Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stevebrum74
    • By stevebrum74 5th Jan 18, 8:30 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    stevebrum74
    Capquest and totally confused.
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:30 PM
    Capquest and totally confused. 5th Jan 18 at 8:30 PM
    Hello all
    I need your advice please.
    Today 5/1/18 i was called by a company who called themselves "Donning" and asked for me, i confirmed i was the person they are asking for, the gentleman then went off into a rant that i owed them £248.24 for an orange contract taken out and defaulted on in 2008.
    I never had an orange contract back then, in fact ive never had an orange contract, i was with o2 back when it was BTCellnet, and only changed to '3' this year.
    Anyway when i told this man on the phone that id never taken out a mobile with orange, he claimed that i must of been a victim of fraud, so i must fill out the paperwork they will be sending me.
    If i refuse they will put it on my credit file that ive defaulted, and have an agent call at my address, if i still refuse, then i will be taken to court.
    Can they do this with a ten year old debt? When i mentioned the statue of limitations he laughed and said that doesnt apply here.
    I have a decent credit rating and i dont want it wrecked, what can i do?
    I only now know this company as capquest as i googled the number.
    Last edited by stevebrum74; 05-01-2018 at 8:32 PM. Reason: typo
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 5th Jan 18, 9:01 PM
    • 13,035 Posts
    • 12,343 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:01 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:01 PM
    Seriously ?

Capquest coming out with olde style utter tosh again.

You are correct, limitations act 1980 will apply, so its most likley statute barred.

Never speak to these people on the phone, it’s never productive.

If it defaulted in 2008, it can’t reappear on your file, as for the rest, don’t make me laugh.

When they write to you, respond with the statute barred letter, it may or may not be your debt, but that’s probably the easiest way to deal with it.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • stevebrum74
    • By stevebrum74 5th Jan 18, 9:48 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    stevebrum74
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:48 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:48 PM
    Thank you very much
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

337Posts Today

2,319Users online

Martin's Twitter