Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • geek84
    • By geek84 6th Jan 18, 4:01 PM
    • 1,034Posts
    • 105Thanks
    geek84
    Buying an Audi
    • 6th Jan 18, 4:01 PM
    Buying an Audi 6th Jan 18 at 4:01 PM
    A very Happy New Year to you all.

My wife and I are thinking of buying either an Audi A4 or A6 within the next 18 months. We don’t use the family car too much since my wife & I use public transport to get to and from work, we would do approx. 6000 mile per year. We have 2 teenage kids and the car would be for the family.
    Apart from price and size, what other things would we need to consider whether to buy an Audi A4 or A6? What size and type of engine should we look for? How old should the car be? Is buying a car with 50k on the clock already a bit excessive?
    Any advice greatly appreciated.
Page 1
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 6th Jan 18, 4:17 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 294 Thanks
    wgl2014
    • 6th Jan 18, 4:17 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 4:17 PM
    Avoid diesel with your low annual mileage.

50k miles is nothing for a modern (properly serviced) car. I wouldn't get too hung up on age either, condition is far more important.
    • missile
    • By missile 6th Jan 18, 4:45 PM
    • 9,137 Posts
    • 4,469 Thanks
    missile
    • 6th Jan 18, 4:45 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 4:45 PM
    I have owned several Audis and found them to be very reliable. I currently drive an SQ5

Audi offer cheap fixed price servicing for 3+ year old cars and 55,000 is not an issue IF the car has been cared for.

As noted diesel is not recommended if you do short journeys. The 2.0 TFSI is a strong engine with reasonable economy, however the vast majority of Audi A4&6 for sale will be diesel. With all the BS about Deiselgate, you might find a bargain. If the price is right, go for it.

If you can afford it, this A6 All Road Quattro would be a good choice
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • loskie
    • By loskie 6th Jan 18, 5:06 PM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 712 Thanks
    loskie
    • 6th Jan 18, 5:06 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 5:06 PM
    for your mileage you may get a better deal if you buy a large petrol engined car. At 6000m mpg is largely irrelevant you may well get much more for your money. 50000m on a car is nothing. Also worth looking at Volvo s60 or 80
    • thescouselander
    • By thescouselander 6th Jan 18, 10:25 PM
    • 5,320 Posts
    • 4,890 Thanks
    thescouselander
    • 6th Jan 18, 10:25 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 10:25 PM
    Just avoid the poverty spec models - there are loads of these about as many people buy the cheapest model just so they can have the badge. The reality of living with these cars is pretty grim though as they're missing kit that would be seen as essential/standard on many other cars.

Also look out for dodgy central locking mechanisms. I had all 4 doors and the petrol flap go on my A4 and they're expensive to fix unless you can do it yourself (I got pretty good at this in the end)
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 6th Jan 18, 11:53 PM
    • 944 Posts
    • 1,053 Thanks
    treboeth
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:53 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:53 PM
    Make sure the indicators work, they may have seized due to lack of use

Only kidding before someone take the fence
    I know no one uses indicators anymore.
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 7th Jan 18, 12:08 AM
    • 1,711 Posts
    • 2,563 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:08 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 12:08 AM
    Look at a Skoda Superb as an alternative too, ignore the badge snobery, they are as good as an Audi.
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 7th Jan 18, 10:54 AM
    • 12,330 Posts
    • 10,910 Thanks
    jimjames
    • 7th Jan 18, 10:54 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 10:54 AM
    Avoid diesel with your low annual mileage.
    Originally posted by wgl2014
    Interesting point, is mileage a problem if the low miles are all done on motorway? My understanding is that it was short journeys that's the issue not low miles themselves
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 7th Jan 18, 11:14 AM
    • 15,951 Posts
    • 9,219 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:14 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:14 AM
    Look at a Skoda Superb as an alternative too, ignore the badge snobery, they are as good as an Audi.
    Originally posted by Mr.Generous
    They are - though ridiculously large. My Passat is BIG and a Superb is bigger again.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • Muscle750
    • By Muscle750 7th Jan 18, 11:56 AM
    • 930 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    Muscle750
    I got A6 3.0 tdi le mans estate ive always had Audis and wouldnt be without mine lovely motorway car auto box quattro will get up0 and go when req especially on the padals on steering wheel and in S mode. 33 MPG and just over 40 on motorway
    • thescouselander
    • By thescouselander 7th Jan 18, 12:29 PM
    • 5,320 Posts
    • 4,890 Thanks
    thescouselander
    Originally posted by Mr.Generous

Lol - Skoda's have come a long way but they're not as good as Audi's in terms of refinement.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 7th Jan 18, 1:17 PM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 1,379 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Interesting point, is mileage a problem if the low miles are all done on motorway? My understanding is that it was short journeys that's the issue not low miles themselves
    Originally posted by jimjames
    Correct. If the majority of that 5000 miles a year is going to be from going out on Sunday rides, drivnig to/from holiday and visiting distant relatives then no problem. If it is going to be from going to Tesco and back then you'll have issues.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 7th Jan 18, 2:00 PM
    • 6,303 Posts
    • 5,686 Thanks
    Herzlos
    It's still worth looking at petrol though; you'll get more car for the money and it'll be nicer to drive. At that mileage the increased fuel costs won't be that bad at all.

With that mileage for a family car I'd take the biggest petrol engine I can find - noone wants them because they only look at the mpg figure.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 7th Jan 18, 2:20 PM
    • 15,951 Posts
    • 9,219 Thanks
    motorguy
    Correct. If the majority of that 5000 miles a year is going to be from going out on Sunday rides, drivnig to/from holiday and visiting distant relatives then no problem. If it is going to be from going to Tesco and back then you'll have issues.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    Those sort of miles would still worry me in a diesel though, irrespective of actual journey styles.

No reason at all not to be going petrol - better for the environment apparently and you could end up getting the equivalent petrol variant for less than the price of the diesel one.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 7th Jan 18, 2:23 PM
    • 15,951 Posts
    • 9,219 Thanks
    motorguy
    With that mileage for a family car I'd take the biggest petrol engine I can find - noone wants them because they only look at the mpg figure.
    Originally posted by Herzlos
    I'm currently looking for something like that to replace the Passat - a big v6 petrol Merc or a straight six (probably turbo'd) BMW and i'm finding the opposite - (a) they're like hens teeth, (b) they're never cheap and (c) are snapped up very quickly.
    • geek84
    • By geek84 7th Jan 18, 6:22 PM
    • 1,034 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    geek84
    Many thanks indeed for all your feedback
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 7th Jan 18, 8:38 PM
    • 1,424 Posts
    • 1,237 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    Have you actually done any research about the Audi A4/A6?

Seems like you just want an Audi, because its an Audi.
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 8th Jan 18, 6:25 AM
    • 1,059 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    We’ve not had the obligitury Ford Mondeo recommendation yet so here it is. Get a Mondeo, much better value and dare I say it? Just as good.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 8th Jan 18, 8:42 AM
    • 1,291 Posts
    • 974 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    Do make sure you research the Audi properly. I have to say although ours is a perfectly fine car, there are silly things in implementation that are just unnecessary - that folding mirrors can't be set to fold with locking, front parking sensors that require a button to get them to activate, the selector knob that turns the opposite way from other cars (you turn anti-clockwise to go forward through the alphabet, or down a list which is different to just about everyone else in the world), awkward to use cruise control on some models. Going back a bit, they were also hard to get in full leather which if you want an interior with a long life I rate as an important factor in a premium car. These are obviously my pet niggles, but I can't be alone.

The main thing is that they have stuck to the low initial spec + extras pricing while Merc and BMW have moved on to including features, so unless you drop on run out models, it is far too easy to buy and discover it is missing a feature you value, and you'll be irritated by it forever more.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 8th Jan 18, 8:44 AM
    • 15,951 Posts
    • 9,219 Thanks
    motorguy
    We’ve not had the obligitury Ford Mondeo recommendation yet so here it is. Get a Mondeo, much better value and dare I say it? Just as good.
    Originally posted by ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    Possibly, arguably, probably.

Same can be said for a Passat or Superb.

Personal choice though really.

I've personally never got excited about (most) Audis, therefore i went for a Passat. Worked out cheaper than the equivalent Superb due to huge numbers being available.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

858Posts Today

6,783Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin