Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 6th Jan 18, 1:37 PM
    • 5,017Posts
    • 10,175Thanks
    marliepanda
    How much are sellers allowed to charge for ‘packaging’
    • 6th Jan 18, 1:37 PM
    How much are sellers allowed to charge for ‘packaging’ 6th Jan 18 at 1:37 PM
    I am the buyer here. I bought a few items (small items which from my own experience would have gone for Ł2.80) postage listed as Ł5 each.

I bought about 5 of these items and the revised postage was given as Ł12.00. When I got the items today Ł6.50 is the postage cost.

I have asked the seller to refund some of the difference however she has said that the postage cost includes postage and packaging. I don’t feel very happy to pay Ł5.50 for a reused BeautyBay box and a few bits of bubble wrap, and her ebay fee also. What are eBays rules on this?

In my opinion I’d have expected Ł4 back.
    Survey Earnings 2017 - Ł163
Page 2
    • sleepymans
    • By sleepymans 6th Jan 18, 4:36 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    sleepymans
    Its threads like this that make me steer well clear of eBay these days. In my opinion the buyer and the seller in this case are as bad as each other.
    Goddess
    • usefulmale
    • By usefulmale 6th Jan 18, 4:38 PM
    • 2,340 Posts
    • 4,337 Thanks
    usefulmale
    Ł4.50 refunded just now so I’m leaving positive 5* feedback.
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    What a coincidence.
    Originally Posted by MSE Forum Team
    We’ve had to remove your signature because what you wrote was true and sensible and there's no room for that here.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 6th Jan 18, 4:54 PM
    • 5,017 Posts
    • 10,175 Thanks
    marliepanda
    What a coincidence.
    Originally posted by usefulmale
    Would you like screenshots of my eBay messages and PayPal?

I sell on eBay stuff I no longer need. I’m in no way a business, but I don’t charge my buyers through the nose to make an extra few quid.

Likewise when buying I expect reasonable costs, not twice the price.
    Survey Earnings 2017 - Ł163
    • soolin
    • By soolin 6th Jan 18, 6:00 PM
    • 59,739 Posts
    • 42,408 Thanks
    soolin
    I just remembered why I use inclusive postage for most of my items.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 6th Jan 18, 6:23 PM
    • 10,936 Posts
    • 22,911 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    Its threads like this that make me steer well clear of eBay these days. In my opinion the buyer and the seller in this case are as bad as each other.
    Originally posted by sleepymans
    I agree with you.

Whenever I buy on ebay I always take postage into account as an overall price.

If I intend on buying more than one item I message the seller asking for a total price.

I would not quibble about if after a price is agreed.

As a seller I always quote postage at cost and start bidding at a price I would be happy to get and cover fees etc.
    • Marcon
    • By Marcon 6th Jan 18, 6:39 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    Marcon
    OP was certainly utterly confusing. This started as a question about overpaid postage and then without explanation was all about item not as described...possibly the poor old seller was totally bemused about what the complaint actually was!
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 6th Jan 18, 7:45 PM
    • 11,706 Posts
    • 7,908 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    I am with Marlie on this too.

Charging ridiculous amounts when the actual postage is much less is just wrong. Don't charge a buyer Ł20 and send the item for Ł10. That's common sense (or so I thought).

I too use the inclusive (free) postage option as that way the buyer doesn't get the opportunity to split the cost and work out if they've got a bad/good deal. I use RMT so there is no way they can guess the postage amount.

Marlie, postage is probably one of the most discussed issues on this board. Some think you should add your shoe leather, tyre cost/petrol/diesel/bus fare to the cost along with 1p for sellotape, 10% for fees and their time taken off work for getting to the PO.
    • StumpyPumpy
    • By StumpyPumpy 6th Jan 18, 9:42 PM
    • 1,189 Posts
    • 3,170 Thanks
    StumpyPumpy
    And I'm with Soolin. I got bored with people demanding a Ł1 discount on postage for buying 2 widgets that I had already parcelled up, so I started listing everything with "free" postage.

You want 10 widgets? You now pay for 10 lots of postage where as before I would have discounted it. Funny thing is my sales have gone up because I started selling the individual widget for less than the competition (I make a tiny profit if you buy a single widget) My margin kicks in when people buy more than one as I get to keep the built-in postage. And they usually do buy more than one. I've sold batches of over 100 at a time. I give bulk discounts at 5% but that is small beer.

It's all swings and roundabouts. People seem to think they are getting a better deal with "free" postage, but they aren't always. Buy 100 widgets from me today with free postage and I make a lot more profit and get less grief than when I used to itemise the postage and packing costs.

SP
    Come on people, it's not difficult: lose means to be unable to find, loose means not being fixed in place. So if you have a hole in your pocket you might lose your loose change.
    • Brooker Dave
    • By Brooker Dave 6th Jan 18, 10:46 PM
    • 4,884 Posts
    • 3,145 Thanks
    Brooker Dave
    Fees and costs are a price of doing business on eBay. Not something for the buyer to pay all of. If you want to cover your costs, factor it in the price of the item not the postage cost.
    It’s postage and packaging, not postage plus all my eBay costs and PayPal fees.
    How do sellers make a living if passing on their costs to the buyers is not allowed?

