Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jonnyb1978
    • By jonnyb1978 7th Jan 18, 12:58 PM
    • 1,319Posts
    • 374Thanks
    jonnyb1978
    Miss sold holiday on room type - Options?
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:58 PM
    Miss sold holiday on room type - Options? 7th Jan 18 at 12:58 PM
    Have booked a holiday for July 2018. Have not paid it all yet through First Choice online for 3 adults and one child.

We upgraded to an Ocean front room. The holiday was booked under the assumption the room would be 2 x doubles and a sofa bed. It is advertised on First Choice website as kingsize or 2 x doubles..

However for an Ocean front room in this hotel, there are no 2 x double bed rooms and every ocean front room of this type has a king size bed and sofa only.

So is this false advertising and misleading information?

I do not want to sleep with my wife and 12 year old in same bed with another adult on a sofa bed.

If I knew this I would not have upgraded or booked this room type.

Any advice great appreciated.
    Thanks
Page 1
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 7th Jan 18, 1:00 PM
    • 10,437 Posts
    • 7,362 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:00 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:00 PM
    What are your "assumptions" based upon? Have you actually queried this with the agent?
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 7th Jan 18, 1:01 PM
    • 4,207 Posts
    • 2,333 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:01 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:01 PM
    which hotel?
    • stuartJo1989
    • By stuartJo1989 7th Jan 18, 5:42 PM
    • 401 Posts
    • 391 Thanks
    stuartJo1989
    • 7th Jan 18, 5:42 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 5:42 PM
    How do you know that every ocean view room has only a kingsize + couch only?

If you have prior knowledge (maybe you stayed there previously) then why have you chosen this room type given your knowledge?

I can't see First Group being misleading here to be honest.... They just wouldn't be able to get away with it without you making a complaint when you arrive (it isn't something you'd put up with). So it is likely either:

- A genuine mistake on First Group's part (so speak to them about it!!)

- The place you've gained your "inside information" about the ocean view rooms is actually only advertising inferior quality rooms and the hotel are actually giving the better rooms (2x doubles + couch) to companies like First Group to advertise. Hotel/holiday sites are really crafty with things like that, I should know as I just recently had to check on Tui every single day for about 2 weeks for a "fully booked" holiday package to re-appear. They drip fed it onto the market.
    • jonnyb1978
    • By jonnyb1978 7th Jan 18, 6:39 PM
    • 1,319 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    jonnyb1978
    • 7th Jan 18, 6:39 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 6:39 PM
    Neilmcl : My assumption is based on my online booking saying 2 x double beds as advertised on their website. No I have not queried yet. I'm looking for advice so I can query it with more knowledge of the situation.

Lorain : Hotel is the GBP Akumal, Mexico.

StuartJo : I know because others have had same problem (TripAdvisor) and the actual hotel has confirmed there are no 2 x double bed, only Kingsize in that particular room type. I had no prior knowledge otherwise I would not have booked the room. There is no inside information or selling inferior rooms. The hotel itself has confirmed they do not have 2 x double beds in Ocean front rooms. There website also only advertise Ocean front rooms with Kingsize beds.
    • stuartJo1989
    • By stuartJo1989 7th Jan 18, 6:48 PM
    • 401 Posts
    • 391 Thanks
    stuartJo1989
    • 7th Jan 18, 6:48 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 6:48 PM
    StuartJo : I know because others have had same problem (TripAdvisor) and the actual hotel has confirmed there are no 2 x double bed, only Kingsize in that particular room type. I had no prior knowledge otherwise I would not have booked the room. There is no inside information or selling inferior rooms. The hotel itself has confirmed they do not have 2 x double beds in Ocean front rooms. There website also only advertise Ocean front rooms with Kingsize beds.
    Originally posted by jonnyb1978
    Then pass this information on to First Choice and see what they say.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 7th Jan 18, 8:32 PM
    • 10,437 Posts
    • 7,362 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 7th Jan 18, 8:32 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 8:32 PM
    Neilmcl : My assumption is based on my online booking saying 2 x double beds as advertised on their website. No I have not queried yet. I'm looking for advice so I can query it with more knowledge of the situation.

Lorain : Hotel is the GBP Akumal, Mexico.

Then maybe you'll get 2 x kingsize beds, either way your first port of call should be with First Choice for clarification.
    • Greta Sharbo
    • By Greta Sharbo 7th Jan 18, 9:23 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    Greta Sharbo
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:23 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:23 PM
    Neilmcl : My assumption is based on my online booking saying 2 x double beds as advertised on their website. .
    That's not an assumption. Don't tell them when you speak to them that it was an assumption.
    • cookie365
    • By cookie365 7th Jan 18, 9:24 PM
    • 1,760 Posts
    • 1,157 Thanks
    cookie365
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:24 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:24 PM
    It's possible that every room in the hotel, regardless of whether it has singles, doubles, kingsizes, and regardless of how many, also has a sofa that happens to be a sofa bed.

