Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • James_N
    • By James_N 7th Jan 18, 7:28 PM
    • 992Posts
    • 903Thanks
    James_N
    Farmers' tractors / tractor + trailer combo
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:28 PM
    Farmers' tractors / tractor + trailer combo 7th Jan 18 at 7:28 PM
    Can anyone give general advice on the following questions. The scenario is several dozen tractor + trailer movements a day between two locations along a narrow country road.

1. Where a farmer has access to remote buildings across his own land, but chooses to exclusively use the narrow road instead.

2. Where (presumably) red diesel is being used

3. Where a farmer chooses to locate stock remotely from the main holding rather than near to his own dwelling and his own nearer buildings

4. Where the distance travelled is greater than 2 miles one way on each occasion.
    Under no circumstances may any part of my postings be used, quoted, repeated, transferred or published by any third party in ANY medium outside of this website without express written permission. Thank you.
Page 1
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 7th Jan 18, 7:33 PM
    • 10,191 Posts
    • 8,280 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:33 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:33 PM
    Can anyone give general advice on the following questions. The scenario is several dozen tractor + trailer movements a day between two locations along a narrow country road.

1. Where a farmer has access to remote buildings across his own land, but chooses to exclusively use the narrow road instead.

2. Where (presumably) red diesel is being used

3. Where a farmer chooses to locate stock remotely from the main holding rather than near to his own dwelling and his own nearer buildings

4. Where the distance travelled is greater than 2 miles one way on each occasion.
    Originally posted by James_N
    These are statements, not questions
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 7th Jan 18, 7:38 PM
    • 2,226 Posts
    • 2,828 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:38 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:38 PM
    I'm guessing the question is whether the farmer can use red diesel on the road in these situations. The answer is yes.
    • James_N
    • By James_N 7th Jan 18, 7:47 PM
    • 992 Posts
    • 903 Thanks
    James_N
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:47 PM
    thanks for your reply
    These are statements, not questions
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    Thanks - when I need grammar help, I will ask for it.
    Under no circumstances may any part of my postings be used, quoted, repeated, transferred or published by any third party in ANY medium outside of this website without express written permission. Thank you.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 7th Jan 18, 7:47 PM
    • 903 Posts
    • 667 Thanks
    AndyMc.....

1. Where a farmer has access to remote buildings across his own land, but chooses to exclusively use the narrow road instead. His choice how he accesses them.

2. Where (presumably) red diesel is being used Its for farming purposes.

3. Where a farmer chooses to locate stock remotely from the main holding rather than near to his own dwelling and his own nearer buildings Again itís his choice.

4. Where the distance travelled is greater than 2 miles one way on each occasion.He can travel as far as he needs to.

You have no grievance with the farmer.
    • James_N
    • By James_N 7th Jan 18, 7:49 PM
    • 992 Posts
    • 903 Thanks
    James_N
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:49 PM
    additional question
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:49 PM
    I'm guessing the question is whether the farmer can use red diesel on the road in these situations. The answer is yes.
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    is it legal to run tractor trailer combos with no registration details?
    • hollie.weimeraner
    • By hollie.weimeraner 7th Jan 18, 7:53 PM
    • 1,442 Posts
    • 855 Thanks
    hollie.weimeraner
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:53 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:53 PM
    It is provided they are not used on public roads. If they are being used on public roads a registration plate is required on both tractor and trailer.
    • James_N
    • By James_N 7th Jan 18, 7:54 PM
    • 992 Posts
    • 903 Thanks
    James_N
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:54 PM
    this would appear to contradict
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:54 PM
    You have no grievance with the farmer.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    Red diesel