Ebay has brainwashed you into assuming anyone who charges more than the stamps cost is a thief.
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
    • olgadapolga
    • By olgadapolga 6th Jan 18, 10:48 PM
    • 813 Posts
    • 972 Thanks
    olgadapolga
    I just remembered why I use inclusive postage for most of my items.
    Originally posted by soolin
    So do I. But I have still had buyers asking for combined postage when purchasing a couple of items . . . until I point out that there is nothing to combine as it's inclusive P&P
    • Dox
    • By Dox 7th Jan 18, 10:10 AM
    • 121 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    Dox
    So do I. But I have still had buyers asking for combined postage when purchasing a couple of items . . . until I point out that there is nothing to combine as it's inclusive P&P
    Originally posted by olgadapolga
    You're missing the point - they are asking for combined p&p (i.e. a discount) because they know it will cost you less than posting the 2 items separately. I get it all the time, which is why I no longer offer free p&p! See http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73676083&posted=1#post73676083 - clearly I'm not alone.
    • Middlestitch
    • By Middlestitch 7th Jan 18, 10:48 AM
    • 1,295 Posts
    • 2,389 Thanks
    Middlestitch
    You're missing the point - they are asking for combined p&p (i.e. a discount) because they know it will cost you less than posting the 2 items separately. I get it all the time, which is why I no longer offer free p&p! See http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73676083&posted=1#post73676083 - clearly I'm not alone.
    Originally posted by Dox
    Me too - and if you don't offer some sort of discount, of course all the buyer does is buy each item separately because they're annoyed you won't play ball (which ends up costing me more both in cash terms and time/effort to pack and send).
    • epm-84
    • By epm-84 7th Jan 18, 1:00 PM
    • 1,332 Posts
    • 4,310 Thanks
    epm-84
    I am the buyer here. I bought a few items (small items which from my own experience would have gone for Ł2.80) postage listed as Ł5 each.

I bought about 5 of these items and the revised postage was given as Ł12.00. When I got the items today Ł6.50 is the postage cost.

I have asked the seller to refund some of the difference however she has said that the postage cost includes postage and packaging. I don’t feel very happy to pay Ł5.50 for a reused BeautyBay box and a few bits of bubble wrap, and her ebay fee also. What are eBays rules on this?

In my opinion I’d have expected Ł4 back.
    If the postage costs Ł2.80 then the seller would have to charge Ł3.18 to give them a net Ł2.80 after eBay and PayPal fees.

Personally I'm of the opinion a second hand box or jiffy is not worthless if you originally paid for it one way or another and it's still in good enough condition to be used again. There's also a small cost to seal it up and print/write a label. However, if the postage cost was Ł6.50 I wouldn't think charging more than Ł8 is reasonable.
    Last edited by epm-84; 07-01-2018 at 1:52 PM.
    • epm-84
    • By epm-84 7th Jan 18, 1:09 PM
    • 1,332 Posts
    • 4,310 Thanks
    epm-84
    Originally posted by olgadapolga
    I get the impression some eBay buyers want to negotiate by offering something they expect you to reject. I had one recently who made a Best Offer of around half the value I had it listed for, someone else also made a higher Best Offer. I rejected the lower one and put a note that I had another Best Offer and gave the amount the other offer was for. A couple of hours later I received an email saying my item had sold (for the listed price) and it turned out the buyer was the lady who had earlier offered half the listed price. She obviously didn't want to miss out on the item but wanted to get a big discount, if possible.
    • Brooker Dave
    • By Brooker Dave 7th Jan 18, 1:31 PM
    • 4,884 Posts
    • 3,145 Thanks
    Brooker Dave
    You'll notice that eBay thinks its perfectly reasonable for eBay to profit from postage, but not sellers, if they do it they're crooks.
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 7th Jan 18, 5:10 PM
    • 274 Posts
    • 214 Thanks
    Brynsam
    She obviously didn't want to miss out on the item but wanted to get a big discount, if possible.
    Originally posted by epm-84
    Isn't that what many buyers want? Seems entirely reasonable!
    • epm-84
    • By epm-84 8th Jan 18, 9:22 AM
    • 1,332 Posts
    • 4,310 Thanks
    epm-84
    Isn't that what many buyers want? Seems entirely reasonable!
    Originally posted by Brynsam
    Not everyone who makes a Best Offer or asks for a postage discount would be willing to buy from you at the listed price. Hypothetically, if your item was listed for Ł10 one buyer making a Best Offer of Ł5 might go elsewhere unless you agree to give some form of discount even if it's not the 50% discount they initially proposed, while another might buy the item for Ł10 if you don't agree to their Best Offer.
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 8th Jan 18, 9:29 AM
    • 3,213 Posts
    • 1,840 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    It's the best way for the environment to re-use a box (it has zero production costs in energy) but costs a lot in time to do it. You have penalised your seller for doing this.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 8th Jan 18, 10:09 AM
    • 7,260 Posts
    • 10,213 Thanks
    KxMx
    It's the best way for the environment to re-use a box (it has zero production costs in energy) but costs a lot in time to do it. You have penalised your seller for doing this.
    Originally posted by ballisticbrian
    I checked with the seller and she said she’d need to purchase a larger box to ship them in, and quoted the Ł12.

She them shipped them in a reused box.
    Seller stated a new box would need to be purchased, justifying the overall postage cost.

Item was then shipped in a used box with no reduction in postage (until buyer asked).

I hardly think the buyer is in the wrong here!
    Last edited by KxMx; 08-01-2018 at 10:15 AM.
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 8th Jan 18, 10:26 AM
    • 3,213 Posts
    • 1,840 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    Seller stated a new box would need to be purchased, justifying the overall postage cost.

Item was then shipped in a used box with no reduction in postage (until buyer asked).

I hardly think the buyer is in the wrong here!

The trouble is with a "he said", "she said" story isn't it doesn't help try to establish a principle.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,160Posts Today

8,505Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: Following yesterday's poll about being an organ donor when you die - would you consider being? https://t.co/tCTWjJBin8

• RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• Follow Martin