Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • amy2015
    • By amy2015 6th Jan 18, 8:49 AM
    • 33Posts
    • 9Thanks
    amy2015
    Car finance
    • 6th Jan 18, 8:49 AM
    Car finance 6th Jan 18 at 8:49 AM
    I am thinking of going for car finance I am limited for options due to historic defaults. One of the options was Money barn. My question is in a couple of years I would like to apply for a mortgage and will having a car finance with Money barn on my credit file cause me problems? How is it shown on your credit file? Thanks
Page 1
    • cjmillsnun
    • By cjmillsnun 6th Jan 18, 12:31 PM
    • 411 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    cjmillsnun
    • 6th Jan 18, 12:31 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 12:31 PM
    On your credit file, it will show the loan amount, the payment amounts and the term.

How historic are the defaults, and can you afford the repayments on the car you are looking at?

Is your current car reliable?

Would you be better putting aside the payments you would've spent on the car finance aside for 6 months or so and getting a cheaper car whilst you let your credit file improve.

In a couple of years you may then be able to get the car you want with a much better choice of finance.

Remember a car is a depreciating asset meaning that with finance, you will always lose out. Therefore it may be better to hang on, pay cash for something slightly more reliable and then get a better deal later on so you lose less.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 6th Jan 18, 3:45 PM
    • 1,927 Posts
    • 1,376 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 6th Jan 18, 3:45 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 3:45 PM
    Car finance like having other loans will have an impact on the amount of money you may be able to get on a mortgage due to the affordability test.

Get the mortgage then get the car.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,104Posts Today

7,643Users online

Martin's Twitter