Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 7th Jan 18, 9:08 PM
    • 2,825Posts
    • 460Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Direct Line car insurance - bad system
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:08 PM
    Direct Line car insurance - bad system 7th Jan 18 at 9:08 PM
    My wife's car insurance is up for renewal. I went with Direct Line back end of last year as they were way cheaper than anyone else & they're proving to be the same for my wife as well.

the only thing is - she's having to say that nobody else in the house has a direct line policy because when she selects that they do & fills in my details (they're not being filled in wrongly because i'm the one actually doing the quote & i'm looking at my own policy as i fill out her policy just to check) & then clicks next she gets an error message saying...
    The details you've entered in the discounts section don't match an existing direct line policy. Please check the details and re-enter.
    Well that's nonsense.

I know my title, my forename, surname, my DOB, my post code

yet it's 'wrong'.

Common issue with Direct Line or something?

Page 1
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 7th Jan 18, 10:41 PM
    • 2,602 Posts
    • 4,032 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 7th Jan 18, 10:41 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 10:41 PM
    Ring them - you'll get a discount for both having a policy with them.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 7th Jan 18, 11:10 PM
    • 2,825 Posts
    • 460 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:10 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:10 PM
    How would we go about multicar now?

My renewal is due late November 2018, my wife is mid January 2018.

On a side note, she's currently with Admiral and they've not even put her details in her online portal. She has a couple .pdfs but none of them are the one that has the main info on it. No .pdf showing her no claims. When i logged in to mine it was all there before i left them.

Will have to get DL called up anyway because they're listing her car incorrectly on their system. Her car was made on the crossover year where the 1.6 engine changed from a 105bhp unit to a 115bhp unit. Hers is incorrectly marked as a 115bhp when the V5C shows as a 105bhp one.

It's only a few quid difference (as my sister has a definite 105bhp version as it's a couple years older than my wifes - so i did a quote using her reg for comparison) but A) it may as well be correct on the system and B) better in our pocket than theirs, even if it's just £5.

Question is whether they can't move beyond computer saying no.

• Crabman
    • By Crabman 7th Jan 18, 11:51 PM
    • 9,624 Posts
    • 7,031 Thanks
    Crabman
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:51 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:51 PM
    I'm with DL and have only dealt with them to set up the policy and renew it (they are surprisingly competitive upon renewal unlike their home insurance arm and other insurers).

I have found them pleasant to deal with so would recommend giving them a call to discuss. Hopefully they'll apply the discount over the phone.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

• trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 8th Jan 18, 8:32 AM
    • 2,602 Posts
    • 4,032 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:32 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:32 AM
    It's not a multicar policy, it's a discount for having more than one car insured with them. Ring them.

Alternatively - and this is just a suggestion, as you seem to be struggling with Admiral too - let her sort out her own insurance.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 8th Jan 18, 10:58 AM
    • 2,825 Posts
    • 460 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    • 8th Jan 18, 10:58 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 10:58 AM
    let her sort out her own insurance.
    Originally posted by trailingspouse
    Ignoring the fact that she'll have to be the one who calls up because try as I might I don't think I'll pass for a female on the phone...

...for the purpose of what?

Just wondering where you're going with that as I'm now fluent in the MSE-way

• trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 8th Jan 18, 11:16 AM
    • 2,602 Posts
    • 4,032 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:16 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:16 AM
    Because you are stressing about this, and at the end of the day it's your wife's insurance - it would be better for her to arrange it. She'll still get the discount if she mentions that there is another car insured with them in the household.

You can call the insurers and arrange someone else's insurance - but once the policy is in force they will only talk to the policyholder, so there's really not a lot to be gained by it.
    • missile
    • By missile 8th Jan 18, 2:57 PM
    • 9,146 Posts
    • 4,476 Thanks
    missile
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:57 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:57 PM
    Even after Policy is arranged, DL accept another caller authorised by the Policy Holder. My wife always passes to me for payment and when there is an issue with her policy.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 8th Jan 18, 3:19 PM
    • 3,772 Posts
    • 3,835 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:19 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:19 PM
    Yes, but the first contact (in any communication) is always with the policyholder ... unless they accept a continuous power of attorney? (i.e. the first time another person is authorised then they continue to accept that person as authorised until such authority is revoked ... but this would be unusual to my understanding of the DPA).
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • jk0
    • By jk0 8th Jan 18, 4:06 PM
    • 2,145 Posts
    • 23,866 Thanks
    jk0
    I alternate between Aviva and Directline every year for my home & motor insurance. They are even more competitive then!
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 8th Jan 18, 4:31 PM
    • 2,373 Posts
    • 1,574 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    I've had the same error with the Directline website which no matter what details I gave it, kept coming back it couldn't find the other policy holder.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

140Posts Today

1,767Users online

Martin's Twitter