Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • owen.hewett
    • By owen.hewett 7th Jan 18, 8:59 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    owen.hewett
    Cash Withdrawals abroad
    • 7th Jan 18, 8:59 PM
    Cash Withdrawals abroad 7th Jan 18 at 8:59 PM
    I am going to Greece for 6 months in the summer to work, and need a cheap way of withdrawing cash. It won't be very much, around £400 a month.

I have the money so I don't necessarily need a credit card, but wondered whether I could "preload" one of those travel credit cards.

I am only 20 and have only had a credit card for 6 months or so, so i would guess my credit score is average, although I have paid the balance in full every month.

Thanks
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 7th Jan 18, 9:02 PM
    • 14,871 Posts
    • 15,698 Thanks
    zx81
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:02 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:02 PM
    You're unlikely to get a decent forex free card with a thin credit file, but you may be able to get one of the aqua cards which don't charge.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 7th Jan 18, 9:03 PM
    • 29,665 Posts
    • 17,623 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:03 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:03 PM
    I am going to Greece for 6 months in the summer to work, and need a cheap way of withdrawing cash. It won't be very much, around £400 a month.

I have the money so I don't necessarily need a credit card, but wondered whether I could "preload" one of those travel credit cards.

I am only 20 and have only had a credit card for 6 months or so, so i would guess my credit score is average, although I have paid the balance in full every month.

Thanks
    Originally posted by owen.hewett
    Both Halifax and Santander prohibit pre-loading in the T&Cs. I expect the others do too. Have you checked?

How about a bank account instead? Metro Bank for example.

Others will be along to tell you about other pre-paid card options.
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 7th Jan 18, 9:13 PM
    • 1,663 Posts
    • 1,904 Thanks
    Kim_13
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:13 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:13 PM
    You're unlikely to get a decent forex free card with a thin credit file, but you may be able to get one of the aqua cards which don't charge.
    Originally posted by zx81
    Aqua (Reward) doesn't charge for purchases, but it does for Atm withdrawals.

OP, you may find the MSE article on travel credit cards of interest, if you haven't seen it already: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards . It has a section with some debit cards also.
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2018 #9 ~ £0/£180.00
    CCCC 2018 #1 ~ £8.00/£180.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 8th Jan 18, 3:24 AM
    • 3,053 Posts
    • 1,389 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:24 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:24 AM
    No need to consider credit cards and 'preloading', your cost free solutions are Metro Bank (Southeast England branch application), Starling Bank (mobile only) and Loot prepaid account and MasterCard https://loot.io/

Don't rely on only one card, all three would be best for six months, there's also Revolut which has monthly £200 limit of fee-free ATM withdrawals.
    • J B
    • By J B 8th Jan 18, 9:59 AM
    • 2,472 Posts
    • 812 Thanks
    J B
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:59 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:59 AM
    I am going to Greece for 6 months in the summer to work.........
    Originally posted by owen.hewett
    Will the work be paid?
    If so, what will you do with the €€?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

135Posts Today

2,210Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin