Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Litchielou
    • By Litchielou 6th Jan 18, 8:46 PM
    • 133Posts
    • 625Thanks
    Litchielou
    Can I get bennifits
    • 6th Jan 18, 8:46 PM
    Can I get bennifits 6th Jan 18 at 8:46 PM
    My husband retired in march 2017 and at the same time I gave up my job of 15 hours a week.
    Can I claim job seekers allowance or other bennifits. I have a half share of a house value approx £35000 and £27000 in savings. I realise now I have no state pension for another 8 years.
    I am a kept woman in effect. When I was younger I stayed at home and looked after the children and cared for the parents from both sides.
Page 1
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 6th Jan 18, 8:54 PM
    • 1,544 Posts
    • 936 Thanks
    Sncjw
    • 6th Jan 18, 8:54 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 8:54 PM
    Very much doubt it with savings that high
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 6th Jan 18, 8:57 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 1,328 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 6th Jan 18, 8:57 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 8:57 PM
    Are kept women not able to work?
    • Litchielou
    • By Litchielou 6th Jan 18, 8:59 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 625 Thanks
    Litchielou
    • 6th Jan 18, 8:59 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 8:59 PM
    No, I have always been looked after. I have no qualifications just looked after children and parents and in-laws. I'm stupid I know.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 6th Jan 18, 9:15 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 1,328 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:15 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:15 PM
    No, I have always been looked after. I have no qualifications just looked after children and parents and in-laws. I'm stupid I know.
    Originally posted by Litchielou
    I'm sure you're not stupid. Have you thought about care work, or something in retail or catering? What were you doing before, you said you had worked part time?
    • paddedjohn
    • By paddedjohn 6th Jan 18, 9:27 PM
    • 7,089 Posts
    • 7,750 Thanks
    paddedjohn
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:27 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:27 PM
    You worked before for 15 hours so what's stopping you going back to work now?
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
    • Litchielou
    • By Litchielou 6th Jan 18, 9:46 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 625 Thanks
    Litchielou
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:46 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:46 PM
    I'm 57 no qualifications I've applied for a few care jobs no luck yet, I'm frightened that I have no savings
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 6th Jan 18, 9:49 PM
    • 35,793 Posts
    • 46,084 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:49 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:49 PM
    I'm 57 no qualifications I've applied for a few care jobs no luck yet, I'm frightened that I have no savings
    You said you have £27,000 in savings above.

Keep looking for work, pub, shops, hotels.
    Visit the job centre...
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 6th Jan 18, 9:52 PM
    • 1,707 Posts
    • 5,057 Thanks
    Penitent
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:52 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:52 PM
    You have £27,000 in savings.

Is the half share of a house the one you live in? If so, it wouldn't be included in benefit calculations.

You could sign on to get national insurance credits if you need them for your pension, but you would be expected to live off your savings for the time being and wouldn't receive any payments until your savings were below £16,000.

(D'oh! Forgot about the (potential) 6 months of contribution-based JSA. Thankfully Alice is on the ball, as always. )
    Last edited by Penitent; 06-01-2018 at 9:58 PM.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 6th Jan 18, 9:53 PM
    • 1,686 Posts
    • 1,837 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    If your earnings were above c.£113 pw for the 2015/16 and 2016/17 tax years you may be able to claim Contribution based (New Style) JSA for a maximum of 6 months while you job search.
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-jobseekers-allowance
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/jobseekers-allowance
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 6th Jan 18, 9:54 PM
    • 28,758 Posts
    • 73,400 Thanks
    Mojisola
    M
    I realise now I have no state pension for another 8 years.

I am a kept woman in effect. When I was younger I stayed at home and looked after the children and cared for the parents from both sides.
    Have you asked for a pension forecast?

Did you get the child benefit in your name and so receive NI pension credits?
    • skcollobcat10
    • By skcollobcat10 6th Jan 18, 9:56 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 2,200 Thanks
    skcollobcat10
    You have also in the past sold items on eBa.y couldn't you make it more of a business. In one of your posts you mentioned you could live fine off your husbands final salary pension plus money of £98,000 redundancy. I would get a state pension forecast so you know where you stand.
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 6th Jan 18, 10:09 PM
    • 834 Posts
    • 1,656 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    My husband retired in march 2017 and at the same time I gave up my job of 15 hours a week.
    Can I claim job seekers allowance or other bennifits. I have a half share of a house value approx £35000 and £27000 in savings. I realise now I have no state pension for another 8 years.
    Why did you give up your job if you wanted to have your own money?
    • skcollobcat10
    • By skcollobcat10 6th Jan 18, 10:20 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 2,200 Thanks
    skcollobcat10
    At 57 years old with no state pension you have another 9 years where you could work, retirement age being 66. Is you husband same age as you? He could do the same.
    • Litchielou
    • By Litchielou 6th Jan 18, 10:22 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 625 Thanks
    Litchielou
    Hubby persuade me as he said there is lots of money now he's changed his mind so frightened
    • skcollobcat10
    • By skcollobcat10 6th Jan 18, 10:47 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 2,200 Thanks
    skcollobcat10
    Don't be scared there are lots of people who can help on this benefits board.

What I feel you have both done is let the amount of redundancy go to your head thinking that it would last for years and years. Also having just 1 pension coming in will be hard financially especially since you still have a mortgage to pay. But may be you and your husband could both find any part time jobs just to add to what you have coming in each month, even use that to pay towards the mortgage. At least you have realised that there will be a money shortfall and still have some years to sort. Good luck with what you decide.
    • venison
    • By venison 6th Jan 18, 11:41 PM
    • 1,468 Posts
    • 1,608 Thanks
    venison
    If you just gave up your job then JSA would probably be sanctioned meaning you wouldn't get it for x number of weeks.
    I am a BG on loans,credit cards and benefits I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly". Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • skcollobcat10
    • By skcollobcat10 6th Jan 18, 11:48 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 2,200 Thanks
    skcollobcat10
    Contributions Jsa means you have had to have paid a certain number of stamps to qualify for it. You would not get income jsa with savings.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 7th Jan 18, 12:05 AM
    • 23,989 Posts
    • 14,003 Thanks
    xylophone
    Get a state pension statement.

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

What did you work at until nine months ago?
    • skcollobcat10
    • By skcollobcat10 7th Jan 18, 12:08 AM
    • 253 Posts
    • 2,200 Thanks
    skcollobcat10
    She worked as a carer for short time she said mainly sahm.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,358Posts Today

9,677Users online

Martin's Twitter