Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • noblelord
    • By noblelord 6th Jan 18, 12:24 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    noblelord
    Car insurance - will I lose my NCD?
    • 6th Jan 18, 12:24 PM
    Car insurance - will I lose my NCD? 6th Jan 18 at 12:24 PM
    A slightly complex one this, so I need some advice.

I have 2 cars, both insured in my name and both with my wife as a named driver. One of the policies (the most expensive car) has 15+ years NCD. The other car, which is essentially a spare car, only has 1 year NCD on the policy as I was told I couldn't reflect the 15+ years NCD on 2 separate cars insured with different insurers.

My wife had an accident in the cheaper car (thankfully!) and I had to make a claim. I know I'll lose the 1 years NCD on that car, but I want to understand whether, when I come to renew the insurance on the more expensive car, will that claim affect my quote or impact my 15+ years NCD?

Thanks in advance,
    NL
Page 1
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 6th Jan 18, 1:29 PM
    • 1,193 Posts
    • 665 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 6th Jan 18, 1:29 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 1:29 PM
    You had a claim on one of your policies. That claim will not affect the NCD on the other policy.

The NCD is only affected on the policy the claim was made on.
    • keith1950
    • By keith1950 6th Jan 18, 1:56 PM
    • 2,414 Posts
    • 1,069 Thanks
    keith1950
    • 6th Jan 18, 1:56 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 1:56 PM
    As above your NCD will not be affected however if your wife is still a named driver on the other policy , then when you come to renew that policy , you will have to answer yes to the question ' had you or anyone named on the policy had an accident in the last 5 years.'
    This will inevitably increase your quote as she is now perceived to statistically because a greater risk.
    • noblelord
    • By noblelord 6th Jan 18, 2:37 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    noblelord
    • 6th Jan 18, 2:37 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 2:37 PM
    Thanks for the quick replies....much appreciated and now a bit relieved as she doesn't want to be on the insurance of the expensive car in the future now :-)
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 6th Jan 18, 2:43 PM
    • 1,015 Posts
    • 616 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 6th Jan 18, 2:43 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 2:43 PM
    I think you will also have to declare you have now made a claim when you renew the policy on the expensive car.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 6th Jan 18, 2:44 PM
    • 34,130 Posts
    • 18,081 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 6th Jan 18, 2:44 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 2:44 PM
    Even if your wife will no longer go on the expensive car as a named driver then you must still disclose your claim as part of your history when getting quotes
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 6th Jan 18, 4:00 PM
    • 380 Posts
    • 215 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    • 6th Jan 18, 4:00 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 4:00 PM
    Even if your wife will no longer go on the expensive car as a named driver then you must still disclose your claim as part of your history when getting quotes
    Originally posted by Quentin
    That doesn't sound right because you'd be getting penalised on two policies for one incident. On the one with 15 years NCD there has been no claim so nothing to report on that one I would have expected.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 6th Jan 18, 4:06 PM
    • 34,130 Posts
    • 18,081 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 6th Jan 18, 4:06 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 4:06 PM
    That doesn't sound right because you'd be getting penalised on two policies for one incident. On the one with 15 years NCD there has been no claim so nothing to report on that one I would have expected.
    Originally posted by EdGasketTheSecond
    No

Each insurer needs to know your history irrespective of how many policies you have
    • Aretnap
    • By Aretnap 6th Jan 18, 7:47 PM
    • 2,906 Posts
    • 2,413 Thanks
    Aretnap
    • 6th Jan 18, 7:47 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 7:47 PM
    Originally posted by EdGasketTheSecond
    The OP will be asked whether he has had any accidents or made any claims in the last 3 years (or 5, depending on the insurer). Clearly the correct answer to that question is "yes".

I had to make a claim.
    Originally posted by noblelord
    The 15 years NCD will not be affected as NCD is applied to a policy rather than to a person, but the OP must still disclose the claim if he is asked (as he inevitably will be),
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

920Posts Today

7,776Users online

Martin's Twitter