Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sw00sh29
    • By Sw00sh29 7th Jan 18, 1:05 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Sw00sh29
    Mobile Phone Contract
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:05 AM
    Mobile Phone Contract 7th Jan 18 at 1:05 AM
    Hi,

I am currently with EE and spending a lot of money but believe I can get a better deal and need some help. I feel contracts are really expensive at the moment and now find myself considering buying a second hand phone and getting a sim contract. Even if I signed upto a 24 month contract I will be spending at least £40 per month and still have to pay towards an iPhone. Please let me know you ideas or ways around this? I know this may have been discussed before but I am new to this.

Regards.
Page 1
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 7th Jan 18, 8:05 AM
    • 3,051 Posts
    • 1,386 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 7th Jan 18, 8:05 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 8:05 AM
    A SIM-only contract and a separately bought handset is usually cheaper than a long contract for the same handset. But if you mention what contract you have now and what your requirements are, some advice may be forthcoming.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 7th Jan 18, 9:05 AM
    • 1,331 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:05 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 9:05 AM
    There are some excellent SIM only deals and you aren’t stuck with a 2 year deal either. We have always used SIM only and bought the phones outright (iPhones direct from Apple).

None of this “I’m due an upgrade” nonsense either

If going the “12 month” SIM only route, in the case of Three after 12 months the contract then becomes a 30 day rolling contract one at the “12 month” price with no annual price increase either. Other networks may not work the same and most increase prices annually (despite SIM only generally becoming cheaper).

If changing networks check coverage for yourself with a PAYG SIM, DO NOT RELY ON COVERAGE MAPS BY PHONE COMPANIES.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 7th Jan 18, 11:15 AM
    • 7,788 Posts
    • 5,634 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:15 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:15 AM
    Before you go much further, consider the contract you are in now, you have to come to the end of its minimum term before abandoning it.
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 7th Jan 18, 12:04 PM
    • 7,561 Posts
    • 2,386 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:04 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:04 PM
    You must have worked very hard to find sim only contracts costing £40 per month. It's very easy to find very cheap deals on the internet, depending on your bundle requirements.
    • username
    • By username 7th Jan 18, 8:37 PM
    • 430 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    username
    • 7th Jan 18, 8:37 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 8:37 PM
    If going the “12 month” SIM only route, in the case of Three after 12 months the contract then becomes a 30 day rolling contract one at the “12 month” price with no annual price increase either. Other networks may not work the same and most increase prices annually (despite SIM only generally becoming cheaper).
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north
    I can vouch for this, I'm on a 3 sim contract, out of commitment and still paying £9. No RPI increases and the discount which has been applied to the tariff has not fallen off.

Very sneaky of pretty much most of the phone companies to use RPI as a means to hike up the prices, it seemed to be a tactic that began a few years ago and they have written it into their contracts since.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,007Posts Today

10,459Users online

Martin's Twitter