Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Echonovember
    • By Echonovember 6th Jan 18, 12:28 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Echonovember
    Dual insurance
    • 6th Jan 18, 12:28 PM
    Dual insurance 6th Jan 18 at 12:28 PM
    Hi can anyone help with this difficult scenario.

Facts
    1) I jointly own a property with my partner.
    2) I moved out of the property 3 weeks ago due to relationship breakdown but she remains at the property.
    3) She has insured the property from 03 January 2018 by continuing with the same insurance company we were with the previous year
    4) However without informing me she is the sole named policy holder. Under our previous insurance I was the joint policy holder.
    Problem
    1) As I am not on the policy she could cancel the insurance at any time and I would not know if the property was insured or not.
    2) Solicitor said I cannot compel her to put my name on the insurance as a joint policy holder.
    3) Insurance companies say they will not dual insure a property neither will the underwriters.
    4) Insurance company that she took the insurance with cannot not discuss the insurance with me as I am not on the policy. So due to data protection they cannot tell me anything.

Conclusion
    1)Now my partner could stop the insurance and if there was a fire and the property was damaged I would lose everything.

2) I cannot take out insurance to protect my house as I cannot dual insure.

3) If she has got insurance and the house was burnt to the ground there is no guarantee she would make a claim for years leaving me without a house to sell.

Help !!

Help or advice appreciated
    Can anyone help with this as this situation could happen to anyone
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 6th Jan 18, 3:03 PM
    • 34,064 Posts
    • 18,028 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 6th Jan 18, 3:03 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 3:03 PM
    Duplicate thread

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73672112#post73672112
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

329Posts Today

4,119Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin