Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sammy2018
    • By Sammy2018 7th Jan 18, 2:37 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Sammy2018
    Dentist refuses to replace old crown
    • 7th Jan 18, 2:37 PM
    Dentist refuses to replace old crown 7th Jan 18 at 2:37 PM
    Hi all

I have some pain that comes and goes on a 20+ year old crown. In that time, it's also become unaligned and formed a gap between the two top teeth. The whole thing looks crooked. And the crown itself sits on one of those teeth.

Now the (NHS) dentist is saying to just live with the pain. I can't believe he resorted to that. Is he allowed to say such a thing?
Page 1
    • brook2jack
    • By brook2jack 7th Jan 18, 2:58 PM
    • 4,074 Posts
    • 3,695 Thanks
    brook2jack
    • 7th Jan 18, 2:58 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 2:58 PM
    Have you been back again since your last posting when you had x rays and nothing could be seen and because it was only occasional mild pain the dentist advised leaving it alone?

If , for instance , the tooth has been root filled and has a large post in it , or there is gum disease going on around the tooth the dentist may feel that replacing the crown is not viable and the only alternative is to take the tooth out.

However this is something you need to discuss with the dentist who can see you and your x Rays.

You can pay for a second opinion from another dentist if you are not happy with what the first dentist is saying.
    • Sammy2018
    • By Sammy2018 7th Jan 18, 3:07 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sammy2018
    • 7th Jan 18, 3:07 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 3:07 PM
    Have you been back again since your last posting when you had x rays and nothing could be seen and because it was only occasional mild pain the dentist advised leaving it alone?

If , for instance , the tooth has been root filled and has a large post in it , or there is gum disease going on around the tooth the dentist may feel that replacing the crown is not viable and the only alternative is to take the tooth out.

However this is something you need to discuss with the dentist who can see you and your x Rays.

You can pay for a second opinion from another dentist if you are not happy with what the first dentist is saying.
    Originally posted by brook2jack
    I've not been back since Nov. 2017. I'm going to make another appointment in a few weeks time, and on this occasion I'm going to say the pain's too much to handle. How would he able to refuse *that*? - I mean, I'm actually paying for the stuff. It's not as if I'm getting everything done for free.

The X-rays on the last visit showed no problems; no infection etc...

And with respect, why would I need to see (and pay for) another dentist to see what's going on? - It's hard enough finding one that'll take you on in the first place. I really shouldn't have to do this.
    • brook2jack
    • By brook2jack 7th Jan 18, 4:01 PM
    • 4,074 Posts
    • 3,695 Thanks
    brook2jack
    • 7th Jan 18, 4:01 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 4:01 PM
    If the dentist can see a reason why replacing the crown may be problematic ie for some of the reasons previously explained, they may suggest extraction instead, that would get you out of pain . It is not always easy or appropriate to replace a crown .

A dentist cannot be forced to do treatment that is against their clinical judgement , even if the patient pays for it.

However give any problem to two dentists and you will get three different opinions. There are very few rights and wrongs in dentistry and very few dentists will come up with identical treatment plans.
    • Sammy2018
    • By Sammy2018 7th Jan 18, 4:34 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sammy2018
    • 7th Jan 18, 4:34 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 4:34 PM
    If the dentist can see a reason why replacing the crown may be problematic ie for some of the reasons previously explained, they may suggest extraction instead, that would get you out of pain . It is not always easy or appropriate to replace a crown .

A dentist cannot be forced to do treatment that is against their clinical judgement , even if the patient pays for it.

However give any problem to two dentists and you will get three different opinions. There are very few rights and wrongs in dentistry and very few dentists will come up with identical treatment plans.
    Originally posted by brook2jack
    Thanks. And if there was an extraction to be done, how would they 'cover' the empty space that'd be left? - Presumably another crown is out of the question since there'd be nothing for it to peg on to.
    • brook2jack
    • By brook2jack 7th Jan 18, 4:37 PM
    • 4,074 Posts
    • 3,695 Thanks
    brook2jack
    • 7th Jan 18, 4:37 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 4:37 PM
    There are various options from implants (only available privately circa £2000) to dentures and if the tooth needed to come out the dentist should discuss this with you.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 7th Jan 18, 4:42 PM
    • 34,146 Posts
    • 18,098 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 7th Jan 18, 4:42 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 4:42 PM
    Thanks. And if there was an extraction to be done, how would they 'cover' the empty space that'd be left? - Presumably another crown is out of the question since there'd be nothing for it to peg on to.
    Originally posted by Sammy2018

Lots of options:

eg:
    Fixed Bridges, Removable Partial Denture... Implants..Partial Denture
    Last edited by Quentin; 07-01-2018 at 4:44 PM.
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 7th Jan 18, 4:58 PM
    • 4,369 Posts
    • 5,661 Thanks
    jack_pott
    • 7th Jan 18, 4:58 PM
    I've got a crown. At the time he put it in, the dentist told me that the tooth will have to come out when it eventually fails.
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • Sammy2018
    • By Sammy2018 7th Jan 18, 4:58 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sammy2018
    Thanks guys. Much appreciated.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

55Posts Today

3,606Users online

Martin's Twitter