Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • producer
    • By producer 7th Jan 18, 12:56 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 1Thanks
    producer
    car insurance for old man
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:56 PM
    car insurance for old man 7th Jan 18 at 12:56 PM
    Hi, an elderly relative needs to renew his insurnace this week, and he has been quoted £1,789.00 (or near abouts). Last year it was around £800.00 He has just bturned 82 years old. He hardley travels, he mainlky uses the car to go shopping locally. he Lives in Exeter.

He has a clean record, no accident claims or convictions.

Why has this leaped by £1000.00 overnight? Is there there a low mileage policy that he can buy? Many thanks inadvance.
Page 1
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 7th Jan 18, 1:05 PM
    • 4,193 Posts
    • 2,324 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:05 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:05 PM
    Try Saga Insurance.

Also keep in mind the costs of running a car may not be very MSE compared to the odd Taxi fare/Bus Pass. Depending on locality of course.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 7th Jan 18, 1:13 PM
    • 2,112 Posts
    • 2,808 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:13 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:13 PM
    Try RIAS as well - like Saga they only insure the over 50s.
    • producer
    • By producer 7th Jan 18, 1:49 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    producer
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:49 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:49 PM
    Thanks both of you. He IS with Saga already. I remember a year or so ago hearing that Saga had been accused of NOT giving partial advice on insurance butinstead recomended those companies with whom they had a financial relationship.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 8th Jan 18, 12:42 PM
    • 2,112 Posts
    • 2,808 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 8th Jan 18, 12:42 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 12:42 PM
    Thanks both of you. He IS with Saga already. I remember a year or so ago hearing that Saga had been accused of NOT giving partial advice on insurance butinstead recomended those companies with whom they had a financial relationship.
    Originally posted by producer
    Is it his automatic annual renewal?

It's worth getting a quote from, say, RIAS - and if that's less asking SAGA to match it.
    • Aretnap
    • By Aretnap 8th Jan 18, 1:38 PM
    • 2,898 Posts
    • 2,399 Thanks
    Aretnap
    • 8th Jan 18, 1:38 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 1:38 PM
    Saga have a bit of form for hiking renewal prices in the hope that the customer will just accept the price. (Virtually all insurers do this to an extent, but Saga are particularly good at it - and elderly customers are less likely to be internet savvy and so less likely to shop around.)

Give him a hand to get some quotes on a price comparison site and take it from there.

Is there there a low mileage policy that he can buy?
    Originally posted by producer
    Lower mileage doesn't necesarily mean lower premiums. People who drive very little are often nervous, inexperienced drivers who end up having more accidents than more confident drivers who do more miles. So reducing your mileage below a certain point (I've seen ~8000 miles mentioned) can result in premiums getting higher rather than lower.

I'd also echo the suggestion that if he really does only use the car for occasional trips to the shops then from a money saving point of view it's worth thinking about whether he'd be better off ditching the car altogether and getting taxis instead, though I realise that there may be other reasons why he wants to keep the car.
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 8th Jan 18, 4:38 PM
    • 942 Posts
    • 424 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 8th Jan 18, 4:38 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 4:38 PM
    You may find that about 10% of the premium increase is actual costs from the insurer; and 90% of the increase is Saga's commission increase. I've seen that time and time again with Saga, coming from a position where I was an underwriter for an insurer on their panel.

They love renewing customers, and the older their customers get the higher their commission goes.
    • producer
    • By producer 8th Jan 18, 6:14 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    producer
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:14 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:14 PM
    Thank you everyone. I'll report back with the results.
    • producer
    • By producer 17th Jan 18, 9:40 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    producer
    • 17th Jan 18, 9:40 AM
    sorted
    • 17th Jan 18, 9:40 AM
    For your information, he has been offered insurance at around £800 with Age concern. Thanks for your help.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

84Posts Today

3,913Users online

Martin's Twitter