Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gers
    • By Gers 7th Jan 18, 5:11 PM
    • 6,022Posts
    • 36,507Thanks
    Gers
    Old fashioned door handle
    • 7th Jan 18, 5:11 PM
    Old fashioned door handle 7th Jan 18 at 5:11 PM
    My mum has these door handles on all her interior doors (both sides), now one has broken.

I have tried a couple of DIY sheds and a couple of 'proper' hardware shops as well as the online auction site and can't find any of these. I keep getting told that they are out of production now - and understand why.

Does anyone out there know where one of these can be bought please?

The broken one is on the hall side of the door so it the other one could be moved to take it's place and something else put on the inside, though it would be good to have a matching handle.
Page 1
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 7th Jan 18, 5:29 PM
    • 682 Posts
    • 335 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    • 7th Jan 18, 5:29 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 5:29 PM
    Not seen anything to match that, an online search of door furniture might come up with a supplier.
    The site ull_handle">https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/browse/door-furniture/entrance-handles-and-push-plates/page1?fl=typeull_handle
    has loads of styles (There will be lots more) so there might be something acceptable if not a match.
    • road2manchester
    • By road2manchester 7th Jan 18, 7:24 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    road2manchester
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:24 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:24 PM
    Proper 1950's or before.
    Search fleabay etc for Art Deco or collectable interior door handles ... they were very popular back in the day. If your mum knows the years the house was built (i suspect 1930-49s) this will help .
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 7th Jan 18, 8:43 PM
    • 24,222 Posts
    • 67,022 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 7th Jan 18, 8:43 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 8:43 PM
    If you have a search alert running on ebay to email you each day, it will pop up at some point. Everything does. I’ve never been let down, it’s just patience that pays off.

They are lovely. Worth waiting for
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 7th Jan 18, 8:49 PM
    • 10,340 Posts
    • 26,428 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 7th Jan 18, 8:49 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 8:49 PM
    A reclamation yard?
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Gers
    • By Gers 8th Jan 18, 7:49 AM
    • 6,022 Posts
    • 36,507 Thanks
    Gers
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:49 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:49 AM
    Thanks for the advice folks.

The doors have all been covered at some point hiding, though preserving, glorious wood. Mum bought the house in Ď76 though it dates from about 1900.

Iíll do the eBay thing, not sure what to call the handles so will do a broad brush search.

Thereís a architectural salvage business not too far from her so Iíll try them when Iím down with her at the weekend.

I didnít imagine that the handles would be so difficult to source.
    • pimento
    • By pimento 8th Jan 18, 9:43 AM
    • 5,275 Posts
    • 6,827 Thanks
    pimento
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:43 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:43 AM
    Try searching for Vintage Lucite door handles.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
    • Gers
    • By Gers 8th Jan 18, 10:27 AM
    • 6,022 Posts
    • 36,507 Thanks
    Gers
    • 8th Jan 18, 10:27 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 10:27 AM
    The search for 'Lucite' turned up trumps! Thanks, I've now bought a replacement handle, not exactly the same but it'll be good to put it on the inside of the door.

Many thanks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,045Posts Today

9,768Users online

Martin's Twitter