Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 6th Jan 18, 9:20 PM
    • 858Posts
    • 113Thanks
    Jlawson118
    No notification/meeting regarding my probation 19/13 weeks in?
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:20 PM
    No notification/meeting regarding my probation 19/13 weeks in? 6th Jan 18 at 9:20 PM
    I started my current job at the end of August and my contract stated that I'd be on a 13 week probation period.

I spoke to one of my assistant managers around ten weeks into my employment and asked him how well I was doing and if I'm on the right tracks towards passing my probation, and he just told me if I wasn't then I'd know about it (bit of a dig at the main manager who doesn't put up with poor performance whatsoever) but he informed me he's worked there for seven years and still never got told if he'd passed his probation...

So on my 13th week I just happened to see one of my managers above my own and I asked him about it, he basically said "I can't see any reason you'd have failed it" and that him and my own manager might have a meeting and have a few pointers but overall I was in a good position. Which put me at ease really.

This week just gone I'd booked a week's holiday, but would have been my 19th week, and yet I still don't know if I've passed my probation. I've never been in a meeting regarding poor performance or disciplinary or anything like that, can't say I've ever been called into the office. But for all I know, my probation could have been extended without my knowledge.

My mum's boss has told her that I should have been given a new contract to sign, is this true?

I often speak to one of my colleagues about it who started at the exact same time as me but shortly after starting, he ended up on the sick for six weeks with a knee injury, so he isn't sure if his probation will have been extended for those six weeks. But also for my assistant manager to tell me he's never been told, makes me think that the company don't really inform people.

But I'm a bit uneasy, to me it seems as if they could just get rid of me as and when they want..
Page 1
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 6th Jan 18, 9:42 PM
    • 4,430 Posts
    • 4,645 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:42 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:42 PM
    There shouldn't be a new contract to sign, the one you should have been given when you started would remain in place. Does the company have an HR department? If so you could try speaking to them, if not try collaring the senior manager about it.
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 6th Jan 18, 9:46 PM
    • 18,915 Posts
    • 19,266 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:46 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:46 PM
    Firstly, don't worry. Most of the jobs I've had in a long working life have failed to make any record at the end of my probation period.

Secondly, I believe there is a rule somewhere that says you are deemed to have passed your probation if you are not told you have failed it.

Thirdly, less positive news - probation doesn't really mean anything. The important date is your 2nd anniversary, when you gain full employment rights. Before then, your employer can still dismiss you on a whim as long as they don't breach any discrimination laws.

I know some employers have more generous terms after probation - access to sick leave? To the pension? (You have a legal right to this after 3 months anyway,) To taking leave? These bits vary from employer to employer. But it is fairly common for no-one to confirm the end of the prob period.

No, there is NO need for a new contract. Your contract is your contract and incorporates your prob period.

Hope this is reassuring.
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 6th Jan 18, 10:15 PM
    • 858 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    Jlawson118
    • 6th Jan 18, 10:15 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 10:15 PM
    Firstly, don't worry. Most of the jobs I've had in a long working life have failed to make any record at the end of my probation period.

Secondly, I believe there is a rule somewhere that says you are deemed to have passed your probation if you are not told you have failed it.

Thirdly, less positive news - probation doesn't really mean anything. The important date is your 2nd anniversary, when you gain full employment rights. Before then, your employer can still dismiss you on a whim as long as they don't breach any discrimination laws.

I know some employers have more generous terms after probation - access to sick leave? To the pension? (You have a legal right to this after 3 months anyway,) To taking leave? These bits vary from employer to employer. But it is fairly common for no-one to confirm the end of the prob period.

No, there is NO need for a new contract. Your contract is your contract and incorporates your prob period.

Hope this is reassuring.
    Originally posted by jobbingmusician
    Yep, that reassures me I just remember the old place I used to work, I had weekly probation meetings with them and they explained to me that if I pass then I'd sign a new contract, which got me wondering. I failed that probation and lost the job anyway. All down to injuring myself on the job..

I've read before that the two years is important though, and I have also gained access to the pension plan so I'm guessing everything is still going okay
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

995Posts Today

8,037Users online

Martin's Twitter