Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MatthewAinsworth
    • By MatthewAinsworth 5th Jan 18, 1:24 PM
    • 3,011Posts
    • 1,193Thanks
    MatthewAinsworth
    Leaving a job is a breach of a "permanent" contract...
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:24 PM
    Leaving a job is a breach of a "permanent" contract... 5th Jan 18 at 1:24 PM
    Hi everyone

I feel the expectation of an employer to honour a permanent contract eternally but not the employee is wrong in law. If you were to leave a phone contract prematurely you'd have to buy it out, why do we not have the same with employment too? The employer should be able to sue the employee the value of the work they're nolonger providing, for as long as the contract would otherwise apply (I.e. in perpetuity).

This would increase the supply of labour which would help keep wages and conditions under control, which would ultimately help everybody's investments. With this change employers wouldn't be forced to increase wages unless it was stipulated in contract
Page 3
    • MatthewAinsworth
    • By MatthewAinsworth 6th Jan 18, 6:00 AM
    • 3,011 Posts
    • 1,193 Thanks
    MatthewAinsworth
    Manxman -
    By "fund" I assume you mean pension fund and not savings? I've probably had too many vodkas, but the back of my fag packet suggests you are assuming around 15% pa growth excluding the effects of inflation over a period of 35 years(!) Really? I can remember at one point when I was at university inflation was running at about 26% pa and investments were not doing 15% better than that. Have you had advice from an Independent Financial Advisor about this assumption? That's what I'd want and I'd be willing to pay for it.
    Pension/ s&s isa yes (guaranteed? no, but its a good length of time to achieve the historical average)

15% growth - that is my assumpion, as global small cap has been doing the last 15 or so years that I can see when I google the msci global small cap index. The fees from account and platform are a small downer on that however and admittedly the historical average for small cap over 100 years is only 12% I'm told, so it may take a couple of years more/ a bit of contribution, but "a million" still reality.

I haven't factored in inflation because I'm not claiming I'd have a real terms million by then, just the number of a million to make the point that that is possible. Even my house if it compounds at 5% will value over a million in my lifetime, and I have a db pension like you do too, but unless you can/will cash that out there doedsnt seem much sense in assigning it its value in bonds (x30) when most people wouldn't live 30 years after state pension age

Ultimately I can't do much more about inflation than I'm already doing - the equities will be the companies raising their prices however and I intend to let the mortgage drag out to let that inflate away

And 5 years on from that numerical million I ought to have something more like a real terms million

Some of the people on here are financial advisors, so I've had unofficial, free, advice - but because of the monevator blog I do see financial advisors as... Not our best friends...as they push expensive active funds when indexing usually does better

A contract that can be inherited, or sold, would be leasehold for example, something of value
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 6th Jan 18, 7:57 AM
    • 1,145 Posts
    • 960 Thanks
    ThemeOne
    Fear is only a good way to motivate a workforce if your employees understand nothing but threats and intimidation. You can find such people very easily, but I suggest they're not the best for most enterprises, plus they will take the first chance they can to get their own back on you.
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 6th Jan 18, 8:16 AM
    • 1,145 Posts
    • 960 Thanks
    ThemeOne
    The place for "debate" is the discussion time board, a fact I am sure that you are aware of. Your propositions are an insult to working people

There is no philosophy in here. I'd normally suggest it's actually economics, but in fact it isn't economics either

I think that you would find this debate more fruitful at a Tory party funders meeting - but they might thing you too right wing for their company. But keep an eye on the White House. There are always openings for lunatics there....
    Originally posted by sangie595
    Maybe if "there is no philosophy in here" you should avoid advertising your political opinions - this is not the first time you've done so.

Perhaps as a leftie you simply assume that all sensible people agree with you.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 6th Jan 18, 9:04 AM
    • 4,390 Posts
    • 7,321 Thanks
    sangie595
    Maybe if "there is no philosophy in here" you should avoid advertising your political opinions - this is not the first time you've done so.

Perhaps as a leftie you simply assume that all sensible people agree with you.
    Originally posted by ThemeOne
    Oh, I missed the rule that said I wasn't allowed to express opinions, political or otherwise. And it may be your assumption that I think all people agree with me, but it isn't mine. If you don't like my politics, or anything else, feel free not to read my posts.
    • MatthewAinsworth
    • By MatthewAinsworth 6th Jan 18, 9:11 AM
    • 3,011 Posts
    • 1,193 Thanks
    MatthewAinsworth
    I think from when I used to have left wing views, that it's easy to say "let's look after the poor", and it's easy to see business as the villains, and it's easy to see government as responsible, our media does very little to let you think otherwise

Understanding how supply side economics works isn't easy or obvious, and the benefits are diluted across so many customers that it's hard to see the benefits your giving wider society for what you have to do to a small number of workers. It's also a bitter pill to swallow that nothing is free and things like minimum wage rises are effectively just a tax hike on workers (you have to pay more for services) - also we're an economy that imports so we tend to not consider much the cost of higher wages on what we buy
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,354Posts Today

8,703Users online

Martin's Twitter