile-o-stone
    • By pile-o-stone 8th Jan 18, 9:00 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    pile-o-stone
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:00 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:00 AM
    We had a waste disposal unit in our previous home and it kept getting blocked with food waste. It was relatively easy for us to unblock as the waste pipe was accessible. As you are in a block of flats, access could be a problem. Also you could end up blocking your neighbours pipes too.

If you're on the ground floor and have a small terrace or garden, you could look at composting. We now have a Joraform compost tumbler. This is an insulated hexagonal barrel that's raised off the ground (so no access for vermin) that has two chambers. You fill one up, then start using the second chamber while the food waste in the first one composts down. By the time the second chamber is full, the first one is ready to empty. Because they are insulated they get ready hot when the bacteria breaks down the food. It's amazing on a frosty winters morning to open the composter and see a ton of steam come out. The composter is often much warmer inside than our house! Another great feature is that the tumbler is raised up so that we can put cooked food into it (you can even put meat into it if you eat sentient lifeforms). The tumbler is much easier to use to turn over the compost than using a spade in a traditional compost heap.

I have no connection with Joraform, just a very satisfied customer. Other insulated compost tumblers exist.
    • debtfreeforlife
    • By debtfreeforlife 8th Jan 18, 8:50 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    debtfreeforlife
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:50 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:50 PM
    Thanks pile-o-stone - I hadn't thought of that as my parents' disposal never gets blocked. Do you know what the make is of your old one, please?

Unfortunately I am on the first floor - nowhere to put a composted, and nothing to do with the compost afterwards.
    GC Jan 18: £171.41/£220 | 2018 MFW #130: £0/£5000
    New recipe challenge: 1/52
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 9th Jan 18, 7:47 AM
    • 6,304 Posts
    • 10,437 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:47 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:47 AM
    Unfortunately I am on the first floor - nowhere to put a composted, and nothing to do with the compost afterwards.
    Originally posted by debtfreeforlife
    Hiya. Does your local authority have any plans to collect waste food for anaerobic digestion?

We have a small food caddy in the kitchen for scraps, peelings, bones etc, and the council provide bio degradable bags for it. You then pop these bags in a larger tub, which is collected/emptied each week.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

312Posts Today

3,690Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin