Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MatthewAinsworth
    • By MatthewAinsworth 5th Jan 18, 10:28 PM
    • 3,011Posts
    • 1,193Thanks
    MatthewAinsworth
    Insurance vs loan
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:28 PM
    Insurance vs loan 5th Jan 18 at 10:28 PM
    Hi everyone

I was wondering if its cheaper to insure things like boiler, contents, appliances, etc is cheaper than simply taking out a loan when necessary to pay for these things?

It occurred to me that insurance almost functions like credit - money is available when needed and the premiums are like repayments & interest on that, so basically with insurance you're spreading out the payments moreso whereas you wouldn't be doing so as much with a loan or credit card

Both loans and insurance make profit for banks, it'd be interesting to know which is more profitable for them, and what sort of interest rate insurance compares to, there is more tax on insurance I believe, which helps the loan side, but insurers invest your premiums which might mean they can do more with your money?
    Last edited by MatthewAinsworth; 05-01-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 6th Jan 18, 9:27 AM
    • 19,148 Posts
    • 14,822 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:27 AM
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:27 AM
    Before anybody wastes their time on a sensible reply I strongly recommend looking at the OPs recent threads.
    • MatthewAinsworth
    • By MatthewAinsworth 6th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    • 3,011 Posts
    • 1,193 Thanks
    MatthewAinsworth
    • 6th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    • 6th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    Where you will see thought provoking novel ideas discussed with utmost politeness
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,114Posts Today

8,318Users online

Martin's Twitter