Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• pennymakespounds
    • By pennymakespounds 6th Jan 18, 3:20 PM
    • 1,456Posts
    • 287Thanks
    AOL imminent closure of "Desktop 9.7" facility
    • 6th Jan 18, 3:20 PM
    AOL imminent closure of "Desktop 9.7" facility 6th Jan 18 at 3:20 PM
    but will still be able to access and use AOL email service from Chrome & IE ......

.. but my confusion is regarding the "my favourite places" facility where i have a few hundred website links stored... it's a great / easy facility to use .

With only a day or two before it closes down .. i need to get a copy of all the website links . ?????

Their "help" does say it is easy to use the "manage " and then " save favourites as a file on my computer" .. but it just doesn't work .. i do the download but trying to open the file , whether it is in "pfc personal filing cabinet " ...or "all files" .. it just has option of "open" or "save" ..neither do anything .

HELP !!! ????

thank you.
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 6th Jan 18, 3:43 PM
    • 26,764 Posts
    • 10,760 Thanks
    • 6th Jan 18, 3:43 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 3:43 PM
    I still have AOL emails, a lot of them

I have been slowly shifting everything away from AOL emails just in case.
    Bought my own domain so no more messing with insecure providers or providers asking for personal information.

Only get 200 email addresses will it be enough though

What browser are you using? what version of the browser?

Been a while since i used the AOL PFC, will see if i can find some and see what format they are in.
    Last edited by forgotmyname; 06-01-2018 at 3:58 PM.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • pennymakespounds
    • By pennymakespounds 6th Jan 18, 4:06 PM
    • 1,456 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    • 6th Jan 18, 4:06 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 4:06 PM
    Have windows 7 laptop and normally go straight in to the AOL desktop 9.7 facility .

Do also use Chrome which is where i'll soon have to access AOL mail from
    • Winter Phoenix
    • By Winter Phoenix 8th Jan 18, 12:36 AM
    • 252 Posts
    • 1,330 Thanks
    Winter Phoenix
    • 8th Jan 18, 12:36 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 12:36 AM
    This is a very 'Heath Robinson' solution, but if you're desperate it's better than nothing.

Open a new AOL email in AOL desktop.

Open your first 'favourite' website and drag the little heart icon into the body of the email, where it will appear as a link. Click 'Enter' on your keyboard to go down a line in the e-mail.

Open your second 'favourite' website and repeat the above.

When you have collected (however many) links, send the email to yourself.

That way, at least you can open the email in (say) Chrome once the AOL desktop is no longer operational, and the links to all your favourites will be available to you. And as you in the future visit each of your favourite websites (via the links in the email) you can gradually save them as favourites in Chrome.

[NB: I suggest you don't try to save a hundred links at a time in one email, in case just as you reach Number 99, something goes wrong, and it's back to the beginning again...]

Not an ideal easy solution, I know, but how desperate are you?!?
    e cineribus resurgam
    ("From the ashes I shall arise.")
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

97Posts Today

1,593Users online

Martin's Twitter