Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Misslayed
    • By Misslayed 7th Jan 18, 5:41 PM
    • 3,844Posts
    • 20,222Thanks
    Misslayed
    Internet protection for teenage granddaughters?
    • 7th Jan 18, 5:41 PM
    Internet protection for teenage granddaughters? 7th Jan 18 at 5:41 PM
    My granddaughters are 15 and 13, they have tablet/iPad but no laptop or PC for homework, so Mr. M has ‘box freshed’ (is that a verb?) and updated my unused Dell mini laptop for them to use. It is slow, but not as slow as traipsing across town to the library to use theirs. They live with their ditsy mother and her current boyfriend, and I don’t trust either of them to make the effort to ensure they are safe online. Their Dad bought their hand held devises and put parental controls on them. I’ve seen K9 recommended, but in a fairly old post, Stone Age in technological terms. We need something we can install on the ‘Dellboy’ before we give it to them. Is K9 still recommended? Any other advice? Elder granddaughter is tech savvy but sensible (think Saffy in Abfab), but I’m fairly sure the younger (not so tech or anything savvy) one will go looking.
    Any advice or recommendations appreciated
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a (novice) Board Guide on the Competitions, Site Feedback and Campaigns boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Page 2
    • Misslayed
    • By Misslayed 8th Jan 18, 4:52 PM
    • 3,844 Posts
    • 20,222 Thanks
    Misslayed
    I realise teens are eleventy million times more tech savvy than me, they teach me how to use my phone, do Instagram etc. But that doesn’t mean I shouldn’t try to prevent them seeing ‘stuff’ that can’t be unseen. I have to do my best for them.
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a (novice) Board Guide on the Competitions, Site Feedback and Campaigns boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 8th Jan 18, 9:57 PM
    • 19,174 Posts
    • 14,834 Thanks
    agrinnall
    On Dell and Toshibas laptops that I have seen you can disable it in the bios. On my Samsung not. Also you can go to the drivers and stop it there too.
    Originally posted by were
    Are you saying those changes are not reversible? If they're not then obviously that'll work, but the camera could never be used again, which seems overkill. And if they are reversible than why do you think the person doing the disabling would be the only person who could reverse it?

I'm in agreement with those saying teach them how to be safe on the internet, and also with Tarambor's view that this is something that is primarily the responsibility of parents.
    • Misslayed
    • By Misslayed 8th Jan 18, 10:04 PM
    • 3,844 Posts
    • 20,222 Thanks
    Misslayed
    “I'm in agreement with those saying teach them how to be safe on the internet, and also with Tarambor's view that this is something that is primarily the responsibility of parents.” This should be a quote, not sure why it isn’t

So am I! But they do not live in my household, their mother believes in fairies and thought it would be a good experiment to home school them “to see if I can”. (Both back in school after 3 terms as they were bored to tears). I’m doing my best to be remotely responsible (as in from afar).
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 9th Jan 18, 10:19 AM
    • 2,027 Posts
    • 965 Thanks
    Stoke
    I realise teens are eleventy million times more tech savvy than me, they teach me how to use my phone, do Instagram etc. But that doesn’t mean I shouldn’t try to prevent them seeing ‘stuff’ that can’t be unseen. I have to do my best for them.
    Originally posted by Misslayed
    By all means you should, but please don't feel bad or guilty if they find a way past any of the blocks you put in place.

If you really want to stop them doing it, ban the internet altogether. Sorted.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,811Posts Today

9,250Users online

Martin's Twitter