Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pinklady14
    • By pinklady14 7th Jan 18, 9:19 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    pinklady14
    Old NWS Bank PPI claim
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:19 AM
    Old NWS Bank PPI claim 7th Jan 18 at 9:19 AM
    I took out a £4000 loan with NWS Bank in 1994 - loan ran for 4 years. I was told at the time that taking out PPI was a condition of the loan. NWS were taken over by Capital Bank in 1998 and now they are no longer trading but after a bit of digging, I found they are now under the Bank of Scotland umbrella. So, although I no longer have the documentation for this loan, I contacted Bank of Scotland, filled in a detailed PPI questionnaire etc. Anyway, they came back to me last week saying that they do not have any evidence of the loan. Do you think it is worth pursuing it through the Ombudsman or would going through a claims company possibly have more success?
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 7th Jan 18, 9:39 AM
    • 14,802 Posts
    • 15,641 Thanks
    zx81
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:39 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:39 AM
    If neither you nor the lender have records of the loan, the Ombudsman and claims companies certainly won't.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 7th Jan 18, 12:20 PM
    • 7,309 Posts
    • 5,363 Thanks
    -taff
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:20 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:20 PM
    Forget it. They are not like to have any information from 23 years ago and neither the FOS nor any CMC can' magic up infomation that no longer exists.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 7th Jan 18, 12:56 PM
    • 90,294 Posts
    • 57,070 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:56 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:56 PM
    Do you think it is worth pursuing it through the Ombudsman
    The FOS is an independent arbiter of complaints. It does not hold records of transactions. It cannot magic up items that no longer exist.

or would going through a claims company possibly have more success?
    A CMC is for people who have difficulty putting their complaint letter/form in an envelope and sending it to the bank. It does not hold any data on your borrowing or insurance details. Neither of which are in the public domain.

It no records exist then its game over.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Gig1968
    • By Gig1968 7th Jan 18, 1:09 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gig1968
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:09 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:09 PM
    I have had dealings with Bank of Scotland from 4 old loans from nws and capital bank.
    Some were relating to the early 1990s. They do hold records. I found an old loan agreement from 1997. I knew I also had other loans that I had taken out later with them but I didn't have paperwork for these. I contacted them about the first loan I had, filled out the ppi form. Four weeks later had. A letter detailing the other loans. Single premium ppi was included in each loan and this was all refunded totalling in many thousands of pounds.
    I'm sure they do have your information otherwise they would never have found my other loan details.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 7th Jan 18, 1:59 PM
    • 7,309 Posts
    • 5,363 Thanks
    -taff
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:59 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:59 PM
    As the OP has already said, he did fill ina detailed form, and they found no records.
    Just because they had yours, it does not logically follow they have everyones.
    • pinklady14
    • By pinklady14 7th Jan 18, 3:02 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pinklady14
    • 7th Jan 18, 3:02 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 3:02 PM
    Many thanks for your replies. I think I will have to forget this unfortunately, as although I KNOW I had PPI on this loan, I am unable to prove it due to lack of paperwork and they insist that they have no records.
    • sun73
    • By sun73 7th Jan 18, 7:12 PM
    • 369 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    sun73
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:12 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:12 PM
    Sometimes doing a Subject Access Request to the lender produces evidence of older accounts. If you decide to send one to BOS, supply your address with postcode at the time of the loan, full name, DOB, and any previous names.

If you could obtain a bank statement showing the loan being paid by direct debit it might reveal the account number, however, it will be difficult to progress without a valid reference number.

I had two older loans with evidence of payment and ppi but no account number for either, so not even FOS can help.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,081Posts Today

8,948Users online

Martin's Twitter