Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• L.O.1234
    • By L.O.1234 6th Jan 18, 8:23 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Credit card for student?
    • 6th Jan 18, 8:23 PM
    Credit card for student? 6th Jan 18 at 8:23 PM
    I am a 'mature' (just!) university student, however unlike many of my peers I live at home and also work so don't have the money troubles! I am wanting to build up my credit rating for the future e.g. mortgages. I have an overdraft on my current account and have changed a couple of my bills to my name from my parents to help do this.

I would like to get a credit card and according to the checker on this website I am likely to be accepted for several well known rewards cards (I wont use the card for debt, and can pay it off in full every month so the rewards cards are most attractive to me despite the interest). I need advice on whether to apply for a rewards card despite having little credit history and risk a rejection, or go straight for the cards for 'bad' credit scores and give up on the attractive benefits.

As I said the main aim is to use the card for my normal spending and pay off in full from my current account.

I am also wondering if my student loan comes under my normal income as it is the largest part of my annual income or if I have to include it in 'other income'. Any help would be very appreciated!
Page 1
    • venison
    • By venison 6th Jan 18, 9:21 PM
    • 1,757 Posts
    • 1,873 Thanks
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:21 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:21 PM
    If you have a student bank account you could try them first.
    I am a BG on loans,credit cards and benefits I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly". Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to Any views are mine and not the official line of
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

44Posts Today

2,897Users online

Martin's Twitter