Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• cwrichards1987
    • By cwrichards1987 7th Jan 18, 6:48 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 1Thanks
    CCJ Set Aside After 2 Years
    • 7th Jan 18, 6:48 PM
    CCJ Set Aside After 2 Years 7th Jan 18 at 6:48 PM

I moved out my flat over two years ago. 3-4 months after I contacted my landlord to collect any post that had been sent since I had left.

To my shock I found that I had been sent a court summons for the amount of £171 for a phone bill 8 years prior. Because I had not received the summons the hearing had happend and the CCJ locked in. I could not even clear the balance in one month of the CCJ because i has received the post two months after said hearing.

I paid the money straight away and at the time was told I would need to pay another £225 for a hearing to get it set aside. At the time I didn’t chase it down, I didn’t have the money and had some personal issues going on.

2 years on I have checked my credit file and it says satisfied but I am about to apply for a house with a letting agency and am worried I will get declined because of it.

Can I still apply to get it set aside two years after paying it? Based on the grounds that I never received the post as I never lived at the address it was all sent to.

Thanks, Chris.
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 7th Jan 18, 7:15 PM
    • 34,769 Posts
    • 18,793 Thanks
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:15 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:15 PM
    Read up on set aside by consent (no hearing involved and only £100 fee - fee for a hearing is now £255)

You need to get the creditor to agree.

(Chances of success 2 years after paying depend on whether the Judge sees it as a credit laundering exercise)

How long ago was the CCJ registered? After 6 years it's removed from all records
    • Arleen
    • By Arleen 7th Jan 18, 7:51 PM
    • 1,141 Posts
    • 861 Thanks
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:51 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:51 PM
    After 2 years and paying off the set aside you really don't have a chance to have it removed. To get it set aside you must first act promptly (2 years is way too long, and while I can be sympathetic to circumstances, it's still 2 years) and you must have a valid dispute against the CCJ, but since you've paid it off as soon as you've found it out... Highly unlikely that it will get granted.

The reason you got the post late is that you didn't update them with your current address and/or didn't set up a mail forward, not something that will get the set aside granted either I am afraid.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 7th Jan 18, 9:39 PM
    • 13,436 Posts
    • 12,848 Thanks
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:39 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:39 PM
    You cannot set aside a judgement you have already paid off.

Time will remove it from your credit file (6 years).
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to Any views are mine and not the official line of

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see :
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,265Posts Today

7,817Users online

Martin's Twitter