Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 7th Jan 18, 6:32 PM
    • 1,466Posts
    • 1,511Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    Transition from rented to buying
    • 7th Jan 18, 6:32 PM
    Transition from rented to buying 7th Jan 18 at 6:32 PM
    Our tenancy has 1 year left after which we hope to buy. I'm already nervous about the transition as our letting agent won't allow a month to month tenancy. Its min of 1 year.
    I'm thinking to investigate our mortgage eligibility around August. If not eligible we can renew tenancy for a year. If eligible we have 5 months in which to find a place and give notice.
    Does this sound about right?
    I'm really worried we might give notice then not find anything we like!
Page 1
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 7th Jan 18, 6:54 PM
    • 522 Posts
    • 800 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 7th Jan 18, 6:54 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 6:54 PM
    It doesn't matter what your landlords agent says. You have a legal right to go on to a monthly rolling tenancy. Also you don't need to give any notice if you're leaving at the end of your fixed term. Please read...

* Ending/renewing an AST: what happens when a fixed term ends? How can a LL or tenant end a tenancy? What is a periodic tenancy?
    Last edited by Slithery; 07-01-2018 at 7:14 PM.
    • Lolly88
    • By Lolly88 7th Jan 18, 7:11 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 780 Thanks
    Lolly88
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:11 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:11 PM
    My previous rental only allowed fixed term contracts or so they claimed. But once my contract was up I stated that I preferred a periodic tenancy because I was unsure about my circumstances and couldn't commit to another year contract and wrote directly to the landlord to inform them of this. This was fine for a while but eventually the letting agency kicked up a massive stink about it because it meant they couldn't charge me the ridiculous fee they had to sign on to a new fixed term and it did cause me a lot of headache and stress sticking to my guns. But ultimately it was worth it because if I had allowed them to bully me into a new contract I would have been financially reponsible for paying for my old rental much longer than I needed which would have made it difficult for me to move. I never did hear back from the landlord so never knew what their take was on it.

Check your contract - it should have the contact details of your landlord. Contact them directly to ask permission for moving to a periodic - it's up to them not the agency. Alternatively if you are prepared to face the wrath of the agency just decline to sign the contract and stay put until you've completed on your house - it would take months and a lot of expense to evict you legally so there is not much they can do aside from give you grief.
    House Fund - £32104.67
    Currently buying a house
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 7th Jan 18, 7:52 PM
    • 1,466 Posts
    • 1,511 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:52 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:52 PM
    Interesting thanks. I remember a long time at when we were renting and bought a house, we went onto a rolling month by month contract and it was simple to manage. Current agents claim 1 year is the minimum. I do have the landlords details. We actually thought of asking him if he would sell to us.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 7th Jan 18, 8:41 PM
    • 42,815 Posts
    • 50,057 Thanks
    G_M
    • 7th Jan 18, 8:41 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 8:41 PM
    My previous rental only allowed fixed term contracts or so they claimed. But once my contract was up I stated that I preferred a periodic tenancy because I was unsure about my circumstances and couldn't commit to another year contract and wrote directly to the landlord to inform them of this. .........
    Originally posted by Lolly88
    A tenant does not even need to 'state' anything. Just wait for the fixed term to end, and stay.

* Ending/renewing an AST: what happens when a fixed term ends? How can a LL or tenant end a tenancy? What is a periodic tenancy?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,306Posts Today

9,819Users online

Martin's Twitter