The use of red diesel (also known as Ďrebated fuelí) is only permitted in certain circumstances, including:
    where a vehicle is used only for agricultural purposes and it is travelling to or from different pieces of land occupied by the same person and the pieces of land are not more than 1.5 kilometres apart;

https://www.inbrief.co.uk/agricultural-law/agricultural-vehicles/
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 7th Jan 18, 7:56 PM
    • 903 Posts
    • 667 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:56 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:56 PM
    Are you saying the tractors arenít registered or the trailers arenít displaying a plate?
    • James_N
    • By James_N 7th Jan 18, 7:59 PM
    • 992 Posts
    • 903 Thanks
    James_N
    no plates
    Are you saying the tractors arenít registered or the trailers arenít displaying a plate?
    no plates. I have no idea of registration processes for towed farm machinery, so no idea of if they can be / are registered in any way.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 7th Jan 18, 8:06 PM
    • 903 Posts
    • 667 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    no plates. I have no idea of registration processes for towed farm machinery, so no idea of if they can be / are registered in any way.
    So not plate on the trailer? Itís hardly the worst offence in the world, they donít need to be registered and you can probably read the tractor reg with a trailer on.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 7th Jan 18, 8:16 PM
    • 13,287 Posts
    • 8,418 Thanks
    arcon5
    It really all comes down to entitlement. Car users seem to think they should have greater entitlement to the roads than others. See it all the time... usually though in scenarios where the motorist thinks lorries should be banned during the day because they are only doing 50 in a 60
    • James_N
    • By James_N 7th Jan 18, 8:22 PM
    • 992 Posts
    • 903 Thanks
    James_N
    thanks - but ...
    It really all comes down to entitlement. Car users seem to think they should have greater entitlement to the roads than others. See it all the time... usually though in scenarios where the motorist thinks lorries should be banned during the day because they are only doing 50 in a 60
    Originally posted by arcon5
    I appreciate what you are saying here, but this question is not really about my use of the road as a driver. It's about excessive (and seemingly unnecessary) movement of heavy machinery on a narrow road. I hardly drive, and all driving around here needs to have compromise with other users - that's expected. No sense of entitlement at all.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 7th Jan 18, 8:26 PM
    • 26,423 Posts
    • 10,571 Thanks
    forgotmyname

Thats funny... You state that and yet quote information from other websites without express written permission.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 7th Jan 18, 8:27 PM
    • 10,191 Posts
    • 8,280 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Red diesel

The use of red diesel (also known as ‘rebated fuel’) is only permitted in certain circumstances, including:
    where a vehicle is used only for agricultural purposes and it is travelling to or from different pieces of land occupied by the same person and the pieces of land are not more than 1.5 kilometres apart;

I think this is the para that covers it.

"where the vehicle is a tractor and it is designed and constructed primarily for off-road use and its use on a public road is for agricultural purposes";
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 7th Jan 18, 8:34 PM
    • 2,226 Posts
    • 2,828 Thanks
    unforeseen
    You should have read the T&C's when you signed up to the site.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/site/terms-conditions. Para 7
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 7th Jan 18, 8:35 PM
    • 903 Posts
    • 667 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Red diesel

The use of red diesel (also known as Ďrebated fuelí) is only permitted in certain circumstances, including:

Thatís the trouble with the internet because this site says different.

https://www.crownoiluk.com/red-diesel-law/
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 7th Jan 18, 8:37 PM
    • 3,772 Posts
    • 3,834 Thanks
    DoaM
    Thats funny... You state that and yet quote information from other websites without express written permission.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    What's even funnier is that he has no copyright whatsoever regarding whatever he posts here ... copyright actually belongs to MSE.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • James_N
    • By James_N 7th Jan 18, 8:37 PM
    • 992 Posts
    • 903 Thanks
    James_N
    Thatís the trouble with the internet because this site says different.

https://www.crownoiluk.com/red-diesel-law/
    Yeah, I saw that too. Thus the questions.
    • James_N
    • By James_N 7th Jan 18, 8:39 PM
    • 992 Posts
    • 903 Thanks
    James_N
    ha
    What's even funnier is that he has no copyright whatsoever regarding whatever he posts here ... copyright actually belongs to MSE.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    What is even funnier is people with nothing better to do than be difficult or critical of an evening.

Try being constructive could you?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,778Posts Today

6,597Users online

Martin's Twitter