Anyway, let First Choice figure it out for you. They'll be well used to people checking on exact configurations.
    • jonnyb1978
    • By jonnyb1978 8th Jan 18, 11:24 AM
    • 1,319 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    jonnyb1978
    First choice just saying they can request 2 x double beds as this in in their description. Hotel says they don't do double beds in this type of room.. I'm stuck.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 8th Jan 18, 12:11 PM
    • 10,437 Posts
    • 7,362 Thanks
    neilmcl
    First choice just saying they can request 2 x double beds as this in in their description. Hotel says they don't do double beds in this type of room.. I'm stuck.
    You're not "stuck", you have options. Either accept what First Choice are saying at face value, go and enjoy your holiday and if there is an issue then seek a remedy then. Or, if you're not happy with this cancel & book somewhere else.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 8th Jan 18, 12:38 PM
    • 3,786 Posts
    • 3,844 Thanks
    DoaM
    For the avoidance of doubt ... has the hotel said that ocean view rooms have 2x double or 1x king (plus sofa)? Or is it 2x double or 2x king (plus sofa)?

The latter shouldn't be a problem for you.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 8th Jan 18, 7:23 PM
    • 4,177 Posts
    • 3,132 Thanks
    sheramber
    then presumably you can cancel your booking or swop to a suitable room.

they cannot give you what does not exist.
    • photome
    • By photome 8th Jan 18, 7:52 PM
    • 12,903 Posts
    • 8,390 Thanks
    photome
    WHat do you want first choice to do

Have you asked if you can cancel the upgrade and stick with the non vie room with the beds you require
    • jonnyb1978
    • By jonnyb1978 8th Jan 18, 8:32 PM
    • 1,319 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    jonnyb1978
    Neilmcl : Why would I accept what First choice say, knowing I will not get what they are adverising and seek a remedy whilst on holiday when I'm supposed to be enjoying myself after paying over 7K,

Why should I also cancel, lose depositl and book elsewhere because of a travel agents wrong doing? They can not provide what they are advertising.

DoaM : Oceanfront rooms have a Kingsize and sofa bed according to hotel.
    According to first choice they either have a Kingsize and sofa or 2 x doubles and sofa

I'm disputing the 2 x doubles as if I knew this wasn't an option I would not have upgraded. Although first are saying I can request them I don't see how in any way I will get them if the hotel does not provide them in the room type.

Sheramber / photome : Exactly. Trying to explain this to first choice is proving difficult. They keep saying it's in their spec, and if I would like to request 2 x doubles then let them know. I have not asked to cancel upgrade yet as I have just informed them of my query to see what they say before I take it a step further. But that is the best option really.
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 8th Jan 18, 8:34 PM
    • 4,207 Posts
    • 2,333 Thanks
    Lorian
    DoaM : Oceanfront rooms have a Kingsize and sofa bed according to hotel.
    According to first choice they either have a Kingsize and sofa or 2 x doubles and sofa.
    Maybe the discrepancy is that they DO have junior suites oceanfront but only in the adult section, and your child precludes you from one of those.

I think you do have an issue, and I too would be concerned.
    • jonnyb1978
    • By jonnyb1978 9th Jan 18, 4:23 AM
    • 1,319 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    jonnyb1978
    Yes they do have then in the adults only section but as I have booked with a child then obviously we are not going to put in the adult only section.

So whether I request doubles or not, I am not going to get them. So First choice are trying to offer and have sold me.sometbing I simply will not get..
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 9th Jan 18, 8:24 AM
    • 18,989 Posts
    • 43,854 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Why should I also cancel, lose depositl and book elsewhere because of a travel agents wrong doing? They can not provide what they are advertising.
    I think the assumption is that First Choice should let you cancel and book elsewhere, not that you will cancel and lose your deposit.

Could you get the hotel to put in writing that the rooms you want do not exist?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 9th Jan 18, 8:29 AM
    • 3,786 Posts
    • 3,844 Thanks
    DoaM
    Yes they do have then in the adults only section but as I have booked with a child then obviously we are not going to put in the adult only section.
    What exactly does the First Choice offer say? Did they accept the upgrade request with a clear understanding that you were taking a child?

(Have you booked in store or online?)
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • jonnyb1978
    • By jonnyb1978 9th Jan 18, 8:35 AM
    • 1,319 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    jonnyb1978
    I booked online for 3 adults and one child. Then going through the process had the chance to upgrade room so I did. So they knew I was taking a child as it's on booking information.

I have an email off the hotel stating the rooms come with Kingsize bed.

Firstchoice are saying their spec says I can request 2 x double beds. So keep asking me if I would like to request this.

Im going to have to put it all in writing with evidence officially. Hard speaking to someone on phone.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

995Posts Today

8,037Users online

Martin's Twitter