Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 7th Jan 18, 6:14 AM
    • 324Posts
    • 4,278Thanks
    O/S daily Sunday 7th January 2018
    • 7th Jan 18, 6:14 AM
    O/S daily Sunday 7th January 2018 7th Jan 18 at 6:14 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
Page 1
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 7th Jan 18, 6:23 AM
    • 324 Posts
    • 4,278 Thanks
    • 7th Jan 18, 6:23 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 6:23 AM
    Good morning all

Been awake since silly o'clock again

Still dark but can hear what sounds like a gale force wind.

Will stay in the warm today, should really do some jobs around the house but it will probably be a quick tidy.

Nothing much to say

Hope you all have a good day
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 7th Jan 18, 6:52 AM
    • 3,877 Posts
    • 25,608 Thanks
    • 7th Jan 18, 6:52 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 6:52 AM
    Morning folks and thanks SILVER-OLDIE. No wind here but there is a severe frost. Sun is forecast but even so max temp will only be 3 deg! Still that's better than the USA are getting!

Still coughing and choking here (I know, you are sick of hearing me!) but I actually slept better so dare I think the cough is easing?

Apart from a quick dip into Sainsbobs last Sunday for milk and bread I still haven't done a shop since before Xmas. Thank goodness for well stocked freezers and cupboards. Though they are looking rather depleted and I am hoping by the end of the week I will feel fit enough to do a big shop in Aldi and start building stocks back up. Meanwhile this morning it will be another quick dip into Sainsbobs for bare essentials only. Don't need much but I will need a trolley to prop myself up with, I feel so weak and weary.

My meal plan yesterday went to pot as the extreme lack of energy swept over me again and I just wanted to collapse in a heap. The thawing meat went in the fridge and hopefully it will be summer in winter in chicken for late lunch and the lean braising steaks will go in the slow cooker overnight tonight.

Have a good day folks if you can and ((HUGS)) for all who want/need them. Especially all our poorlies, carers, sad or worried. Take care and keep warm xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 7th Jan 18, 7:16 AM
    • 2,998 Posts
    • 41,156 Thanks
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:16 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:16 AM
    Morning everyone

silveroldie - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Now light, dry but chilly here.

DH and myself been up a while, been enjoying peaceful cuppas and some catch up tv.

Dinner last night was breaded chicken portions, pizza, skinny chips and salad, an easy meal after getting back from the hospital. Remembered to get the beef out to defrost overnight, so we're having that with the trimmings.

Hospital visit was good, best she's been to date, although still a way to go and by the time we left she was getting tired so was going to have a sleep. I'm not going to visit today to let others who can't go in the week to go.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 7th Jan 18, 7:38 AM
    • 2,739 Posts
    • 29,287 Thanks
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:38 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:38 AM
    Good morning all,

I've had a few days of sitting on my backside with nothing much to report. All washing and ironing done etc, and I'm not cleaning the house any more until the HT is back at school. We had friends round for a pizza and games night on Friday as we finally felt a bit better after this virus so I was tired yesterday. It's very frosty outside this morning, so I can't see me being seized by the need to go outside any time soon....

Last night I soaked my sore leg in a bucket of salt water as advised by the nurse to do once a week and the last bit of stuff that was stopping it from healing looked a bit loose so...... Armed with surgical tweezers provided by the late MrCranky a long time ago (no idea why, they just turned up one day) and some sharp scissors I "fixed" it. The way is clear for it just to heal now which shouldn't take long hopefully.

The HT and I are going to depart from our usual Sunday roast today and we're going to make chilli, wedges and cheesy nachos. That should be fun.

nmlc it's good to see that the news about your mum remains positive.
    TA I hope you start feeling better soon

Take care all of you
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 7th Jan 18, 7:40 AM
    • 1,357 Posts
    • 13,095 Thanks
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:40 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:40 AM
    Morning everyone

Thanks for starting us off silver-oldie

I hope that Lulu enjoys her new stable Lainey.
    TA I!!!8217;m glad that you are feeling a bit better and hope that you continue to get better.
    Nmlc I hope that your mum continues to improve.

