Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DJ1418
    • By DJ1418 7th Jan 18, 12:17 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 6Thanks
    DJ1418
    Curry's Returns Policy
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:17 PM
    Curry's Returns Policy 7th Jan 18 at 12:17 PM
    Hi,
    Bought a pair of headphones from Currie's, got home tried them, found the sound to be really echo y
    which I didn't like. Decided to return them for a refund only to be told due to H and S I couldn't receive a refund. WTH were do you go with this, £170 item has to be kept because of H and S.
    Have I got any rights on this?
Page 1
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 7th Jan 18, 12:23 PM
    • 3,551 Posts
    • 6,104 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:23 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:23 PM
    Hi,
    Bought a pair of headphones from Currie's, got home tried them, found the sound to be really echo y
    which I didn't like. Decided to return them for a refund only to be told due to H and S I couldn't receive a refund. WTH were do you go with this, £170 item has to be kept because of H and S.
    Have I got any rights on this?
    Originally posted by DJ1418
    It depends, if they are faulty then yes you are entitled to reject them for a refund within the first 30 days.

If however they are not faulty, just not as good as you were expecting then no you are not entitled to a refund, itís less to do with health and safety and more to do with having no automatic right to a change of mind return. They do allow change of mind returns but not on opened items and while they may bend the rules for some resealable items, they cannot sell used headphones to another customer.

In future, do research and read reviews on products before buying them.
    • DJ1418
    • By DJ1418 7th Jan 18, 12:29 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    DJ1418
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:29 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:29 PM
    I do research and read reviews but have never read any review warning you not to try stuff as their health and safety policies mean you wont get a refund if your not satisfied with the product.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 7th Jan 18, 12:38 PM
    • 3,285 Posts
    • 9,090 Thanks
    LilElvis
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:38 PM
    I do research and read reviews but have never read any review warning you not to try stuff as their health and safety policies mean you wont get a refund if your not satisfied with the product.
    You don't read reviews to find that information, you look at the seller's returns policy.

It's to do with hygiene, not safety, and also applies to items such as mattresses, duvets and cosmetics.

Sorry, but if they aren't faulty then this will be an expensive learning curve for you.
    • bris
    • By bris 7th Jan 18, 12:38 PM
    • 7,202 Posts
    • 6,221 Thanks
    bris
    So why didn't you know these were rubbish before you bought them?
    • DJ1418
    • By DJ1418 7th Jan 18, 1:38 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    DJ1418
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:38 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:38 PM
    Its fine, as a poster above states "an expensive learning curve". It does seem as if Consumer rights seems to be diminishing further and further though with OTT policies on Hygiene.
    Have to laugh though, when the Manager tested them to see if they were faulty he came back and said they were fine but he hadn't inserted the battery in them.
    My word against his I suppose.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 7th Jan 18, 1:46 PM
    • 765 Posts
    • 1,359 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:46 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:46 PM
    Its fine, as a poster above states "an expensive learning curve". It does seem as if Consumer rights seems to be diminishing further and further though with OTT policies on Hygiene.
    Have to laugh though, when the Manager tested them to see if they were faulty he came back and said they were fine but he hadn't inserted the battery in them.
    Would you be happy to buy a pair of new headphones that had been used by someone else?
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 7th Jan 18, 2:27 PM
    • 3,285 Posts
    • 9,090 Thanks
    LilElvis
    • 7th Jan 18, 2:27 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 2:27 PM
    You're missing the point. Consumer rights in this area haven't diminished - they haven't changed. For in-store purchases there is no right to return, either used or unused, if you are doing so because you have had a change of mind. That many retailers allow returns of the majority of products in this situation is to their credit. If you have even an inkling that an item might not be suitable then the time to check is at the till before you purchase.
    • DJ1418
    • By DJ1418 7th Jan 18, 5:55 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    DJ1418
    • 7th Jan 18, 5:55 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 5:55 PM
    Would you be happy to buy a pair of new headphones that had been used by someone else?
    Originally posted by BorisThomson
    OK, so you've never put a pair of headphones on in a shop to see how they fit , how they feel, headphones that have been tried on by hundreds maybe thousands of people?
    As I said OTT.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 7th Jan 18, 6:01 PM
    • 902 Posts
    • 660 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    OK, so you've never put a pair of headphones on in a shop to see how they fit , how they feel, headphones that have been tried on by hundreds maybe thousands of people?
    As I said OTT.
    And those are the very ones you should have tried before parting with your hard earned.
    • DJ1418
    • By DJ1418 7th Jan 18, 6:05 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    DJ1418
    And those are the very ones you should have tried before parting with your hard earned.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    Think you're missing the point.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 7th Jan 18, 6:19 PM
    • 3,285 Posts
    • 9,090 Thanks
    LilElvis
    So you would be happy to buy earphones, get them home, open the box ..... and find they've got someone else's earwax all over them?

