Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sghughes42
    • By sghughes42 5th Jan 18, 2:55 PM
    • 366Posts
    • 20Thanks
    sghughes42
    Commuting, Social or Business use?
    • 5th Jan 18, 2:55 PM
    Commuting, Social or Business use? 5th Jan 18 at 2:55 PM
    A discussion at work today has prompted a thought that I can't find a clear answer to.

My car insurance has cover for SDP+C, however occasionally I will go direct from work to collect my wife from her place of work then we have a meal, do some shopping etc then go home.

Do I have the correct cover for this? Does the journey to her place of work count as commuting or social use? If the former then I would guess I need business cover as I'm only covered to one place of work.

I think my normal usage is OK - I drop her off and collect her from a bus stop which is on my normal route to work so I'm not diverging from my commute, only pausing it briefly.

I've read that diverting from your normal route to take someone to work does need business cover, however I'm only collecting her so we can do something social so I'm not sure how this is counted?
Page 1
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 5th Jan 18, 3:02 PM
    • 839 Posts
    • 698 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:02 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:02 PM
    No idea but why not get basic business cover it does not add anything to the cost in most cases. Even reduced mine when I added it.
    • sghughes42
    • By sghughes42 5th Jan 18, 3:04 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    sghughes42
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:04 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:04 PM
    No idea but why not get basic business cover it does not add anything to the cost in most cases. Even reduced mine when I added it.
    Originally posted by Carrot007
    I'll certainly look in to that when I renew, however as I'm half way through a policy I'd rather not pay the policy modification charge unless I have to.
    • ConMan
    • By ConMan 5th Jan 18, 3:20 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    ConMan
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:20 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:20 PM
    When I worked in that sort of department, the b/use was for the single person. I.e. going to more than one place of work for yourself. Picking your wife up wouldn't be classed as b/use.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 5th Jan 18, 3:29 PM
    • 61,301 Posts
    • 358,889 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:29 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:29 PM
    It's social, pure and simple. If it's a mate, your wife, your bit on the side or the lady who lives in the corner house you're doing it for sociable reasons. You're not going to/from work, you're going on a journey of your own choosing for your own enjoyment.
    • sghughes42
    • By sghughes42 5th Jan 18, 3:48 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    sghughes42
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:48 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:48 PM
    It's social, pure and simple. If it's a mate, your wife, your bit on the side or the lady who lives in the corner house you're doing it for sociable reasons. You're not going to/from work, you're going on a journey of your own choosing for your own enjoyment.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    That's pretty much what I thought to be honest, it was only when I found a few sources saying that dropping someone else at a different place of work on your way to work needs business use not just commuting that I started questioning it.

(One of those sources was the Sun so is as likely to be reliable as everything else they print...)
    • Supernova
    • By Supernova 8th Jan 18, 8:04 PM
    • 662 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Supernova
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:04 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:04 PM
    Originally posted by Carrot007
    Just out of interest, what does basic business cover...cover? And is it usually free?

Thanks!
    S
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 8th Jan 18, 9:29 PM
    • 2,602 Posts
    • 4,029 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:29 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:29 PM
    Class 1 Business use covers travel as part of your business, for example travel to more than one place of work - we have it on our cars because we run our own business. It's free from most insurers I believe. It doesn't cover carrying passengers for business purposes, or carrying stock.

Your standard SDP+C cover absolutely covers you for dropping/picking up your wife. You would only need Class 1 if you were travelling to more than one place where you worked.
    • Supernova
    • By Supernova 8th Jan 18, 11:57 PM
    • 662 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Supernova
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:57 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:57 PM
    Class 1 Business use covers travel as part of your business
    Originally posted by trailingspouse
    OK, thanks. I just looked up the different classes and Class 1 seems to be multiple destinations but only short distances. Would it cover occasional long distances or does that then become Class 3?

Cheers!
    S
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 9th Jan 18, 1:40 PM
    • 2,602 Posts
    • 4,029 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    https://www.admiral.com/magazine/car-insurance/which-class-of-use
    • Supernova
    • By Supernova 9th Jan 18, 1:58 PM
    • 662 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Supernova
    Thank you!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

712Posts Today

6,859Users online

Martin's Twitter