Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 6th Jan 18, 6:56 PM
    • 6,434Posts
    • 4,935Thanks
    ohreally
    Faulty TV - Amazon
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:56 PM
    Faulty TV - Amazon 6th Jan 18 at 6:56 PM
    Purchased a TV form Amazon, arrived yesterday. Unboxed it to install this afternoon and noticed the screen is coming away from the bezel at the top.

Amazons website allows a return for a replacement but then goes on to inform I have 30 days to avoid being charged for the replacement and original and I should obtain proof of posting. Why should I be in the firing line for shipping of a faulty item?

Is there no mechanism for the carrier delivering the replacement to uplift the faulty item being returned?

Tia.
Page 1
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 6th Jan 18, 7:02 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 1,341 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 6th Jan 18, 7:02 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 7:02 PM
    No, no mechanism for the courier to swap the faulty one for the new one.

What options are they offering for return, presumably they're paying for it (or reimbursing you as part of the refund)?

You should always obtain proof of postage/ collection when returning anything. It covers you in case the item goes missing.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 6th Jan 18, 7:11 PM
    • 6,434 Posts
    • 4,935 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 6th Jan 18, 7:11 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 7:11 PM
    What options are they offering for return, presumably they're paying for it (or reimbursing you as part of the refund)?
    Originally posted by BorisThomson
    Only offer is from their website is to return the TV, nothing about them offering to pay.

I've called Amazon to discuss but its an offshore call centre and I'm afraid I've had to throw the towel in due to being unable to understand the accent.

Is there a UK tel contact number?
    • marlot
    • By marlot 6th Jan 18, 7:23 PM
    • 3,203 Posts
    • 2,333 Thanks
    marlot
    • 6th Jan 18, 7:23 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 7:23 PM
    Whenever I've returned anything faulty to Amazon, they've paid the postage.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 6th Jan 18, 7:24 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 1,341 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 6th Jan 18, 7:24 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 7:24 PM
    Only offer is from their website is to return the TV, nothing about them offering to pay.

I've called Amazon to discuss but its an offshore call centre and I'm afraid I've had to throw the towel in due to being unable to understand the accent.

Originally posted by ohreally
    On the returns centre have you selected the faulty option? If you do they'll either arrange a courier, offer a prepaid label, or give you the option to return it and them refund the cost. If you've selected a non faulty option then you'll be expected to pay.

Speak to them on live chat if you can't understand someone with an accent.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 6th Jan 18, 7:26 PM
    • 30,594 Posts
    • 19,351 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 6th Jan 18, 7:26 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 7:26 PM

There's a chat option, much easier than a call centre, not sure if open now but try tomorrow if not.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 6th Jan 18, 8:33 PM
    • 6,434 Posts
    • 4,935 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 6th Jan 18, 8:33 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 8:33 PM
    Thanks folks.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 6th Jan 18, 9:28 PM
    • 11,695 Posts
    • 7,902 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:28 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:28 PM
    Thanks folks.
    What was the result/outcome?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 6th Jan 18, 9:49 PM
    • 19,139 Posts
    • 14,821 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:49 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:49 PM
    What was the result/outcome?
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    Bit optimistic to expect a result after less than an hour at a time when the online chat is quite likely to be closed.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 7th Jan 18, 2:37 PM
    • 6,434 Posts
    • 4,935 Thanks
    ohreally
    On the returns centre have you selected the faulty option? If you do they'll either arrange a courier, offer a prepaid label, or give you the option to return it and them refund the cost.
    I've selected a faulty item return. I then get the following -

Return shipping cost will be deducted from your refund.

I'm now thinking of a refund - confused dot com.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 7th Jan 18, 2:44 PM
    • 11,695 Posts
    • 7,902 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Bit optimistic to expect a result after less than an hour at a time when the online chat is quite likely to be closed.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    I took the "thanks folks" to possibly mean there was a resolution, hence me asking.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 7th Jan 18, 2:45 PM
    • 11,695 Posts
    • 7,902 Thanks
    theonlywayisup

Go onto live chat. They will manually send you a label.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 7th Jan 18, 2:50 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 1,341 Thanks
    BorisThomson

Exactly which option did you select?

(Online chat is 24 hours. If it's not showing as available it's because they're busy.)
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 7th Jan 18, 4:57 PM
    • 6,434 Posts
    • 4,935 Thanks
    ohreally
    Exactly which option did you select?
    Select item to return- (reason) the item is damaged, replacement, (I then have to check a box to agree to return the item or I will be charged for the replacement in addition to the original).

I receive the same if I choose reason for return as "item defective or doesn't work".

Edit: I've arranged a pick-up now.
    Last edited by ohreally; 07-01-2018 at 5:11 PM.
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 7th Jan 18, 7:19 PM
    • 1,734 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    nickcc
    Never had a problem with Amazon and faulty goods. Usually print off a returns label at no cost to me and item credited when accepted as faulty.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 13th Jan 18, 8:41 PM
    • 6,434 Posts
    • 4,935 Thanks
    ohreally
    Update (ongoing). Wife had a tel call from carrier delivering the new appliance on Wed 10 asking if someone would be available to accept del on Thurs (the following day). 13 hour del window - no-one showed and no contact.

Amazon email then stated del would be today between 0700:20:00 no show and no contact. Days off work have had to be arranged to facilitate this.

A call to Amazon chat asking for an update inform, don't worry it will be del tonight. I point out that its now gone 20.00 and hows that going to work, several minutes of silence. A difference call handler then pops up to tell me the carrier del on a Sun and it will be tomorrow - unable to tell me what difference a third del day makes.

On top of that a carrier appears yesterday to uplift the damaged item, then today another carrier crew rocks up to uplift the item already uplifted.

Does anyone have the email contact of a suitable individual within the organisation to communicate with re this?
    • tweets
    • By tweets 13th Jan 18, 9:16 PM
    • 28,339 Posts
    • 416,591 Thanks
    tweets
    Update (ongoing). Wife had a tel call from carrier delivering the new appliance on Wed 10 asking if someone would be available to accept del on Thurs (the following day). 13 hour del window - no-one showed and no contact.

Amazon email then stated del would be today between 0700:20:00 no show and no contact. Days off work have had to be arranged to facilitate this.

A call to Amazon chat asking for an update inform, don't worry it will be del tonight. I point out that its now gone 20.00 and hows that going to work, several minutes of silence. A difference call handler then pops up to tell me the carrier del on a Sun and it will be tomorrow - unable to tell me what difference a third del day makes.

On top of that a carrier appears yesterday to uplift the damaged item, then today another carrier crew rocks up to uplift the item already uplifted.

Does anyone have the email contact of a suitable individual within the organisation to communicate with re this?
    I would get them to phone you instead of chat. They will ring you straight away .
    Lost 3st-1lb
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 13th Jan 18, 9:43 PM
    • 6,434 Posts
    • 4,935 Thanks
    ohreally
    I would get them to phone you instead of chat. They will ring you straight away .
    Originally posted by tweets

I've called Amazon to discuss but its an offshore call centre and I'm afraid I've had to throw the towel in due to being unable to understand the accent
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 14th Jan 18, 10:07 PM
    • 6,434 Posts
    • 4,935 Thanks
    ohreally
    And yet another day passes without delivery despite being informed last night that del would be today.

Shambles.
    • philatio
    • By philatio 15th Jan 18, 4:18 PM
    • 623 Posts
    • 774 Thanks
    philatio
    I had a similar nightmare with Amazon and faulty TVs a couple of months ago. Took about 5 attempts to get a courier to actually turn up and do something.

My conclusions..
    Their helpline (both phone and live chat) are India based and are truly truly dreadful. They basically lie to you, each time promising things that they never deliver. They said they'd booked pickups when they hadn't.. they contradict each other... 3 times I was promised gift credit as compensation.. which I never got.
    The solution is to complain on their twitter service. This is then picked up by their social media team, UK or US based, who'll then pick up the case and get it sorted for you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

526Posts Today

4,509Users online

Martin's Twitter