Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Aaronlm
    • By Aaronlm 7th Jan 18, 1:56 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Aaronlm
    House renting question
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:56 PM
    House renting question 7th Jan 18 at 1:56 PM
    I'm looking to move in with my grandfather who is in a council house being paid by housing benefits. I am working full time and willing to pay the rent and tax. Will there be any issue with me doing this. He's getting old now so I wanna be there to help him while I'm single. Also would it cause a d issues if I left in a few years? Would he ba able to keep the home and 're apply for housing benefits? Thanks
Page 1
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 7th Jan 18, 2:05 PM
    • 9,227 Posts
    • 12,243 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 7th Jan 18, 2:05 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 2:05 PM
    What sort of tenancy does he have - "presumably secure"?? Check. If so you might have a right (eventually, I know you weren't asking) to "succeed" to the tenancy.
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/council_housing_association/secure_council_tenancies
    &
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/council_housing_association/can_you_inherit_a_council_tenancy

Check the terms (either the tenancy or council website or ask them) that you can move in. Normally yes, no problem (assuming enough room). Highly likely HB & perhaps other benefits will be affected due to your income, but I can't see why he should lose his home.

Check out both now & when you-move-in benefits using
    https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Council tax will go up as no longer entitled to 25% single-occupant discount.

Best wishes to you both

NB Check it is still council landlord: Many have been sold off to other organisations...
    Last edited by theartfullodger; 07-01-2018 at 2:08 PM.
    • Aaronlm
    • By Aaronlm 7th Jan 18, 2:10 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Aaronlm
    • 7th Jan 18, 2:10 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 2:10 PM
    I'm happy to pay it all but if i meet someone and settle down I wanna know he'll be safe to stay there. Not sure exactly but I assume it's secure tenancy. There's never been any issues it's his house til he dies we assume. He's worrying that he will lose his state pension if I move in. I dont think they will ever stop that will they?
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 7th Jan 18, 2:31 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    HampshireH
    • 7th Jan 18, 2:31 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 2:31 PM
    He won't have his house taken off him if you move in then out again. Unless you cause significant problems that require tenancy enforcement action (obviously assuming that not going to happen ).

The coming and going of an additional occupant won't affect the rights of his tenancy agreement. always best to let the Council/HA know you are becoming an occupant and again if you leave.

People's benefit entitlement changes all the time depending on circumstances. It may be disruptive if you leave and he has to re-claim benefits and there may be a delay. But if you are supporting him then you would surely cover any rent until his claim is back in place so he doesnt fall into arrears.

Can't comment on the state pension, I always thought it was a personal benefit and not related to changes in occupancy. Unless there is a Wife/Partner who may affect the claim or lack of qualifying payments to NI.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 7th Jan 18, 4:46 PM
    • 42,736 Posts
    • 49,943 Thanks
    G_M
    • 7th Jan 18, 4:46 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 4:46 PM
    state pension will be unaffected.

HB is likely to be removed while you are there.

Single occupancy discounton councl tax (25%) will be removed)
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 7th Jan 18, 5:11 PM
    • 10,977 Posts
    • 12,874 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 7th Jan 18, 5:11 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 5:11 PM
    It would be sensible to check which benefits your grandad is actually receiving so more detailed advice can be given.

For instance he might be receiving pension credit and/ or DLA/PIP/AA?

Your moving in would usually mean that there would be a non dependent deduction from his housing benefit. If he were receiving DLA/ PIP /AA then no dependent deduction would be made.

Other benefits may be affected.

Find out his details and post on the benefits board for detailed help.
    • Aaronlm
    • By Aaronlm 8th Jan 18, 8:06 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Aaronlm
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:06 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:06 AM
    He's only receiving housing benefits and his pension. I think the council tax is paid for him aswell but bot certain on that.
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 8th Jan 18, 9:24 AM
    • 502 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    Margot123
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:24 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:24 AM
    The Council will ask why you want to move in. You may be required to provide evidence that grandfather needs care eg is he on Attendance Allowance, are you able to devote the minimum number of hours to caring for him (they may question that with a full time job)?

Simply being of an advanced age does not imply a need for care.

Councils are quite naturally wary of those wanting cheap housing and avoidance of being on a waiting list (NOT saying this is your case BTW).
    • Aaronlm
    • By Aaronlm 8th Jan 18, 9:31 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Aaronlm
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:31 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:31 AM
    I don't really want to move in solely for the care aspect. I need somewhere to live aswell and I'm willing to pay whatever I have to. Would this be an issue.
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 8th Jan 18, 9:42 AM
    • 502 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    Margot123
    I don't really want to move in solely for the care aspect. I need somewhere to live aswell and I'm willing to pay whatever I have to. Would this be an issue.
    Originally posted by Aaronlm
    I imagine the Council will ask all sorts of questions; it is their property after all.

If they didn't, then they would have a lot of properties where younger people were moving in with older ones for the reasons I have previously stated.

Ring the Council for clarification. Don't just move in with your Grandfather as he could be in trouble for subletting without consent. I know someone who did exactly that; they lost their right to social housing and so did the illegal tenant.
    Last edited by Margot123; 08-01-2018 at 9:45 AM.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 8th Jan 18, 9:51 AM
    • 19,139 Posts
    • 14,821 Thanks
    agrinnall
    I imagine the Council will ask all sorts of questions; it is their property after all.

If they didn't, then they would have a lot of properties where younger people were moving in with older ones for the reasons I have previously stated.

Ring the Council for clarification. Don't just move in with your Grandfather as he could be in trouble for subletting without consent. I know someone who did exactly that; they lost their right to social housing and so did the illegal tenant.
    Originally posted by Margot123
    I think your imagination is running riot right. It is in no way subletting, at most the OP would be a lodger, but I'm not sure that a family member would even be regarded as that. Unless you can back up your views with legislation I'd say they are unnecessary scaremongering.
    Last edited by agrinnall; 08-01-2018 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Spotted I'd used the wrong word
    • NYM
    • By NYM 8th Jan 18, 10:01 AM
    • 3,379 Posts
    • 5,911 Thanks
    NYM
    Did your grandmother ever live in the property?
    • t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 8th Jan 18, 11:43 AM
    • 2,964 Posts
    • 1,841 Thanks
    t0rt0ise
    This is a double thread. Why did you post the same thing twice?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5770170
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 8th Jan 18, 12:00 PM
    • 9,227 Posts
    • 12,243 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    ....Ring the Council for clarification. .....
    He's not the tenant, he has no contract or relationship with council: Council would be wrong to advise him. It's the tenant who needs to check... (perhaps via carefully worded email/letter drafted by OP)
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 8th Jan 18, 12:17 PM
    • 23,999 Posts
    • 14,010 Thanks
    xylophone
    [QUOTE]I think your imagination is running right[/QUOTE]

Riot?

Unless expressly forbidden by the council, I can't see any reason why the OP should not be his grandfather's lodger.

Presumably Grandpa would need to advise the council that he no longer lived alone.
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 8th Jan 18, 2:04 PM
    • 502 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    Margot123
    I think your imagination is running right. It is in no way subletting, at most the OP would be a lodger, but I'm not sure that a family member would even be regarded as that. Unless you can back up your views with legislation I'd say they are unnecessary scaremongering.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    Things must be very different in the area you live in. OR you have no experience of Council properties and those who live in them.

AND yes, my imagination is running 'RIGHT'. Freudian slip???

Good luck to OP and dear old Grandpa.........
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 8th Jan 18, 10:02 PM
    • 19,139 Posts
    • 14,821 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Things must be very different in the area you live in. OR you have no experience of Council properties and those who live in them.

AND yes, my imagination is running 'RIGHT'. Freudian slip???

Good luck to OP and dear old Grandpa.........
    Not a Freudian slip, a plain error. I still don't see you quoting any legislation to support your view.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 8th Jan 18, 10:04 PM
    • 19,139 Posts
    • 14,821 Thanks
    agrinnall

Riot? Corrected

Unless expressly forbidden by the council, I can't see any reason why the OP should not be his grandfather's lodger.
    Originally posted by xylophone
    Isn't a family member just a house guest, whether they are paying or not?
    • Socajam
    • By Socajam 15th Jan 18, 4:00 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Socajam
    Before jumping in and starting to pay rent/taxes, have a word with your grandfather's GP, explain the situation and they might be able to give you a letter showing that he is declining in health and needs help.
    You could then take that letter to the council to show that you are willing to move in with your grandfather as there is no one else around to help him.
    Under no circumstance mention that you are willing to take on the rent/taxes. Let them work out how much they think your contribution should be. You are willing to take on the job to look after your grandfather, but you should not be penalized for this financially.
    Even though you will be living there, I am sure that your grandfather should still receive benefits, maybe at a reduced level.
    Give it a try, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    Look at it this way, your grandfather have earned what he is receiving, he worked hard all his life and paid into the system, unlike some who have not paid and are receiving benefits monthly.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,806Posts Today

8,581Users online

Martin's Twitter