Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• GlynG
    • By GlynG 6th Jan 18, 3:17 PM
    • 83Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Switching contract at or before end?
    • 6th Jan 18, 3:17 PM
    Switching contract at or before end? 6th Jan 18 at 3:17 PM
    I want to change our BT Broadband to a different provider (possibly Plusnet but will look whateverís cheapest closest to the time).

Our current 12 month reduced price contract with BT runs out on the 7th March. Should I initate the change on this day or can I arrange the new broadband beforehand to start on this day? I donít want to pay the penalty with BT for leaving early.
Page 1
    • loulou41
    • By loulou41 6th Jan 18, 6:59 PM
    • 2,676 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:59 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:59 PM
    I will be in the same position soon. It might be a good idea to ring retention team and see what they have got on offer. I am thinking of switching to plus net as well. Will be interesting to know if you will get any good offer from bt. If not just tell them you are switching as soon as your contract is over.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 7th Jan 18, 1:00 AM
    • 8,893 Posts
    • 5,290 Thanks
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:00 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 1:00 AM
    I rang PlusNet, when moving from Sky, to ask about migration dates ad was told within ,but near to, 10 working days from the next working day or 14 days. When mentioning being taken over before the end of my current contract, they said a day would cost very little but that they tell you the changeover day,which you can defer,should you so choose.

I ordered on a Friday and was given 14 days ie alternate Friday. This was the same as 10 working days from the next which would be the Monday. (this was what I had calculated, myself)

I ordered so the migration Friday was 2 days beyond my Sky minimal term as I preferred not to involve any early leaving complications and this cost me very little.
    • editor1
    • By editor1 9th Jan 18, 9:12 AM
    • 181 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:12 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:12 AM

I was considering moving to PlusNet again for the elderly folks, but when checked all offers and cash backs decided to haggle with Sky first before moving. Sky initially upped the parents monthly payments from £20pm to £35pm for BB, Line Rental & Anytime calls, this fell to £21.99pm after contacting Cancellation service. Given we had £50 cash back from TCB last year, on top of MSE £12pm Sky deal offer, not too bad and full two year contract works out at £20 per month with Anytime calls, which is cheap compared to what's on offer presently. Further, we'd lose our Sky Hub, which is a bit better than PlusNets router - I actually use a Linksy AC Router for wifi coverage. On the whole, Sky service has been okay and no serious complaints.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,167Posts Today

8,595Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have you planned how to finance your funeral? Please vote in this week's MSE site poll...

• If you're coming to the ideal home show today, I'm taking at 2. Do come along. To whet the appetite, here's a pic f?

• Today's twitter poll: When u see a disabled toilet, whether in a restaurant, station or elsewhere, if there's no ot?

• Follow Martin