Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Halifax22
    • By Halifax22 7th Jan 18, 11:11 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Halifax22
    Parents house and capital gains tax
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:11 AM
    Parents house and capital gains tax 7th Jan 18 at 11:11 AM
    Hi,

Our married elderly parents are purchasing a bungalow as their main residence near to our home as their health is not fab. It is a cash purchase. Their current home is on the market but the purchase of the new and sale of their old home is not part of a “chain” if that makes sense.

As they may possibly find themselves for a very short time with two properties in their name (they will not be renting it out or anything) is there any way we can reduce or avoid CGT when their current home sells?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Carl.
Page 1
    • Pennywise
    • By Pennywise 7th Jan 18, 11:21 AM
    • 9,640 Posts
    • 17,743 Thanks
    Pennywise
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:21 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:21 AM
    There's an 18 month "grace" period when selling your home and buying another, during which you can have 2 "homes", so no CGT as long as the overlap is under 18 months.
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 7th Jan 18, 12:51 PM
    • 15,360 Posts
    • 21,906 Thanks
    antrobus
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:51 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:51 PM
    And, of course, any gain would be time apportioned between the periods over which it was (a) their main residence, and (b) it wasn't.

Depending on how long they have actually lived in the property, the amount apportioned to (b) might be very small. And there is a CGT allowance of £11,300.

I would not worry about it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

561Posts Today

5,067Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Always fun to speak to @ChrisEvans on radio - at the speed we both go - we could do an hours's show in 15minutes.

• RT @benpostma: After watching @MartinSLewis I took my faulty trainers back to where I bought them from, with no receipt just a screen shot?

• RT @Louloubell1980: @MartinSLewis My little 3yr old and his Auntie on Christmas Eve....4 days after she donated her Kidney to him x https:/?

• Follow Martin