Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TobyLarone
    • By TobyLarone 7th Jan 18, 10:54 AM
    • 54Posts
    • 6Thanks
    TobyLarone
    Part time job as EA?
    • 7th Jan 18, 10:54 AM
    Part time job as EA? 7th Jan 18 at 10:54 AM
    Hi All,

Hopefully this is the best place to post this...I assume there are some Estate Agents are reading this forum.

I've always fancied a job as an estate agent, but the job i'm in now (IT Consultant) pays fairly well so wouldn't be prepared to make the jump and do it full time as I imagine it would take several years to get to the salary I'm earning now. I just want to get a taste for it and I think I'd enjoy it.

What I would love to do is approach EAs offering myself on a casual basis to show prospective tenants around houses on Saturdays only. Emphasis on casual since I want to have a life and not work 6 days a week but work both ways as I wouldn't expect work each and every week.

My question is, would this kind of arrangement be worth proposing to EAs or would I get 'laughed' out of the door? I can see it would be beneficial for them as they would only pay for the time they are short staffed (holiday cover, sickness, mat/paternity leave etc). How would I go about it?

Thank you!
    Last edited by TobyLarone; 07-01-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Page 1
    • googler
    • By googler 7th Jan 18, 11:24 AM
    • 14,537 Posts
    • 9,402 Thanks
    googler
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:24 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:24 AM
    Funnily enough, one of my locals has been offering exactly this recently, but for selling work, not letting. Not weekends only, though. A 22 hour week including weekends.

How do you suggest to your locals that you could do this? Contact them.

Do you have your own car? They'll probably expect you to (the advert I saw above did). Is your car insured for proper business use? It will need to be. Will the pay scale adequately cover the extra running costs of your car? If not, all you'll get will be work experience.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 7th Jan 18, 11:28 AM
    • 24,212 Posts
    • 67,012 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:28 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:28 AM
    Many of the agents in my area have exactly those jobs. Saturday is the busiest day.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 7th Jan 18, 11:29 AM
    • 6,503 Posts
    • 6,398 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:29 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:29 AM
    Generally the people I've met showing properties appear to be exclusively doing that, not negotiators etc from the office. So I would expect suitable positions to exist.
    • TobyLarone
    • By TobyLarone 7th Jan 18, 11:30 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    TobyLarone
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:30 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:30 AM
    Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes car is insured for business.

Letting didn't actually cross my mind, was only considering selling but either would be fine.

What I was thinking is I could offer myself to get paid per viewing rather than an hourly rate. I guess the smaller independent agents would be more flexible than chains. But how much per viewing? I'd want to make myself as attractive to agents as possible with no expectations of regular work.
    • TobyLarone
    • By TobyLarone 7th Jan 18, 11:31 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    TobyLarone
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:31 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:31 AM
    Generally the people I've met showing properties appear to be exclusively doing that, not negotiators etc from the office. So I would expect suitable positions to exist.
    Originally posted by davidmcn
    Great, hopefully I'll find something then! Thanks
    • G_M
    • By G_M 7th Jan 18, 1:00 PM
    • 42,733 Posts
    • 49,941 Thanks
    G_M
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:00 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:00 PM
    Great!

Another totally unqualified amateur unable to answer the simplest of questions accurately.

Just what the sector needs......
    • TobyLarone
    • By TobyLarone 7th Jan 18, 1:11 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    TobyLarone
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:11 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:11 PM
    Everyone has to start somewhere, right?
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 7th Jan 18, 1:31 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    HampshireH
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:31 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:31 PM
    Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes car is insured for business.

Letting didn't actually cross my mind, was only considering selling but either would be fine.

What I was thinking is I could offer myself to get paid per viewing rather than an hourly rate. I guess the smaller independent agents would be more flexible than chains. But how much per viewing? I'd want to make myself as attractive to agents as possible with no expectations of regular work.
    Originally posted by TobyLarone
    I think if you were to seek part time employment via an EA then they would dicatate the rate they pay you. They would also need some kind of structure in place prior to taking some one on, on a pay per viewing basis as it would cause a nightmare for their payroll team if you were a special case.

Additionally they would need to consider data protection and all their legal requirements and you would be taxed on your 2nd job so you would need to consider whether financially it would be worthwhile or whether you were soley seeking work experience.

If the latter then they may questions your commitment and require a set number of viewings/hours per week to make the admin costs etc of having you worthwhile for them
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 7th Jan 18, 1:33 PM
    • 6,503 Posts
    • 6,398 Thanks
    davidmcn
    Letting didn't actually cross my mind
    Well, it was you who said "prospective tenants"...
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 7th Jan 18, 1:38 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 497 Thanks
    Margot123
    In my hunt for a house, I came across several Purple Bricks part-timers who were doing exactly what you are proposing. Maybe take a look at them rather than a high street EA.
    • freeisgood
    • By freeisgood 7th Jan 18, 1:39 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 776 Thanks
    freeisgood
    The jobs i've seen for Estate agent saturday work (showing properties to tenants and buyers) are only around minimum wage.
    • googler
    • By googler 7th Jan 18, 1:54 PM
    • 14,537 Posts
    • 9,402 Thanks
    googler

Well, you did say "offering myself on a casual basis to show prospective tenants around houses on Saturdays only."

Somewhere between "how much you want" and "how much the agent is willing to pay"

Unless you want to do it as unpaid work experience, you need to cover your costs as well as getting something for your efforts. By the time you factor in running costs for the car, suitable business clothing, and petrol costs to get between your home, agents' offices (to pick up/drop off keys), and to/from properties, how much would you want or need on top of that?

You and they also need to consider security/insurance for keys. If you're viewing at weekends, would you take the keys home over Sunday night and keep them till next Saturday, when you're next at the office? If you dropped them back at the office on Saturday, then, depending on where you and the properties are in relation to the office, you could be doing loads of miles back and forth... all of which eats into your pay.
    • TobyLarone
    • By TobyLarone 7th Jan 18, 2:11 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    TobyLarone
    Good spot, not sure why I used that term!
    • googler
    • By googler 7th Jan 18, 3:03 PM
    • 14,537 Posts
    • 9,402 Thanks
    googler
    You also need to look at it from the EA's point of view. If they take you on as an employee, then they need to consider PAYE, taxation, NI, and Pension Contributions for you. They might take the view "Why should we bother with all this, just for a few hours of work at weekends?"

If they hire you as an independent contractor, all this disappears, and you then need to handle it yourself, as a self-employed sole trader, or by setting up a limited company. This takes up your time and money, and it's debatable whether it's worth it for weekend work.
    • TobyLarone
    • By TobyLarone 7th Jan 18, 3:20 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    TobyLarone
    Thanks, good points. I'll just have to see what they say I guess. We are in the process of moving house at the moment so will be getting a lot of exposure to EAs over the coming months so will bring it up in conversation and guage it from there. it's likely to push me into higher tax bracket too so might not be worth it but as I mentioned in my first post it would be something I'd enjoy in think (to the point I've actually considered it as a new career)

Thank you
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 7th Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    • 10,170 Posts
    • 8,261 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    (to the point I've actually considered it as a new career)
    So you fancy a step (or should that be flight?) down from IT consultant.

Have a read of this thread

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5768947
    Last edited by lincroft1710; 07-01-2018 at 3:50 PM.
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 7th Jan 18, 3:52 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 497 Thanks
    Margot123
    There might be some part time jobs available here: http://https://www.indeed.co.uk/Purplebricks-jobs
    • Gwendo40
    • By Gwendo40 7th Jan 18, 4:03 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Gwendo40
    You must be a very poorly paid IT consultant if you consider doing a Saturday job for an estate agent as a form of career progression
    • googler
    • By googler 7th Jan 18, 4:11 PM
    • 14,537 Posts
    • 9,402 Thanks
    googler
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    Especially post #20 therein.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

526Posts Today

4,509Users online

Martin's Twitter