Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 7th Jan 18, 8:27 PM
    • 24,530Posts
    • 51,904Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    What is this, and how do I get rid of it?
    • 7th Jan 18, 8:27 PM
    What is this, and how do I get rid of it? 7th Jan 18 at 8:27 PM
    Found this pic on the internet but is identical to something I saw growing behind a toilet today.

What is it? (Am guessing it’s related to damp but I may be wrong). How can it be exterminated and prevented from ever coming back?

ETA: said bathroom is fully tiled.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Page 1
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 7th Jan 18, 8:36 PM
    • 1,033 Posts
    • 709 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 7th Jan 18, 8:36 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 8:36 PM
    It's a mushroom / fungus.

Probably related to damp but could be dry rot. It can be easily removed but the underlying problem needs to be identified and dealt with.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 7th Jan 18, 8:43 PM
    • 24,530 Posts
    • 51,904 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 7th Jan 18, 8:43 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 8:43 PM
    When I googled dry rot, the search threw up peziza. Which is apparently not dry rot? Another disgusting graphics coming up:

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th Jan 18, 6:33 AM
    • 24,012 Posts
    • 90,264 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:33 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:33 AM
    My daughter had those on the skirtings in her bathroom when she was in student accommodation. The cause was damp, totally avoidable, but created by an inacessible upstairs overflow pipe dropping water against the shaded north side of the building.

Advice to the landlord was ignored.

Suggest you look first for a similar leak type of cause.
    Last edited by Davesnave; 08-01-2018 at 9:25 AM. Reason: Forgot the ending. Doh!
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 8th Jan 18, 8:25 AM
    • 13,469 Posts
    • 17,683 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:25 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:25 AM
    If it is behind a toilet, I would check the loo itself for leaks from the soil pipe or cistern and associated pipework.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • lauraland
    • By lauraland 8th Jan 18, 11:01 AM
    • 1,662 Posts
    • 18,929 Thanks
    lauraland
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:01 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:01 AM
    I had the same in my house when I first moved in. It was caused by damp from a slight leak in the cistern. Leak fixed and no toilet mushrooms since
    I got ham but i'm not a hamster.....
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 8th Jan 18, 11:07 AM
    • 24,072 Posts
    • 50,899 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:07 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:07 AM
    Sadly they aren't edible.
    • J B
    • By J B 8th Jan 18, 6:14 PM
    • 2,476 Posts
    • 816 Thanks
    J B
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:14 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:14 PM
    Originally posted by LandyAndy
    But ... could you smoke them?

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 8th Jan 18, 6:17 PM
    • 24,530 Posts
    • 51,904 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:17 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:17 PM
    Thanks all. I'm going back to have a look later this week, and take up some tiles at the same time as there seems to have been some movement here. Am dreading to think what lies beneath...

Originally posted by LandyAndy
    That is just gross. But then when I think of how mushrooms usually grow...

• Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th Jan 18, 7:42 PM
    • 24,012 Posts
    • 90,264 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Thanks all. I'm going back to have a look later this week, and take up some tiles at the same time as there seems to have been some movement here. Am dreading to think what lies beneath...
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse

Err, there generally are a few 'movements' in the life of the average toilet, but it may be nothing more than a faulty seal somewhere, causing a small drip each time it's flushed.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 18th Jan 18, 9:35 PM
    • 24,530 Posts
    • 51,904 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    it may be nothing more than a faulty seal somewhere, causing a small drip each time it's flushed.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    You were right, there was a leaky seal on the inlet pipe which was then turned off. The tiles had loosened further so were quite easy to lift, revealing shallow pools of water underneath where the resin had worn away, but there were no new mushrooms thank heavens. It’s drying out nicely and is ready to be levelled before the lino goes down.

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 22nd Jan 18, 5:50 PM
    • 24,530 Posts
    • 51,904 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Itís drying out nicely and is ready to be levelled before the lino goes down.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Looks like I may have to level it and then lay down lino myself. Where do I start?

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

570Posts Today

5,407Users online

Martin's Twitter