Or buy a pillow someone has drooled on?

Or knickers someone has tried on?

Or cosmetics someone has stuck their dirty fingers in?

I somehow doubt it. And I doubt anyone would be happy to be sold any of these items as new and then found that someone had tried them out and changed their mind.
    • DJ1418
    • By DJ1418 7th Jan 18, 6:24 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    DJ1418
    So you would be happy to buy earphones, get them home, open the box ..... and find they've got someone else's earwax all over them?

Or buy a pillow someone has drooled on?

Or knickers someone has tried on?

Or cosmetics someone has stuck their dirty fingers in?

I somehow doubt it. And I doubt anyone would be happy to be sold any of these items as new and then found that someone had tried them out and changed their mind.
    Originally posted by LilElvis
    You're definitely missing the point.
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 7th Jan 18, 6:28 PM
    • 3,551 Posts
    • 6,104 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    You are the one missing the point
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 7th Jan 18, 6:30 PM
    • 902 Posts
    • 660 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Iíve got it now, youíd be happy from then to sell you the demo earphones for full price.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 7th Jan 18, 7:25 PM
    • 9,679 Posts
    • 10,871 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    There's a big difference between missing the point someone is trying to make and not actually agreeing with that point and at the moment, people that have responded simply don't agree with your point.

The fact is that Currys are under no legal obligation to refund you unless the headphones are faulty and their refund policy for unwanted/unsuitable items is clearly shown on their website and in store and this returns policy goes beyond what they are legally required to do.
    https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/returns-cancellations-1043-theme.html

An unwanted product can be returned for a full refund within 21 days of delivery as long as itís still in its original, unopened packaging. This returns policy for unopened goods is in addition to your statutory rights and applies to purchases made in store, online or over the phone.
    Just because you don't like the sound or the quality isn't good enough is not enough of a reason for a refund.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 7th Jan 18, 7:31 PM
    • 3,774 Posts
    • 3,817 Thanks
    DoaM
    Exactly HOW did you buy them?

In store?
    Online but paid in store on collection?
    Online and paid online but collected in store?
    Online and delivered to your home?

(The answer will determine whether you have any other options).
    Last edited by DoaM; 07-01-2018 at 10:18 PM. Reason: buy not but
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • harrys dad
    • By harrys dad 7th Jan 18, 8:59 PM
    • 1,857 Posts
    • 2,110 Thanks
    harrys dad
    I went into Currys a few months ago to buy a new headset (phones and mike). they had two, both in sealed containers. I asked if I could try them and was told no. I made a note of the model name and number, went home and read reviews, then bought elsewhere anyway.
    • DJ1418
    • By DJ1418 7th Jan 18, 11:23 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    DJ1418
    The point is it's Curry's or any or any big store that's competing with online giants like Amazon.
    Their customer service is !!!!!, I have ordered tons of stuff online and never had an issue returning stuff, most of the big supermarkets I have returned items too, never had an issue.

The headphones I bought I tried on once, bought them Fri took back today. How the hell can that be a hygiene issue? as I stated OTT.

And as for people quoting completely different products its clearly stated by the checkout assistant when paying for these products about the hygiene issue and returns policy, it wasn't made clear in Curry's.

Clearly I have no rights in this instance, it was at the managers discretion whether I got a refund or not, morale of the story never buy from stores buy online.

Cheers
    • George Michael
    • By George Michael 8th Jan 18, 2:15 AM
    • 2,922 Posts
    • 3,947 Thanks
    George Michael
    And as for people quoting completely different products its clearly stated by the checkout assistant when paying for these products about the hygiene issue and returns policy, it wasn't made clear in Curry's.
    It doesn't have to be made clear.
    The default legal position for customers when buying face to face in any store is that returns for unwanted, unneeded or unsuitable goods don't have to allowed unless that return is under the stores own returns policy if they have one.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,166Posts Today

9,526Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin