Scared of changing jobs

A little bit of background info, I have worked in admin/secretarial/reception for 25 years. I don't love it but neither do I hate it. I'm happy in the role as long as my day's are busy but im noticing more and more of these roles are disappearing as people use email more so tend to do more work themselves and as firms are looking to save money.

I think that there will be a redundancy situation at work - don't know when but there just isn't even work for everyone. Its making me feel scared because I have no savings, a bit of debt and am scared about if there are still "my" kind of jobs out there. Its ready to say change career but I'm not trained/qualified in anything. Ive only ever changed jobs because I wanted a change, it feels very different if I have to get another job because I'm forced to leave the one I've got. Ive worked my whole life apart from 9 months maternity leave and am terrified of being out of work.

I have been reducing my outgoings and have worked out that the minimum I can exist (and that is exist, not live) on is £650 a month with a bit extra on top for travel to interviews. I estimate that if I was to get made redundant I would receive around £2500/£3000 redundancy plus any holiday pay owed. Its not much.

Im a single parent with no-one who would help me out so the thought of that initial probationary period in a new job and even finding one is daunting. I'm not a risk taker, i like familiarity and comfort!

My gut instinct is to delay looking for a new job until/if I am forced to and in the meantime concentrate HARD on saving an emergency fund and decreasing the debt.

Comments

• Wait to see what happens. x

Only move on when you know there is not going to be anyone at all who can charge in and make this better. When there is absolutely no way back so to speak.

Though Someone writes "If you can be hired and fired with the same good grace, and move purposefully to your next endeavour, you can be strengthened by the experience. Doing one job for x years is admirable. Doing ten jobs for two is a whole lot more fun" (like I say only in times if this needs apply.)
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    A little bit of background info, I have worked in admin/secretarial/reception for 25 years. I don't love it but neither do I hate it. I'm happy in the role as long as my day's are busy but im noticing more and more of these roles are disappearing as people use email more so tend to do more work themselves and as firms are looking to save money.

I think that there will be a redundancy situation at work - don't know when but there just isn't even work for everyone. Its making me feel scared because I have no savings, a bit of debt and am scared about if there are still "my" kind of jobs out there. Its ready to say change career but I'm not trained/qualified in anything. Ive only ever changed jobs because I wanted a change, it feels very different if I have to get another job because I'm forced to leave the one I've got. Ive worked my whole life apart from 9 months maternity leave and am terrified of being out of work.

I have been reducing my outgoings and have worked out that the minimum I can exist (and that is exist, not live) on is £650 a month with a bit extra on top for travel to interviews. I estimate that if I was to get made redundant I would receive around £2500/£3000 redundancy plus any holiday pay owed. Its not much.

Im a single parent with no-one who would help me out so the thought of that initial probationary period in a new job and even finding one is daunting. I'm not a risk taker, i like familiarity and comfort!
    So after all that you say...
    My gut instinct is to delay looking for a new job until/if I am forced to and in the meantime concentrate HARD on saving an emergency fund and decreasing the debt.
    Why can't you do both at the same time? Wouldn't it be better to be in the driving seat rather than a passenger not knowing where you're going?
  • So after all that you say...Why can't you do both at the same time? Wouldn't it be better to be in the driving seat rather than a passenger not knowing where you're going?

That is exactly what is troubling me, it would be nicer to move out of choice. It feels frightening to do it because im forced.
  • Wait to see what happens. x

Only move on when you know there is not going to be anyone at all who can charge in and make this better. When there is absolutely no way back so to speak.

Though Someone writes "If you can be hired and fired with the same good grace, and move purposefully to your next endeavour, you can be strengthened by the experience. Doing one job for x years is admirable. Doing ten jobs for two is a whole lot more fun" (like I say only in times if this needs apply.)

I've just had a look at the figures again and I hadn't worked it out properly (I thought you only got notice pay whoops). I would be entitled to just under £6k plus any holiday pay and pension contributions owed. That would allow me more than six months to find a job if I lived on the minimum amount I can exist on and I'd hope to be in work before then even if it was just something temporary while I looked for something permanent.

I'm going to stay put, save hard, and sign up for job sites so I can see what is out there. Just need to relax now and stop worrying.
  • ERICS_MUM
    ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I've just had a look at the figures again and I hadn't worked it out properly (I thought you only got notice pay whoops). I would be entitled to just under £6k plus any holiday pay and pension contributions owed. That would allow me more than six months to find a job if I lived on the minimum amount I can exist on and I'd hope to be in work before then even if it was just something temporary while I looked for something permanent.

I'm going to stay put, save hard, and sign up for job sites so I can see what is out there. Just need to relax now and stop worrying.

Sounds like a good plan. Good luck. X
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,921
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    https://www.gov.uk/redundant-your-rights

Are you entitled to statutory redundancy or does your company offer enhanced in your handbook?
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684
    First Anniversary
    Forumite

You could also use the time to write one or more CVs and even start working towards additional qualifications.
  • 166million
    166million Posts: 1,233
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    There are lots of admin jobs out there don't worry.
    The robotic uprising is not yet complete.
    Ps I am in the redundancy process at the moment and applying for lots of jobs
    **Debt Free as of 15:55 on Friday 23rd March 2012**And I am staying that way
    377 166million Sealed Pot Challenge 2018 :staradmin No. 90: Emergency fund £637
    My debt free diary http://http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3630099
  • MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hello i-want-to-move. Thank you for posting on my diary. I've subscribed so I can also follow your journey.

What area are you looking for jobs in at the moment?

MT
  • Energize
    Energize Posts: 509 Forumite
    The job centre will normally pay for your travel to interviews.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure