Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• Planet Switzerland
    • By Planet Switzerland 7th Jan 18, 8:37 PM
    • 135Posts
    • 99Thanks
    Planet Switzerland
    Are circumstances surrounding a job more important than the job itself
    • 7th Jan 18, 8:37 PM
    Are circumstances surrounding a job more important than the job itself 7th Jan 18 at 8:37 PM
    It's that time of year where I'm getting numerous calls from recruitment agencies asking whether I'm looking to move jobs. I tell them all I'm open to moving if the right job opportunity comes along. They all ask me what I'd be looking for in my next role and I make up a load of nonsense when the honest answer is more money.

Money aside though, I've found I've never really cared too much about the job itself. Don't get me wrong I did give a lot of thought to the career path I've chosen, but in my mind the tasks I do in my role at one company aren't going to be too different to an equivalent role at another company. The so called new and exciting things I get to do are certainly not exciting, but are not that different to things I've done before either.

Before I began my career I gathered up thoughts about what I'd want out of my career, it basically amounted to spending as much time away from my desk as possible, things like travelling, spending time in meetings, conferences, presentations, training etc.

I've also established I like to work for big companies located centrally with lots of pubs nearby.

I was the same with university as well. My course was available at many university's and I figured the course content would be pretty much the same wherever I went. My primary concern was the city the university was in.

Anyone else find the same thing?
Page 1
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 7th Jan 18, 9:51 PM
    • 4,967 Posts
    • 7,993 Thanks
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:51 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:51 PM
    Money is one of the most important criteria for me. However as someone who relatively enjoys their job and likes their colleagues and boss it!!!8217;s easy for me to say.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 8th Jan 18, 10:49 AM
    • 8,179 Posts
    • 5,985 Thanks
    • 8th Jan 18, 10:49 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 10:49 AM
    I'm with Gavin, I've been off sick for ages following a serious accident and I'm climbing the walls with boredom. I can't wait to get back into a workplace. The work and my team-mates are also im[ortant to me.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

133Posts Today

1,293Users online

Martin's Twitter