Having spent most of yesterday on the sofa, I think today will be a repeat of that. I certainly have no intention of doing any housework and will just eat simple to prepare foods.

So there are no plans for today other than watching a bit of tv and dozing. I!!!8217;m hoping that plenty of rest will help get rid of this virus more quickly.

Hugs to all of you that are unwell.

Have a good day everyone whatever you are doing.
    • dp1
    • By dp1 7th Jan 18, 7:53 AM
    • 245 Posts
    • 1,882 Thanks
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:53 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:53 AM
    Morning everyone
    Had a nice lazy start to the day with my breakfast and laptop in bed. Both cats are on my bed with me in a huff as I've put their blankets in to wash.
    Will be going down to sit with my dad about half 9 so my mam can go to church and then planning a lazy afternoon with my paper and book.
    Tomorrow is my last day off work...and I have a treat. I'm going to London for the day to see the Harry Potter and the history of magic exhibition at the British Library....really looking forward to it. It takes 3hours 40 minutes by train, but I've got first class tickets as they weren't much more expensive than standard, so I'm looking forward to food and drinks on the train. I'll have my book and Ipad for company. I get to London at lunchtime so I'm planning to walk to the British Museum first as I haven't been there for years and then my booking at the exhibition is at 3pm.It is a long way to go for the day, but it'll be a nice change before I'm back to work and the usual routine....well as long as there are no problems with the trains....fingers crossed!
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 7th Jan 18, 7:55 AM
    • 19,044 Posts
    • 85,871 Thanks
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:55 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:55 AM
    Morning all

Going to be a nice easy day, today. I have taken some previously frozen meals out of the freezer, so no cooking, which is a bonus. Will need to fry up some beef mince for the dogs, as the use by date is today, but that won't take long.

I have nearly finished a commission piece I have been working on, so will get that done as I can collect payment then and every bit helps

Other than that, a bit of reading, and we might watch an Agatha Christie DVD once eldest has finished work. We've seen this one before but, the version I've just bought, stars Angela Lansbury as Miss Marple and that doesn't seem right, somehow
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 7th Jan 18, 7:56 AM
    • 227 Posts
    • 2,886 Thanks
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:56 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 7:56 AM
    Morning all,sunny here, but cold - outside thermometer reports 0 degrees.

Went out for afternoon tea yesterday it was lovely. Those of us who had been to afternoon teas before, in other places said it was a much more substantial meal - decent size sandwiches, and slices of cake.

The place was packed all the time we were there, and people were waiting to be seated as we were leaving, so that's a good sign I think.

Called at youngest Ds's on way home and Mr SR helped out with some diy, then we came home

Usual evening, quiet, glass of wine, tv and books.

Healing thoughts to the poorly people, and the worried,
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 7th Jan 18, 8:06 AM
    • 1,928 Posts
    • 19,356 Thanks
    dp1 - I'm sure you know this but the British Museum and British Library aren't near one another. I'd hate for you to walk to the museum and then realise you haven't got time to get to the library for your exhibition.

I want to go to that too.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 7th Jan 18, 8:21 AM
    • 6,204 Posts
    • 38,603 Thanks
    Morning everyone.

It’s -2 here with a deep frost with a forecast of not much better. No snow and no wind though.

As I settled down to watch ‘The Letter’ yesterday afternoon an elderly friend called round so I set the TV to record. One cup of tea and a longish blather later I resettled to watch the film. Five minutes later the husband of the elderly friend turned up so we had a wee dram and a longish chat. He stood in front of the woodburner to get warm. Eventually, about two hours later I got to watch the film, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

When I turned on my laptop there was a message about updating Windows 10 so I checked it was ‘kosher’ and started it. Four hours later it was still chugging away - the perils of very slow rural broadband speeds. I took the laptop upstairs with me when I went to bed and it finally finished updating near to midnight.

As I cooked a few things yesterday I’m not doing anything today except heat something up. My new mattress is coming at some point tomorrow before 2pm so I’ll clear the bedside tables. I was given a lovely duvet set for Christmas so I’ll use that tomorrow.

