Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Markdavid1962
    • By Markdavid1962 7th Jan 18, 2:39 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Markdavid1962
    Car insurance admin charge
    • 7th Jan 18, 2:39 PM
    Car insurance admin charge 7th Jan 18 at 2:39 PM
    My daughter was promoted in the school she works in on the 12 December 2017, her car renewal has just come up as the current policy ends on 15 January and we called GoGirl to protect her no claims bonus and adjust the quote we had received, during the call on 5/1/18 they verified her details and are now asking for £25 admin charge for a change of job title (same school, no travel during the day) and a back dated premium charge of £73 (which is another months payment). This would mean she would be paying nearly £150 for the last month, (double the normal amount). I used a comparison site to check her insurance by both job descriptions and the difference per year is £73 with GoGirl.

I have called them and they are insisting this is correct as you have to inform them within 21 days of any change otherwise you have to pay a back dated premium charge and an admin fee. Is this normal practice and and do they count the days as calendar days, working days and do the include the 3 Public holidays, according to GoGirl we should have told them by the 2nd January 2018 which includes the 3 Public holidays. My daughter called them on January 6th, not impressed at all, considering the time spent on hold each time she has called.
    They have said if my daughter renews they will consider waiving the charges.

Any advice on this please
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 7th Jan 18, 3:49 PM
    • 33,973 Posts
    • 17,899 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 7th Jan 18, 3:49 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 3:49 PM
    The charge will be correct for notifying a mid term change like this

But she shouldn't pay it if she thinks they made a mistake - she should ask for the charge being asked to be itemised and dispute anything she sees wrong.

She should shop round for new quotes before renewing. There may be cheaper deals elsewhere

(Never simply renew)
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 7th Jan 18, 8:59 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    • 7th Jan 18, 8:59 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 8:59 PM
    My daughter was promoted in the school she works in on the 12 December 2017, her car renewal has just come up as the current policy ends on 15 January and we called GoGirl to protect her no claims bonus and adjust the quote we had received, during the call on 5/1/18 they verified her details and are now asking for £25 admin charge for a change of job title (same school, no travel during the day) and a back dated premium charge of £73 (which is another months payment). This would mean she would be paying nearly £150 for the last month, (double the normal amount). I used a comparison site to check her insurance by both job descriptions and the difference per year is £73 with GoGirl.

I have called them and they are insisting this is correct as you have to inform them within 21 days of any change otherwise you have to pay a back dated premium charge and an admin fee. Is this normal practice and and do they count the days as calendar days, working days and do the include the 3 Public holidays, according to GoGirl we should have told them by the 2nd January 2018 which includes the 3 Public holidays. My daughter called them on January 6th, not impressed at all, considering the time spent on hold each time she has called.
    They have said if my daughter renews they will consider waiving the charges.

Any advice on this please
    Originally posted by Markdavid1962
    What job does she do? Is she a teacher? If she is a teacher and got a promotion then she is still a teacher, so that is her job.
    • TrickyDicky101
    • By TrickyDicky101 8th Jan 18, 8:37 AM
    • 2,879 Posts
    • 1,844 Thanks
    TrickyDicky101
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:37 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:37 AM
    What job does she do? Is she a teacher? If she is a teacher and got a promotion then she is still a teacher, so that is her job.
    Originally posted by ValiantSon
    ^ this is what I was thinking - my role title changes regularly but I am still an accountant in every one (so don't notify my insurers of a change).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,574Posts Today

10,485Users online

Martin's Twitter