Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • philip1427
    • By philip1427 5th Jan 18, 5:01 PM
    • 100Posts
    • 14Thanks
    philip1427
    10K Amex limit as a Student
    • 5th Jan 18, 5:01 PM
    10K Amex limit as a Student 5th Jan 18 at 5:01 PM
    Hi all I'm looking for some advice.

I have been a member of amex since 2016 and I recently was offered an uplift on my BA (bog standard no fee) card from 6.9K to 10K. Firstly I am shocked that they would give this to a student with a low income. Secondly, I usually only spend a few hundred a month on this one but I recently got a gold charge card and I am working towards the welcome bonus. Naturally I was going to cancel this card because I won't really have need for it and I can reapply for it again, say next year, to requailfy for the welcome bonus.

My question is... will it be likely I will be offered such a high limit again on a new card from Amex? I believe this is a great sign of being responsible and trustworthy to handle money and may help with mortgages down the line.

I would appreciate any input.
Page 1
    • zerog
    • By zerog 5th Jan 18, 5:05 PM
    • 2,318 Posts
    • 790 Thanks
    zerog
    • 5th Jan 18, 5:05 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 5:05 PM
    The only people who can answer your question (Amex underwriters) aren't allowed to tell you.

The plan of repeatedly getting the welcome bonus on the Gold card then the welcome bonus on the BA card every 9 months (or however long it takes you to spend to the threshold + 6 months wait after cancelling) sounds good.
    Last edited by zerog; 05-01-2018 at 5:09 PM.
    • philip1427
    • By philip1427 5th Jan 18, 5:08 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    philip1427
    • 5th Jan 18, 5:08 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 5:08 PM
    The only people who can answer your question (Amex underwriters) aren't allowed to tell you.

The plan of getting the welcome bonus on the Gold card then the welcome on the BA card every 9 months (or however long it takes you to spend to the threshold + 6 months wait after cancelling) sounds good.
    Originally posted by zerog
    Its would be a shame to lose it but as you say at this point in my life welcome bonuses are more attractive.

My plan at the minute is to use Gold for a year then BA for the following year because I feel if i compress the timeframe anymore it may negatively impact my relationship with Amex.
    • zerog
    • By zerog 5th Jan 18, 5:09 PM
    • 2,318 Posts
    • 790 Thanks
    zerog
    • 5th Jan 18, 5:09 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 5:09 PM
    Its would be a shame to lose it but as you say at this point in my life welcome bonuses are more attractive.

My plan at the minute is to use Gold for a year then BA for the following year because I feel if i compress the timeframe anymore it may negatively impact my relationship with Amex.
    Originally posted by philip1427

What I do know is that several people with high incomes (like almost 6 figures) who already have Amex Gold/Plat and one of the credit cards, who have been Amex customers for 10-20 years, are getting refused when they reapply for a second credit card too soon after cancelling one, and this is new in 2017, so may be pointing towards a change in Amex's tolerance of churning. Amex welcome bonuses in the US are already once per lifetime now.
    • philip1427
    • By philip1427 5th Jan 18, 5:18 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    philip1427
    • 5th Jan 18, 5:18 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 5:18 PM
    What I do know is that several people with high incomes (like almost 6 figures) who already have Amex Gold/Plat and one of the credit cards, who have been Amex customers for 10-20 years, are getting refused when they reapply for a second credit card too soon after cancelling one, and this is new in 2017, so may be pointing towards a change in Amex's tolerance of churning. Amex welcome bonuses in the US are already once per lifetime now.
    Originally posted by zerog
    Could you talk a bit more about this? How soon is too soon? This would be helpful for me
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

319Posts Today

3,908Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin