Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Medihv
    • By Medihv 7th Jan 18, 2:28 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 12Thanks
    Medihv
    Should I spend money and do up my house?
    • 7th Jan 18, 2:28 PM
    Should I spend money and do up my house? 7th Jan 18 at 2:28 PM
    Hello and thank you in advance for any help you are able to give.

I bought my first home a little over a year ago. I had a fairly large deposit and bought a little 2 bed detached house for £144,000.

I initially intended on spending the remainder of my savings on the house to do it up a little. One of the main things that i wanted to do was install a new kitchen. The old one isn't too bad, but lacks intelligent use of the space available.

To add a little complication, I word for the MOD and I am due a posting to another location, this could be within be any time from 1 year to 3 years, however I should get plenty of notice.

I know that the 2 questions that I want to ask below are a little complicated to answer and it depends on many factors, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1 - does upgrading the kitchen add the value to the house (example - would spending £5k add 5K to the value?) - its something that I want to do, but i dont want to do it if i end up moving location in 1 year and the kitchen doesnt add value to the house.

2 - Weirdly, in my small house, I have a downstairs bathroom (Bath, shower, toilet and sink) and a upstairs bathroom ( toilet and sink) - I have no idea why such a little house would need 2 toilets and have been thinking about converting the upstairs toilet into a storage room with shelves. Do buyers want a second bathroom? Would doing this hurt the value of the house?

I am overpaying the mortgage as much as i can afford to do on a monthly basis, so I'm a little lost with what to do. Part of me just wants to keep paying of the mortgage, but i am wondering if i would get more for my money by upgrading the house (kitchen and upstairs bathroom).

I can provide pictures / floor plan if that helps.

Thanks again.
    Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.
    ----------------
    If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way.
    ----------------
    The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches but to reveal to him his own.
Page 1
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 7th Jan 18, 2:36 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    HampshireH
    • 7th Jan 18, 2:36 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 2:36 PM
    Hello and thank you in advance for any help you are able to give.

2 - Weirdly, in my small house, I have a downstairs bathroom (Bath, shower, toilet and sink) and a upstairs bathroom ( toilet and sink) - I have no idea why such a little house would need 2 toilets and have been thinking about converting the upstairs toilet into a storage room with shelves. Do buyers want a second bathroom? Would doing this hurt the value of the house?

Thanks again.
    Originally posted by Medihv
    As someone on the look out for a suitable property (and very much taking my time). I would bypass a property that had converted an upstairs bathroom (WC) into a storage room in favour of keeping a downstairs bathroom.

It of course depends on the layout but many families appreciate the bathroom being upstairs. I grew up in a house with a downstairs bathroom so it isnt really an issue, but my dad had surgery last year and had to spend several weeks in bed - the bathroom being downstairs was not helpful at all. In practical terms it would have been much easier to have a toilet upstairs and I would only buy if this was the case OR I could put one in.
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 7th Jan 18, 2:41 PM
    • 516 Posts
    • 582 Thanks
    ProDave
    • 7th Jan 18, 2:41 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 2:41 PM
    A house with a downstairs bathroom has the big disadvantage of needing to go down for a pee if you need one in the middle of the night. Having an upstairs loo solves that so I would keep it. Without it a lot of buyers might be put off.

If you are likely to need to sell, if the kitchen is servicable keep it as it is. Unless you buy a cheap Howdens Kitchen and fit it yourself, it is unlikely to add as much as it costs.
    • Medihv
    • By Medihv 7th Jan 18, 2:43 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Medihv
    • 7th Jan 18, 2:43 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 2:43 PM
    Images if it helps.

https://ibb.co/kn9Bgb

https://ibb.co/hxdhnG

https://ibb.co/nrOtuw
    ----------------
    ----------------
    The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches but to reveal to him his own.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 7th Jan 18, 2:46 PM
    • 3,517 Posts
    • 4,866 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 7th Jan 18, 2:46 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 2:46 PM
    What are you thinking of doing if you get posted? Travelling home at weekends or letting the house out for the time of the posting? If you are thinking of letting it a new kitchen might make is more attractive? If not is there any rush? The upstairs toilet is a really good thing to have. Saves you go going downstairs in the night to the loo.

Having seen your pictures your house looks fine. I think the kitchen is very nice for now. It appears to have a lot of life left in it.

The upstairs toilet is good to have.
    Last edited by Cakeguts; 07-01-2018 at 2:50 PM.
    • WibblyGirly
    • By WibblyGirly 7th Jan 18, 2:49 PM
    • 284 Posts
    • 544 Thanks
    WibblyGirly
    • 7th Jan 18, 2:49 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 2:49 PM
    For me personally, I'd want to keep a toilet upstairs. Is it possible to convert that upstairs toilet to put a shower in there? My partners studio flat had a room the same shape and width with shower one side, toilet opposite and a little sink in the middle?
    I dislike a downstairs bath even more than a downstairs toilet, walking through the entire house in my towel with wet hair to get upstairs!

The kitchen, I actually think its really cute! I've had smaller kitchens and yours has more worktop space than I have now so for me as a renter, I'd be happy with the kitchen already there.
    Last edited by WibblyGirly; 07-01-2018 at 2:51 PM.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 7th Jan 18, 3:14 PM
    • 10,170 Posts
    • 8,260 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 7th Jan 18, 3:14 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 3:14 PM
    Removing the upstairs toilet would leave a little storeroom which virtually every potential buyer of your home would want to convert to a toilet. Also a minimum of 2 toilets appears to be the requirement in new build 2 beds, so it is a feature buyers could be expecting.

Spending £5K means you spend £5K. Sometimes you get it back, sometimes you don't, sometimes you get more back. Despite it being a new kitchen, I don't like it - is probably what 50% of your potential buyers will say.

In conclusion, do nothing.
    Last edited by lincroft1710; 07-01-2018 at 3:32 PM.
    • ERICS MUM
    • By ERICS MUM 7th Jan 18, 3:22 PM
    • 3,460 Posts
    • 6,436 Thanks
    ERICS MUM
    • 7th Jan 18, 3:22 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 3:22 PM
    Kitchens are very subjective - who can say if your buyer will share your taste or plan to rip it out ASAP, and ask for a reduction in the sale price to cover that cost. Replacing your kitchen could cost you twice.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 7th Jan 18, 5:23 PM
    • 1,721 Posts
    • 15,101 Thanks
    karcher
    • 7th Jan 18, 5:23 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 5:23 PM
    Leave it as it is.

The kitchen is fine and it's better to have just a toilet upstairs than none at all imo.
    • Mardle
    • By Mardle 7th Jan 18, 5:27 PM
    • 343 Posts
    • 688 Thanks
    Mardle
    I wouldn't lose the upstairs toilet in favour of a storage room. I think it would reduce it's appeal to most potential buyers.

The kitchen looks fine as it is.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 7th Jan 18, 5:29 PM
    • 6,740 Posts
    • 47,916 Thanks
    kerri gt
    The kitchen looks fine. Might not be your taste or the best use of space but it's got lots of life left in it.

As advised, keep the toilet upstairs, a downstairs only bathroom would put me off a house, esp if there were any similar nearly that hadn't taken out the upstairs loo - they would get my preference over one without. Plus, if someone moves in with small children they certainly won't want to traipse downstairs each night for toilet trips. It's more likely to devalue the property than add value removing it.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• gwynlas
    • By gwynlas 7th Jan 18, 5:33 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 217 Thanks
    gwynlas
    Should I spend money and do up my house?
    Kitchen looks fine. Personally I prefer integrated appliances but white goods in white kitchen are okay.
    Do not remove upstairs cloakroom. Even in older terraced houses with ground floor kitchen.bathroom extensions value increased by having at least WC uostairs, Two loos no trek. as they say
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 7th Jan 18, 5:53 PM
    • 1,707 Posts
    • 5,057 Thanks
    Penitent
    One more for the consensus.

I wouldn't buy a house that only had a downstairs loo. It'll put a lot of people off.

Updating the kitchen only really adds value if the kitchen is a total state. Yours is very nice, so replacing it with another very nice kitchen won't add any value.
    • Mickygg
    • By Mickygg 7th Jan 18, 6:55 PM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 1,079 Thanks
    Mickygg
    I agree with Penitent.

A new kitchen verses a fine kitchen won't add value, it will just make it easier to sell. Your kitchen is fine, actually looks quite nice.
    I had a very dated kitchen. I gave it a spraypaint, changed the handles and then the house sold. Previously I was told the kitchen was the drawback. I didn't get more money for it though, just it helped me sell.
    • Mickygg
    • By Mickygg 7th Jan 18, 6:55 PM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 1,079 Thanks
    Mickygg
    I agree with Penitent.

A new kitchen verses a fine kitchen won't add value, it will just make it easier to sell. Your kitchen is fine, actually looks quite nice.
    I had a very dated kitchen. I gave it a spraypaint, changed the handles and then the house sold. Previously I was told the kitchen was the drawback. I didn't get more money for it though, just it helped me sell.
    • Lolly88
    • By Lolly88 7th Jan 18, 7:04 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 780 Thanks
    Lolly88
    Definitely leave the kitchen as it, it's cute in its current state. People have different tastes - I can't count the number of houses I've seen with an extra 5k or so wacked onto the asking price to account for a new kitchen or bathroom where the previous one was fine as it was and the new one is not to my personal taste and I would want replacing. Only do it if you want to appease your own enjoyment of living in the house without the expectation of it being an investment.
    House Fund - £32104.67
    Currently buying a house
    • Medihv
    • By Medihv 7th Jan 18, 7:41 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Medihv
    Thank you all so much for the advice.

I will continue to overpay on the mortgage and will leave the upstairs bathroom.

Thanks again.
    ----------------
    ----------------
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,547Posts Today

10,590Users online

Martin's Twitter