For all those who are struggling with ongoing flu / heavy colds please keep taking in fluids, it really helps. And there’s no need to feel guilty about lying on the sofa all day, that really helps too. Bodies need rest to recover, there’s a war going on inside you, big bad germs against the good red blood cells and those cells need all your help.

Happy Sunday to all.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 7th Jan 18, 8:26 AM
    • 3,478 Posts
    • 42,700 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Morning all
    Thanks for the thread silver oldie, hugs to all those in need.
    Bright and sunny here but it's not meant to last, I'll go and get the coal in whilst it's still dry.
    No plans for today apart from housework, crochet and cooking.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 7th Jan 18, 8:39 AM
    • 1,964 Posts
    • 23,997 Thanks
    Morning everyone,

Cold, bright but bbrr cold here with a heavy frost.

Home now after sorting out the lovely girlie, slowly defrosting with coffee and bacon butties with the radio on awaiting the Archers omnibus, then I will do nothing more strenuous than sit on the sofa and read my book until it's time to go back to the yard.
    I have some chicken thighs in the fridge so will do something with those for tea once inspiration has hit.
    Enjoy your day out in London dp1 I love a long train journey.
    Get well wishes to all poorlies or those coping with sick loved ones.

Have a good day folks x
    • Judi
    • By Judi 7th Jan 18, 8:39 AM
    • 15,850 Posts
    • 67,759 Thanks
    last night I soaked my sore leg in a bucket of salt water as advised by the nurse to do once a week and the last bit of stuff that was stopping it from healing looked a bit loose so...... Armed with surgical tweezers provided by the late MrCranky a long time ago (no idea why, they just turned up one day) and some sharp scissors I "fixed" it. The way is clear for it just to heal now which shouldn't take long hopefully.
    Reminds me of the spot of diy Grump did on his foot just before Christmas. Hed been complaining for days about a pain in his foot. Couldnt see anything but it felt like something was digging in so against my better judgement he got the stanley knife out and poked and cut. I envisioned him at least having to have his toe amputated but sod me it worked! Never did find anything in it though.

Today we celebrate the birth of 'youngest' and the day I threatened to chop Grumps gonads off manually. Apart from weekends when his Dad spoiled him, ive bought him up practically single handed and a lovely man he has turned into too!

Yesterday was busy and Grump took up most of my attention but he did buy me a new clock for the living room that will take him 6 months to be put up....Not that I can be bought or anything.

Not sure what today will bring....I'll play it by ear.

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • redruby
    • By redruby 7th Jan 18, 9:11 AM
    • 6,610 Posts
    • 91,916 Thanks
    Morning all

Nice sunny day here but very windy and cold, unfortunately I cant get near the wm as the chap is here finishing the grouting off, I might put a load in once he is gone.

Yesterday while in Aldi we bought a spatchcock chicken with garlic and herbs we had it for dinner last night with (the height of laziness) realy made potato gratin and salad it was absolutely delicious and I would buy one again just for the ease of cooking.

Today it is loin of pork with roasties and veg, which we will have early evening.

Once the chap has finished OH will put up the new sockets which have a usb connector on for easier charging I am very excited about this very simple little thing

Will be watching more peaky blinders this afternoon, I have become addicted to it

Have good days all and hugs to all in need xx
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 7th Jan 18, 9:34 AM
    • 12,414 Posts
    • 38,708 Thanks

Frosty here the car would need a good scrape if I had any intention of going anywhere which I don't so hey ho. Before Christmas i bought some windscreen protectors that magnetically clip to your screen and keeps it clear....sounds great but I have learned I need to put them on in order for them to be effective

had a really restless night last night awake loads. Finally got a couple of hours from 7-9 which is a shockingly late get up time for me but still feel shattered.

Had quite a productive day yesterday ...did both freezer inventories which is rapidly becoming my most hated job. I will learn this time and keep it up to date. Dinner last night was a chicken breast with a strange but lovely combination I found in the freezer of forestiere potatoes with spinach and chick peas sounds awful but it really wasn't ...goodness knows where I got that one from Today will likely be a turkey dish after i faced just how much I had in the freezer hitting my books for inspiration.

Today is a lazy sunday but still got bits to do round the house. Sunday brunch first though

Hope everyone has a nice chilled day
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 7th Jan 18, 9:46 AM
    • 3,403 Posts
    • 31,167 Thanks
    Heavy frost which has not cleared off the lawns yet, lovely and sunny, I am sure that OH will report it as very cold when he returns shortly. Met friends at monthly coffee morning yesterday and then spent a couple of hours with mum who lives near there.

Feeling rather ropey this morning, but expect it will pass as soon as my digestive system settles down

Need to go out and replenish the bird food stocks today, they are getting though so much food, but I love to see them. We have a new next door neighbour and saw him for a moment yesterday and advised him that he would often see me looking intently at the boundary we share, sometimes (often) with binoculars, but I was only watching the birds on the many feeders and not spying on him or his house renovations

Hugs and spoons to all those that need them, nmlc good news regarding your mum's progress, Lainey, so pleased that you have found new accommodation for Lulu. I hope that the nasty bugs soon leave everyone, my Osteopath said that they were flooring fit 30 somethings, so it was no surprise that oldies like me were taking a good while to recover.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 7th Jan 18, 10:40 AM
    • 663 Posts
    • 8,836 Thanks
    Morning all
    Sunny but cold here too, and still this blasted freezing wind.
    Bird feeder filled, watched the antics of the squirrels running through the trees and veg prepped this morning. Heard a crack yesterday and one of the trees seems to be at a jaunty angle. No problem if it falls as it's at the end of my garden and away from neighbours, sheds etc. Did put my whirly away just in case, as it's too windy to try to pull it down at the moment, because that would entail a rope and a ladder so we will keep an eye on it.
    Dad is due for lunch, will admit I'm not looking forward to it. I hope it's the "nice " one who arrives. I'm only doing a steak pie with roasties and veg today as I'm all "meated" out and I coudn't face any more meat yet. If that's not to his liking then tough!
    Anyway I'm off for another coffee while my oven heats up for the roast potatoes.
    Cranky eeeeww! Made me shiver at the thought of what you did to your leg, so I'm giving you a gold star for bravery .
    TA hope you feel more like yourself soon.
    NMLC hope your Mum goes from strength to strength.
    HollyH look after yourself, everything else can wait. Hugs.
    Nelski good luck with the freezer, I start with all good intentions and it just goes to pot
    Judi Happy Birthday to youngest
    My hug bucket is full so please help yourselves and hope all the poorlies get well soon.
    Wish me luck
    • karcher
    • By karcher 7th Jan 18, 11:02 AM
    • 1,844 Posts
    • 17,002 Thanks
    Morning all...just

I've finally dispensed with my dressing gown which is the warmest thing I own and replaced it with my Sunday best ie warm jogging bottoms, t shirt and a thick fleece

Nothing at all on the agenda today. I have been so lazy this last week and have done no more than absolutely necessary....this must change next week as I can feel the extra padding round my waist expanding at a rate of knots!

TA I do so feel for you, you have been poorly for so long. I do hope you are beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel, but please continue to listen to your body and just rest x

Dumpling..I hope all is well with you? x
    HH hope you feel better soon and like TA, just rest.

Hugs to all the poorlies and anyone else in need x

Have a good day all whatever you may be doing.

PS Judi I saw you post very early in the Arms (yes I've been up since the early hours too..yet again!!) 'What's irritating you' thread..I do hope all is ok? x
    Last edited by karcher; 07-01-2018 at 11:12 AM.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 7th Jan 18, 11:38 AM
    • 12,414 Posts
    • 38,708 Thanks
    nannywindow......good luck lovey I hope his mood is a good one. Lunch sounds gorgeous btw I love steak pie

Your right about the freezer ...I will try to remember the pain when i'm opting for the lazy option lol

Karcher I keep mine on all day on days at home
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

88Posts Today

1,738Users online

Martin's Twitter