Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kippers
    • By kippers 5th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    • 1,937Posts
    • 5,908Thanks
    kippers
    Getting someone in to lay loft flooring...
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    Getting someone in to lay loft flooring... 5th Jan 18 at 1:20 PM
    We need to put boards down in our loft so we can put things into our loft easily and not have them balanced around our loft hatch (as they are at the moment)....neither me or my DH are any good at DIY so we need to get people in to do this for us.

My question is....what should we be looking for when people give us quotes ie thickness of insulation?....what thickness of boards?...etc etc

Neither me or my DH have a clue what to checkout about the companies before we ask for quotes so any help would be appreciated so we don't get ripped-off.

Thank you in anticipation of your replies.

XXX
Page 1
    • missile
    • By missile 6th Jan 18, 9:09 AM
    • 9,148 Posts
    • 4,479 Thanks
    missile
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:09 AM
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:09 AM
    The recommended thickness is 270mm insulation. To achieve this you would need to install posts on the joists before laying the boards and that will be expensive.

You might want to compromise and lay boards directly onto the joists in a storage area with thicker insulation elsewhere.

We were quoted £2,000 to do our loft
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • oz0707
    • By oz0707 6th Jan 18, 9:14 AM
    • 506 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    oz0707
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:14 AM
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:14 AM
    Local one man band carpenter or handyman is your best bet
    • oz0707
    • By oz0707 6th Jan 18, 9:15 AM
    • 506 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    oz0707
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:15 AM
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:15 AM
    Think loft Flooring is all 18mm chipboard. Get stilts and 270mm insulation as said above
    • Pdbaggett
    • By Pdbaggett 6th Jan 18, 10:59 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Pdbaggett
    • 6th Jan 18, 10:59 AM
    • 6th Jan 18, 10:59 AM
    I know you said you have no diy ability but seriously this is one of the easiest things you can do in a house. Is there already insulation down? Just get some loft stilts avalible from bandq and 18mm chipboard or MDF again loft hoards are avalible from bandq they slot toghrther and get screwed into the plastic loft stilt. I did mine it cost me less than £100 and took a day.

Failing that just get a local handy man in don't bother with a builder you will get charged far to much for something that is very easy to do.
    • 27cool
    • By 27cool 6th Jan 18, 11:22 AM
    • 259 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    27cool
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:22 AM
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:22 AM
    You don't need a "company" to do this. It is probably the easiest of DIY jobs and could be done by almost anyone. However, if you really are unable to contemplate DIY then all you need is a local handyman who would probably think it was money for old rope. Or, indeed, any competent DIYer.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 6th Jan 18, 12:08 PM
    • 2,136 Posts
    • 2,859 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 6th Jan 18, 12:08 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 12:08 PM
    This was about 6 years ago, mind you, but we paid a local company to replace the standard hatch with a double sized hatch, fit a set of pull-down wooden stairs and board about 2/3rds of the (large) loft.

Done in a day, and cost £800.

Yes, we could have managed the flooring ourselves - but not the new hatch and stairs.

Add:

Just googled the company we used but can't find them. There are similar companies out there though - you'd just need to do your homework.
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 06-01-2018 at 12:25 PM.
    • dancing_star
    • By dancing_star 7th Jan 18, 2:48 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    dancing_star
    • 7th Jan 18, 2:48 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 2:48 PM
    I've done mine this weekend.

I'm not the world's most competent DIYer (I borrowed my dad's electric screwdriver) but boarding 1/3 of the loft took half a day, on my own. Would have been quicker if I had a helper.

Try this link
    http://www.wickes.co.uk/how-to-guides/loft-storage
    and this one
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu7yJTO7Th8

It's cost me less than £100 to do and I still have stuff to do another 1/3 of the loft (I bought the last boxes of Loft Legs in Wickes, so am waiting for the remainder to come into store).

Top tip = use a headtorch as well as a loft light.

Seriously, when I thought about how much I'd pay someone else to do something that easy, even though it's a bit unpleasant, I just got on with it. Doesn't matter if the result isn't perfect, you're not going to be looking at it every day.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 8th Jan 18, 8:32 PM
    • 882 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:32 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:32 PM
    Running for less than a year with a company valued at £100.

I hope you have permission to post.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 8th Jan 18, 9:44 PM
    • 882 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    A helpful post for DIY dunces such as myself - but unfortunately I think your signature may not comply with forum rules, as it would be classed as promoting a business.

Plenty of us have skills and advise to share on this forum that are useful to others, which we share in good faith (you can see by my posting history that I am a committed contributor!). But by being non-attributable, its akin to advice from a stranger in a pub.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    So why have you quoted it? The post has been removed.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 8th Jan 18, 9:47 PM
    • 24,530 Posts
    • 51,926 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    So why have you quoted it? The post has been removed.
    Originally posted by Warwick Hunt
    The problem was with the signature, rather than the content being blatant self-advertising. The advice - starting from ground-zero - I found useful.

How I wish I was handy
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 9th Jan 18, 11:44 AM
    • 839 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    sevenhills
    It can be done very cheaply yourself, or

http://eco-lofts.co.uk/packages/standard-package/

There is a web page giving costings, for your own requirements.

• firefox1956
    • By firefox1956 9th Jan 18, 4:22 PM
    • 1,422 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    firefox1956
    Yes its dead easy & cheap to do yourself.....until you put your foot through a bedroom ceiling !!
    • googler
    • By googler 9th Jan 18, 4:38 PM
    • 14,562 Posts
    • 9,439 Thanks
    googler
    We need to put boards down in our loft so we can put things into our loft easily and not have them balanced around our loft hatch (as they are at the moment)....neither me or my DH are any good at DIY so we need to get people in to do this for us.

Seriously, all it takes is the skill to drill holes and use a screwdriver. If you want any cut to size, you need to use a saw. You may be able to get away without cutting if you don't fill all available space, and just use whatever boards will fit uncut

My question is....what should we be looking for when people give us quotes ie thickness of insulation?....what thickness of boards?...etc etc

Just fill the space between joists with insulation (which may be there already) to the top of the joists and put board on top, fixing it to the joists as you go. Use screws, not nails.

The DIY sheds, B&Q, Wickes etc. will have ready-made loft boards. They'll do. Don't need to consider thickness at all. Just buy loft boards

Neither me or my DH have a clue what to checkout about the companies before we ask for quotes so any help would be appreciated so we don't get ripped-off.
    Originally posted by kippers
    Seriously, take the plunge and do it yourself. You'll enjoy the satisfaction of doing it yourself, knowing how it's been done, and of saving money

Whilst most everyone above has suggested loft legs and lots of insulation, this is by no means obligatory. If you don't have that degree of insulation at the moment, you won't miss it.

Start from the hatch and work your way outward. First boards can be installed while on your ladder, or sitting on the side of the hatch, and from there you have a stable platform to work from.
    Last edited by googler; 09-01-2018 at 4:47 PM.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 9th Jan 18, 4:45 PM
    • 4,856 Posts
    • 6,433 Thanks
    spadoosh
    I saw an advert on facebook for a guy offering to board lofts.

Something like 12m2 of flooring, larger laddered loft hatch installed and a light installed for about £350. I like my DIY but id say it was worth it purely for not having to be in a loft for a day.
    Don't be angry!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,306Posts Today

9,819Users online

Martin's Twitter