Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mattpaint
    • By mattpaint 6th Jan 18, 4:17 AM
    • 47Posts
    • 62Thanks
    mattpaint
    Deposit problem
    • 6th Jan 18, 4:17 AM
    Deposit problem 6th Jan 18 at 4:17 AM
    Long story short - I live in a house share but am moving out in two weeks and it has just come to my attention that four months ago my landlords removed my deposit from the protection scheme and told them I had moved out and they haven't protected it again. The previous tenants have only just had their deposits returned from when they moved out four months ago and now I'm in the position where I have zero protection but need the deposit back reasonably quickly after I leave. The landlords are not reasonable people and this is a major reason I'm leaving as well as basic repairs not being carried out. How easy is it to sue for the return of the deposit and how fast is this process? Does anyone know please?
Page 2
    • saajan_12
    • By saajan_12 8th Jan 18, 9:23 AM
    • 1,038 Posts
    • 694 Thanks
    saajan_12
    It's not.- it's not what.. a public forum? Yes it is, as such you get the benefit of a wide range of people advising, but also have to take their chosen tone.
    It's also clear that if I chose to I could still sue my landlords for the return of my deposit for their scheming with the deposit and having the false tenancy start date on the deposit certificate. - you can choose to sue the queen, but it's VERY unlikely you'd win given the deposit has been protected in one way or another throughout the tenancy. I don't wish to do that - but given how they've behaved, I do want the leverage to force them to return my deposit in a timely manner and not mess about as they did with the other tenants. - you have no leverage, the LL has done nothing wrong. The guidance on 'timely' return of deposit is likely longer than you'd like, but there's little you can do about that. How they handled that is a large part of why I'm leaving. Thank you for your advice.
    Originally posted by mattpaint
    Relax, wait for the tenancy to end and THEN request the deposit back through the scheme. Don't antagonise before that, the deposit is protected and noone has done anything wrong.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

312Posts Today

3,690Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin