Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tinaarena31
    • By Tinaarena31 6th Jan 18, 6:07 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Tinaarena31
    96 year old gran and benefit advice ...can you advise?
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:07 PM
    96 year old gran and benefit advice ...can you advise? 6th Jan 18 at 6:07 PM
    My gran is 96 with dementia.
    I've been her appointee with DWP for around 9 years now as she has dementia.
    On Boxing Day she had a fall and since then she has been scared to go to bed incase she falls out.
    She's sleeping on a sofa that is too small for her in living room.
    I applied tonight online for a budget loan on her behalf so I can buy her a bed with rails up for living room.
    After submitting form I've seen if your the appointee you have to complete paper form not online.
    Now I'm worried her budget loan will be declined because of me not reading things properly.
    I won't be able to afford the single bed for her without it.
    Do you think if I ring Monday and explain and request the paper forms it should be ok?
    I'm worried as I couldn't afford her a new bed without it and she only gets pension and no savings etc .
    I can't do nothing right lately!
Page 1
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 6th Jan 18, 6:08 PM
    • 28,757 Posts
    • 73,458 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:08 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:08 PM
    Does she get Attendance Allowance?
    • Tinaarena31
    • By Tinaarena31 6th Jan 18, 6:10 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Tinaarena31
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:10 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:10 PM
    She gets attendance allowance,pension credit and state pension
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 6th Jan 18, 6:19 PM
    • 1,711 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:19 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:19 PM
    A) Re benefits:
    1) Claim Attendance Allowance for her - https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/benefits-entitlements/attendance-allowance/
    2) If she isn't getting Pension Credit then check her eligibility for it- https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/benefits-entitlements/
    https://bromley.mylifeportal.co.uk/uploadedFiles/Bromley/Bromley_Homepage/Document_Library/Cray_Valley/DWPHome%20visits%20Poster.pdf

EDIT: Ah, I see from your follow up post she is getting these - so please now ignore the above

B) Get a care and support needs assessment from your local council - https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/how-a-local-authority-care-needs-assessment-works
    https://www.gov.uk/apply-needs-assessment-social-services
    "Services can include:
    home care help with things like cleaning and shopping
    disability equipment and adaptations to your home
    day centres to give you or the person who cares for you a break"
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support/assessment-care-needs/?
    Last edited by Alice Holt; 06-01-2018 at 6:23 PM. Reason: More info from OP
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 6th Jan 18, 6:30 PM
    • 2,123 Posts
    • 1,356 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:30 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:30 PM
    Contact her doctor who can initiate a Social Services visit who can determine her needs rather than you guessing them.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • Tinaarena31
    • By Tinaarena31 6th Jan 18, 6:40 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Tinaarena31
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:40 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:40 PM
    Thankyou for your advice.
    I've been worried to contact social services incase they see her now and say she can't live alone anymore.
    At the moment she can't stand alone without me holding her hand and she's falling a lot..that's why I want to get a bed with the rails.
    I don't think S/S would pay for that.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 6th Jan 18, 6:45 PM
    • 5,041 Posts
    • 10,230 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:45 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:45 PM
    Thankyou for your advice.
    I've been worried to contact social services incase they see her now and say she can't live alone anymore.
    At the moment she can't stand alone without me holding her hand and she's falling a lot..that's why I want to get a bed with the rails.
    I don't think S/S would pay for that.
    Originally posted by Tinaarena31
    Surely she needs some sort of walker or mobility device, not you holding her hand all the time.

The bed seems a red herring. I appreciate you wanting to do everything you can for your gran but it may be time for outside involvement.

You seem to be describing a situation where she has a bed with rails, and then has to stay in it unless you’re around to help her walk? This is not good for your gran.

I understand where you are coming from as we tried to keep my grandad out of care for a long time. However, there came a point where it was no longer safe for my grandad to be alone.
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • Tinaarena31
    • By Tinaarena31 6th Jan 18, 6:49 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Tinaarena31
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:49 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:49 PM
    She has a walker but refuses to use it
    I'm in all day every day apart from the weekly shop when my dad sits with her for 2 hours.
    She's only needed me to help her walk since the Boxing Day fall.
    I'm hoping she will get her strength back in her legs but thought If we got her a bed with rails I might be able to get out a little bit more with no fear of her falling out
    • Tinaarena31
    • By Tinaarena31 6th Jan 18, 6:51 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Tinaarena31
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:51 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:51 PM
    She wouldn't cope in a nursing home.
    If I could afford the bed myself I wouldn't ask for any budget loan etc but I only get carers allowance and that doesn't go far
    • Rich2808
    • By Rich2808 6th Jan 18, 6:52 PM
    • 528 Posts
    • 428 Thanks
    Rich2808
    It sounds harsh but it probably is time she went into a care home where she can get round the clock support. It is too much for you to manage on your own without outside help.

She first needs a social care assessment - and they might provide free aids and adaptations for her home depending on her circumstances. But it doesn't solve the issue - she can't look after herself properly any more.
    • Tinaarena31
    • By Tinaarena31 6th Jan 18, 6:54 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Tinaarena31
    I've been looking into bluebird care,they provide some outside help.
    I just don't know where to start
    The thought of contacting S/S scares me.
    I know eventually I will need support
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 6th Jan 18, 6:56 PM
    • 4,430 Posts
    • 4,645 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    As others have said, the first step is a social care assessment. They are used to seeing people with similar needs and may well have suggestions and solutions which haven't even occurred to you.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 6th Jan 18, 6:59 PM
    • 28,757 Posts
    • 73,458 Thanks
    Mojisola
    At the moment she can't stand alone without me holding her hand and she's falling a lot.
    Originally posted by Tinaarena31
    Your area should have a group that works with people who have had falls to built up their strength and confidence. Ask at her GP's surgery.
    • Tinaarena31
    • By Tinaarena31 6th Jan 18, 7:01 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Tinaarena31
    Thanks everyone il contact someone for some helpz
    • somethingcorporate
    • By somethingcorporate 6th Jan 18, 7:22 PM
    • 8,861 Posts
    • 8,566 Thanks
    somethingcorporate
    For the bed issue would a bedrail work?

https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/baby/safety/safety-barriers/safety-1st-portable-bedrail-blue/p/149262

I know they are intended for children but may be a cheaper option than a new bed.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
    • elsien
    • By elsien 6th Jan 18, 7:30 PM
    • 15,680 Posts
    • 39,529 Thanks
    elsien
    Not being able to walk without help is not going to get her put into a home. A care assessment can look at your needs as a carer as well as your gran's needs. It may also give her a proper occupational therapy assessment, help with how to improve her confidence and additional help other than you.
    It is not only expensive for someone to go into care, it is a last resort when all other options have failed for people who would prefer to stay at home - when it becomes unsafe. As much as anything, people with dementia fare better in familiar surroundings. The local authority will be quite happy for you to carry on in your caring role as it saves them a lot of money, and your gran is managing with your help.

You shouldn't get a bed with a rail without a proper assessment.They can be more dangerous than not having them if people get trapped or try to climb out and people have died when the rails were not suited to the bed or had been incorrectly fitted. Many care homes instead have much lower beds with a crash mat on the floor. Safer all round for some people.
    Get some help - it will benefit the both of you.
    Last edited by elsien; 06-01-2018 at 8:28 PM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Tinaarena31
    • By Tinaarena31 6th Jan 18, 7:33 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Tinaarena31
    I didn't even take into consideration about them being dangerous....I'm trying my best but struggling slightly.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 6th Jan 18, 7:33 PM
    • 2,123 Posts
    • 1,356 Thanks
    Robin9
    My 95yo MIL also had a fall recently with a short hospital stay. She subsequently had a care assesment and now has a 4 visits a day care package.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • Tinaarena31
    • By Tinaarena31 6th Jan 18, 7:35 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Tinaarena31
    I would love 4 visits a day,that would take the pressure off.
    I think I've just got into my head social services are just going to ship everyone of a certain age into a care home but I guess if there's family willing to help they will help us keep her at home.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 6th Jan 18, 7:36 PM
    • 15,680 Posts
    • 39,529 Thanks
    elsien
    You don't have to go to the GP to get a Care Act assessment, although they might be able to help with an OT referral for aids/adaptations. You can apply directly to the local authority. The information will be on your local authority website.

There aren't enough care home places to go round as it is, let alone shipping every one off over a certain age. Try not to worry, but it's better to ask for help now than later when it's all got a bit much. You have to look after yourself - you are no use to your gran otherwise.
    And if your nan can't make her own decisions about where to live and social services make one that you disagree with, you have the right to challenge it. You're not powerless, even if it doesn't feel like it at the moment.
    Last edited by elsien; 06-01-2018 at 7:40 PM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,027Posts Today

8,055Users online

Martin's Twitter