Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • realslyshady
    • By realslyshady 7th Jan 18, 5:06 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 1Thanks
    realslyshady
    Drain Doctor
    • 7th Jan 18, 5:06 PM
    Drain Doctor 7th Jan 18 at 5:06 PM
    Hi all,

After a CCTV inspection on my drains, I've been quoted £2,585+VAT (£3,102) for the following jobs. Any thoughts on whether that's bang on or perhaps a bit steep? Thanks!

Survey section 1 Manhole - Main
    Carry out pressure jetting to remove fine roots
    Reline drain with a 3mm Polyester sleeve from manhole to property boundary (approx 10m)

Survey section 2 SVP - Manhole
    Insert a 150mm x 700mm 90 degree patch liner to repair open joint and fractured pipe

Survey section 3 WC - Manhole
    Insert a 100mm x 600mm localised patch liner to repair fractured pipes

Front gully
    Carry out sonde and trace to locate main drain running down side of property
    Excavate trench from gully to main drain (approx 1.5m)
    Lay new 110mm PVC pipe and connect to main drain
    Connect gully + reinstate

Thank you!
    Last edited by realslyshady; 07-01-2018 at 5:42 PM.
Page 1
    • Furts
    • By Furts 8th Jan 18, 7:40 AM
    • 3,736 Posts
    • 2,360 Thanks
    Furts
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:40 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:40 AM
    You do not say how deep the drains are which makes an enormous unknown on costing work like that. in general, in your part of the world, one would expect a reasonable supply of reasonable cost labour. The sensible way forward is to talk to local groundwork companies, and you are likely to find they will replace the defective pipe and simply mortar, or flex seal, other defects. On this basis establish a price, but also establish who owns the drains and do you have authority to be meddling with them.

Ultimately one has to ask if these defects even exist - cctv is wonderful for finding "faults". I assume you have viewed the cctv and all the "faults" have been clearly explained to you?
    • realslyshady
    • By realslyshady 8th Jan 18, 12:08 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    realslyshady
    • 8th Jan 18, 12:08 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 12:08 PM
    Thanks for the advice Furts. The drains are about 1.2m deep, as far as I can tell from the diagrams. We've looked at the CCTV footage, but honestly it all seemed much of a muchness to us. That said, there are photos that clearly show some of the points identified (tree roots and cracks). Think we'll ring around a bit first before proceeding.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

216Posts Today

1,941Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin