Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 6th Jan 18, 4:50 PM
    • 4,993Posts
    • 6,248Thanks
    theoretica
    First aid kits
    • 6th Jan 18, 4:50 PM
    First aid kits 6th Jan 18 at 4:50 PM
    How many first aid kits do you own and where do you keep them? I am thinking of getting one for the car and one for home, but resist buying two of something I hope not to use, and at least at home I have the stuff I usually use such as sticking plasters.

I recently found myself wanting a bit I did not have to hand (one of those long rolled bandages) so want to improve my chances of having one around.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
Page 1
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 6th Jan 18, 5:08 PM
    • 3,228 Posts
    • 7,686 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 6th Jan 18, 5:08 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 5:08 PM
    We’ve only got one that’s taken out with us when we go out walking.

Got plasters in the house but that’s it really
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • DD265
    • By DD265 6th Jan 18, 9:55 PM
    • 1,277 Posts
    • 3,192 Thanks
    DD265
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:55 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:55 PM
    One in the car, and two in the house. The house ones we keep plasters, painkillers and 'seasonal' items (e.g. cough syrup if one of us has been ill) downstairs, then we have our spare plasters/painkillers and everything else upstairs.

I had a good sort out the other day though and we've been hoarding paracetamol and ibuprofen so we'll have to make sure we always carry some in our bags rather than continuing to buy new packs if we're caught out.

I should add that my first aid kits were not purchased as kits but instead I buy bits individually based on what I know I want/use. That way we largely avoid duplicates excluding things we want on hand quickly so keep in multiple places. A previous hobby was horse riding/ownership, so I am pretty clued up on treating minor injuries!
    • fromtheshires
    • By fromtheshires 7th Jan 18, 12:10 AM
    • 271 Posts
    • 214 Thanks
    fromtheshires
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:10 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:10 AM
    How many first aid kits do you own and where do you keep them? I am thinking of getting one for the car and one for home, but resist buying two of something I hope not to use, and at least at home I have the stuff I usually use such as sticking plasters.
    Originally posted by theoretica
    It's better to have something and not need it than to need something and not have it. A few months ago, I sliced my hand quite deep with a knife. I immediately knew there was a first aid kit and managed to bandage my hand up suitably to stop the bleeding and apply a couple of butterfly stitches. Without it, a trip to the hospital may have been required.

They are cheap enough on amazon so buy one for the car and one for home. The expiry dates are only on there as they can't guranatee the sterility of the item after that date but they will be fine long after this date as long as the items remain sealed.
    • flybynight
    • By flybynight 9th Jan 18, 4:57 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    flybynight
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:57 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:57 PM
    one in house, one in car, one in bike top box and one in daysack.
    better to have and not need, than to need and not have.
    saving for more holidays
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 9th Jan 18, 5:47 PM
    • 3,362 Posts
    • 6,930 Thanks
    Murphybear
    • 9th Jan 18, 5:47 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 5:47 PM
    My first aid cabinet contains things which I have needed in the past. Plasters, painkillers, antihistamine cream and calamine lotion. I think there’s some decongestants and anti diarrhoea somewhere as well.

There are some bandages which are years old but I’ve thankfully never used.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 9th Jan 18, 5:57 PM
    • 10,340 Posts
    • 26,417 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 9th Jan 18, 5:57 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 5:57 PM
    I have helped umpteen people with my car first aid kit, so many that I'm looking for a new one

In the car one I keep plasters, a few bandages, a foil sheet ( never used yet ) antiseptic, antihistamine and a burn gel

Home is a complete mess. It's on my declutter list for tomorrow. It has everything you can think of in it, usually half tubes of this and half packets of that.
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 9th Jan 18, 6:41 PM
    • 4,993 Posts
    • 6,248 Thanks
    theoretica
    • 9th Jan 18, 6:41 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 6:41 PM
    Thanks all.

Some of those sound very like my current situation - the stuff I had needed in the past! Have ordered one with lots of stuff I haven't yet needed but might do in future for just in case and to check I approve of the quality and dates before considering another one so I have triangular bandages and things both at home and in the car.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

980Posts Today

7,797Users online

Martin's Twitter