Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• robgoode
    • By robgoode 7th Jan 18, 9:27 AM
    • 46Posts
    • 32Thanks
    New Build - Extras
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:27 AM
    New Build - Extras 7th Jan 18 at 9:27 AM
    We are currently looking through the extras sheets for our new build. The developer is Gleeson Homes and so far its been problem free.

In regards to the extras most of the ones we are looking at possibly getting are electrical work. The prices for what we are looking at are:

1 x additional double socket - £70
    1 x power to attached garage - inc. 1 light point, 1 switch and 1 double weather resistant socket. - £240
    1 x Omit cupboard to accommodate dishwasher - inc plumbing and power point - £124

We would have chosen other options such as external light at £140, extra double sockets at £70, external rear power point at £140, external tap for £130 but having worked for B&Q in the past I know the prices for some of these items are a lot cheaper and fitting wouldn't cost the amount Gleeson are after.

My question is have people in similar situations went with the options from the developer or done a bulk job with an electrical to do most of this work after you have moved in?

If so where would be the best place to find a good tradesmen or business that won't charge a fortune? I'm based in the north east of England. Not sure if I would be able to get a price right now with the house only being half built atm.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Page 1
    • da_rule
    • By da_rule 7th Jan 18, 9:35 AM
    • 2,548 Posts
    • 2,258 Thanks
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:35 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:35 AM
    Those prices are what I paid when I bought a new build.

I figured it would be easier for the developers to pull all the cabling through before they plasterboarded the walls than having an electrician try and spur off of things at a later date.

By the time you!!!8217;ve paid an electrician to do the work after completion you!!!8217;re probably looking at more cost.
    • tlc678910
    • By tlc678910 7th Jan 18, 10:35 AM
    • 509 Posts
    • 890 Thanks
    • 7th Jan 18, 10:35 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 10:35 AM
    An external tap usually comes from the pipes behind your kitchen sink. Surely it will be a lot more difficult and expensive to fit when the kitchen and sink are in place?
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 7th Jan 18, 10:54 AM
    • 716 Posts
    • 768 Thanks
    • 7th Jan 18, 10:54 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 10:54 AM
    At what stage is the house buld at the moment?

If still at or before first fix then those prices are extortionate. The true cost of an extra socket is more like £10 if done at first fix with the rest.

If the house is finished, then it's probably a fair price including all making good.
    • scottishblondie
    • By scottishblondie 7th Jan 18, 11:14 AM
    • 1,996 Posts
    • 1,276 Thanks
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:14 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:14 AM
    Anything that involves running cables or pipes I paid for the developer to do. Yes, the prices are much higher than the actual cost to them, but as already mentioned it is a pain to do once the house is fully finished. Unless you!!!8217;re talking about putting additional sockets right next to the existing ones, it will either result in surface mounted cables or having to make good the walls. The prices you!!!8217;ve been quoted are more or less comparable to what I paid for extra sockets.
    • robgoode
    • By robgoode 7th Jan 18, 2:30 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    • 7th Jan 18, 2:30 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 2:30 PM
    Thanks guys for all the replies.

We have an appointment booked for end of the month to finalise our options. Going to review our choices before hand and see what makes more sense to get done now and whats best to do later date.

The house is at stage 7 which is upper floor being built and roof goes on mid February I believe. Options have to be in and paid for before this is done.
    • richardson975
    • By richardson975 8th Jan 18, 9:56 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:56 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:56 PM

Although I'm not at your stage, there is a development (a 2nd) starting near me which I am interested in. They have been preparing the land since October but not sign of building anything yet.
    Does anyone know how long a build takes with Gleeson?
    Also regarding Gleesons, I cannot seem to find anything on line with what is included or more importantly, what isn't included i.e carpets, light fittings, bathroom tiling, kitchen d!cor and anything else you can thing of?

If anyone can shed any light on this that would be great. I remember when my mum bought a Barratt new build in 1994, I'm sure they has everything i.e carpets etc but for a better quality one you would pay extra so not sure if this is how Gleesons work. Don't really want to be looking at a fortune on top of the house price to then have to pay before even moving in, ideally!

Many Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

244Posts Today

1,981Users online

Martin's Twitter